XP Home and Vista Home Networking

=?Utf-8?B?bmF0YWxpZQ==?=

XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running XP
Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot file/print
share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I don't see
why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure successful
networking between the two.

Thanks!
Jason H

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium machine
and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a printer
easily.

"natalie" <natalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running XP
> Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot file/print
> share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I don't
> see
> why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure
> successful
> networking between the two.
>
> Thanks!

BillW

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
I have exactly the same setup. My 2 XP computers are Dells that are
networking with a Vista computer. They all see each other and share files
and printers.

"Jason H" <jasonlhaynes@COLDmail.com> wrote in message
> They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium
> machine and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a
> printer easily.
>
> "natalie" <natalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running
>> XP
>> Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot file/print
>> share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I don't
>> see
>> why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure
>> successful
>> networking between the two.
>>
>> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuYS1NYXJpZQ==?=

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
In that case, can you please tell me how on earth you got it to work? I have
installed the LLTP on my xp machine, I can see my xp computer but I can't
touch it or access files. What did you do to make it work??? Anyone?

"Jason H" wrote:

> They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium machine
> and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a printer
> easily.
>
> "natalie" <natalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running XP
> > Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot file/print
> > share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I don't
> > see
> > why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure
> > successful
> > networking between the two.
> >
> > Thanks!

Jason H

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Are the computers in the same workgroup? Have you selected any folders or
drives to share? I've heard a lot of people having success using Network
Magic from http://www.networkmagic.com/.

"Dana-Marie" <Dana-Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In that case, can you please tell me how on earth you got it to work? I
> have
> installed the LLTP on my xp machine, I can see my xp computer but I can't
> touch it or access files. What did you do to make it work??? Anyone?
>
> "Jason H" wrote:
>
>> They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium
>> machine
>> and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a printer
>> easily.
>>
>> "natalie" <natalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running
>> > XP
>> > Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot
>> > file/print
>> > share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I
>> > don't
>> > see
>> > why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure
>> > successful
>> > networking between the two.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?RG9yb3RoeQ==?=

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Please some one help i have Vista home prem. and my husband has windows xp
home help how to we set it up right. i can get on the internet but he can not
see my things we downloaded the lltd or what ever that file was called. is
there a book some where i did not get good instrustions with this computer

"Dana-Marie" wrote:

> In that case, can you please tell me how on earth you got it to work? I have
> installed the LLTP on my xp machine, I can see my xp computer but I can't
> touch it or access files. What did you do to make it work??? Anyone?
>
> "Jason H" wrote:
>
> > They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium machine
> > and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a printer
> > easily.
> >
> > "natalie" <natalie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can a pc running Vista Home be setup to network with another pc running XP
> > > Home? Dell is informing me that the two HOME additions cannot file/print
> > > share, that you would have to purchase the Business addition, but I don't
> > > see
> > > why not? If this is possible, can some detail the steps to ensure
> > > successful
> > > networking between the two.
> > >
> > > Thanks!

BillW

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Got to the following link and follow the setup instructions very carefully.
Then check your firewall settings - even turn it off to make sure that
everything is okay if it's anything other than the Window firewall. Windows
firewall will handle everything automatically. Good luck

"Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please some one help i have Vista home prem. and my husband has windows xp
> home help how to we set it up right. i can get on the internet but he can
> not
> see my things we downloaded the lltd or what ever that file was called. is
> there a book some where i did not get good instrustions with this computer
>
> "Dana-Marie" wrote:
>
>> In that case, can you please tell me how on earth you got it to work? I
>> have
>> installed the LLTP on my xp machine, I can see my xp computer but I can't
>> touch it or access files. What did you do to make it work??? Anyone?
>>
>> "Jason H" wrote:
>>
>> > They can be networked without a problem. I have a Vista Home Premium
>> > machine
>> > and 2 XP Home machines on my home network and share files and a printer
>> > easily.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuYS1NYXJpZQ==?=

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Thanks Bill and Jason. I had already tried that link Bill, now I will try
Jason's networkmagic suggestion. So far I have done absolutely EVERYTHING.
I have completely disabled all firewalls, set shared folders, made the
workgroup names and netowrk names all match. I've done the usb flash tricks
where it copies your network settings and puts them on each computer, I've
done the xp thing where you insert the xp cd on vista and follow the network
settings there... I have SERIOUSLY DONE IT ALL and it still does not freaking
work. I spent 7 hours straight on Monday doing this, I even ate dinner at my
desk... I'm going insane. Natalie and Dorothy I feel your pain. If anyone
has more suggestions, I'm all ears. Give me another week and I'm
uninstalling vista and putting xp on. I'd throw my new laptop out the
freakin window if it wasn't so damn expensive. Thanks everyone. Do you
think Microsoft will allow me to say MICROSOFT SUCKS on their own website?

"BillW" wrote:

> Got to the following link and follow the setup instructions very carefully.
> Then check your firewall settings - even turn it off to make sure that
> everything is okay if it's anything other than the Window firewall. Windows
> firewall will handle everything automatically. Good luck

> "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please some one help i have Vista home prem. and my husband has windows xp
> > home help how to we set it up right. i can get on the internet but he can
> > not
> > see my things we downloaded the lltd or what ever that file was called. is
> > there a book some where i did not get good instrustions with this computer
> >
> > "Dana-Marie" wrote:
> >
> >> In that case, can you please tell me how on earth you got it to work? I
> >> have
> >> installed the LLTP on my xp machine, I can see my xp computer but I can't
> >> touch it or access files. What did you do to make it work??? Anyone?

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuYS1NYXJpZQ==?=

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
I finally did get my file sharing to work, sort of. I can now share files
from xp to vista. I still can not share from vista to xp though. The xp
machine says that I need 'permission' from the network administrator. I
guess I'll have to ask myself for permission the next time I see me. Dorothy
and Natalie, I solved part of the problem by reseting and reconfiguring my
wireless router. It seems there was a setting error there. I don't think
that WEP is encryption compatible with Vista, that's just a guess. Sorry to
Microsoft for saying you suck, but thanks for giving me the liberty to do so.
Once I figure out how to get vista to share with xp, I'll completely retract
my comment.

"Dana-Marie" wrote:

> Thanks Bill and Jason. I had already tried that link Bill, now I will try
> Jason's networkmagic suggestion. So far I have done absolutely EVERYTHING.
> I have completely disabled all firewalls, set shared folders, made the
> workgroup names and netowrk names all match. I've done the usb flash tricks
> where it copies your network settings and puts them on each computer, I've
> done the xp thing where you insert the xp cd on vista and follow the network
> settings there... I have SERIOUSLY DONE IT ALL and it still does not freaking
> work. I spent 7 hours straight on Monday doing this, I even ate dinner at my
> desk... I'm going insane. Natalie and Dorothy I feel your pain. If anyone
> has more suggestions, I'm all ears. Give me another week and I'm
> uninstalling vista and putting xp on. I'd throw my new laptop out the
> freakin window if it wasn't so damn expensive. Thanks everyone. Do you
> think Microsoft will allow me to say MICROSOFT SUCKS on their own website?
>
> "BillW" wrote:
>
> > Got to the following link and follow the setup instructions very carefully.
> > Then check your firewall settings - even turn it off to make sure that
> > everything is okay if it's anything other than the Window firewall. Windows
> > firewall will handle everything automatically. Good luck
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >

> > "Dorothy" <Dorothy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Please some one help i have Vista home prem. and my husband has windows xp
> > > home help how to we set it up right. i can get on the internet but he can
> > > not
> > > see my things we downloaded the lltd or what ever that file was called. is
> > > there a book some where i did not get good instrustions with this computer

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: XP Home and Vista Home Networking
Dana-Marie,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. Please run a quick check of the
following:
- Ensure every machine is in the same workgroup and same subnet
- Ensure only one firewall is enabled per machine
- Set Network Category to Home/Work (Private)
- Ensure every user account has a non-empty password
- Create the same user account (with the same password) on all machines
- Ensure password protected sharing is ON
- Use 'Sharing Wizard' to create/manage shares

Please post back with the result.

Thanks