Save drive image to network storage device

Charlie

Save drive image to network storage device
Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me to
save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using Norton
Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

R. McCarty

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
Acronis offers a free trial at:
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

"Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me to
> save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using Norton
> Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

Charlie

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
Thank you am downloading it now...
Charlie

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
> you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
> Acronis offers a free trial at:
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
>
> "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me
>> to save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using
>> Norton Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

Simon Berube

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
TrueImage is incredible, and so very affordable too! Ghost was an amazing
product back in the day, but hardware has changed and Norton didn't keep up.
I seriously considered purchasing Norton to make multiple workstations for
my father's business. I had a Ghost 2003 edition that didn't cut it because
of incompatibilities with the hardware. I assumed that the latest version
would resolve the issue, mainly SATA.

Luckily I ended up trusting the Newegg customer reviews. My perception of
the Ghost software was that it was leading, robust software which was in a
league of its own. However, the ratings were awful, and I looked into the
competition. TrueImage was cheap and downloadable right from Newegg, so I
saved both time and money. That stuff is amazing. You can prepare many
media types as boot media. From this, you can clone drives, get and send
image files to and from CD-R media, USB, network shares, DVD. I was just
impressed, because they made that media resemble the XP luna theme and it's
always easy to use.

In my case, I installed the software on my server, set the network boot
options, and with every system, I used boot from network option and it was
same as if I had put in the boot CD. I made an image from one computer,
which saved directly to a network share, and I then pulled that image from
several identical workstations (also with the boot from network ability) to
save time. This software is up to date, extra robust software, that easy to
use.

Only thing that I would comment about, is that if you choose to use the
network to do these things, you may need to type /SERVER/C or whatever your
shared folder may be. Most of the time the entire network was viewable, but
sometimes I gave it direction .

Good luck with it Charlie.. Oh .. and if it is not apparent, I am not being
payed to say such things, it's incredible software and I want to let it be
known.

Simon

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
> you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
> Acronis offers a free trial at:
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
>
> "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me
>> to save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using
>> Norton Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
Hi Simon,

Thanks for this info. I used Ghost until they required an upgrade for every
new OS. With 500 workstations it got too expensive. I will investigate
TrueImage.

I have been using Partimage which is a linux imaging program that works
GREAT on XP and 2000 but haven't tested it on Vista.

Vista does have its own deployment imaging but you need one CD per machine
which isn't fun.

Cheers,
Lara

"Simon Berube" wrote:

> TrueImage is incredible, and so very affordable too! Ghost was an amazing
> product back in the day, but hardware has changed and Norton didn't keep up.
> I seriously considered purchasing Norton to make multiple workstations for
> my father's business. I had a Ghost 2003 edition that didn't cut it because
> of incompatibilities with the hardware. I assumed that the latest version
> would resolve the issue, mainly SATA.
>
> Luckily I ended up trusting the Newegg customer reviews. My perception of
> the Ghost software was that it was leading, robust software which was in a
> league of its own. However, the ratings were awful, and I looked into the
> competition. TrueImage was cheap and downloadable right from Newegg, so I
> saved both time and money. That stuff is amazing. You can prepare many
> media types as boot media. From this, you can clone drives, get and send
> image files to and from CD-R media, USB, network shares, DVD. I was just
> impressed, because they made that media resemble the XP luna theme and it's
> always easy to use.
>
> In my case, I installed the software on my server, set the network boot
> options, and with every system, I used boot from network option and it was
> same as if I had put in the boot CD. I made an image from one computer,
> which saved directly to a network share, and I then pulled that image from
> several identical workstations (also with the boot from network ability) to
> save time. This software is up to date, extra robust software, that easy to
> use.
>
> Only thing that I would comment about, is that if you choose to use the
> network to do these things, you may need to type /SERVER/C or whatever your
> shared folder may be. Most of the time the entire network was viewable, but
> sometimes I gave it direction .
>
> Good luck with it Charlie.. Oh .. and if it is not apparent, I am not being
> payed to say such things, it's incredible software and I want to let it be
> known.
>
> Simon
>
> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
> > you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
> > Acronis offers a free trial at:
> > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
> >
> > "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me
> >> to save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using
> >> Norton Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

Michal Kawecki

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
"Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow
> me to save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using
> Norton Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

Complete PC Backup works, there is a command line utility wbadmin.exe
which can save onto networked drives. From 3rd party utilities try Drive
Snapshot http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/home.htm - it's compatible wih
Vista and reliable small tool. I use it from years in all my systems and
recommend it.
--
Michal Kawecki [Windows - Shell/User MVP]
Warsaw, PL

Simon Berube

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
I'm pretty sure that the drive imaging in Vista is only in in Ultimate and
Business editions, too.

"lforbes" <lforbes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> shared folder may be. Most of the time the entire network was viewable,
>> but
>> sometimes I gave it direction .
>>
>> Good luck with it Charlie.. Oh .. and if it is not apparent, I am not
>> being
>> payed to say such things, it's incredible software and I want to let it
>> be
>> known.
>>
>> Simon
>>
>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
>> > you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
>> > Acronis offers a free trial at:
>> > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
One quick question. What version do you own? Is it like Ghost where you
have to license every computer you image?

Thanks
Lara

"Simon Berube" wrote:

> TrueImage is incredible, and so very affordable too! Ghost was an amazing
> product back in the day, but hardware has changed and Norton didn't keep up.
> I seriously considered purchasing Norton to make multiple workstations for
> my father's business. I had a Ghost 2003 edition that didn't cut it because
> of incompatibilities with the hardware. I assumed that the latest version
> would resolve the issue, mainly SATA.
>
> Luckily I ended up trusting the Newegg customer reviews. My perception of
> the Ghost software was that it was leading, robust software which was in a
> league of its own. However, the ratings were awful, and I looked into the
> competition. TrueImage was cheap and downloadable right from Newegg, so I
> saved both time and money. That stuff is amazing. You can prepare many
> media types as boot media. From this, you can clone drives, get and send
> image files to and from CD-R media, USB, network shares, DVD. I was just
> impressed, because they made that media resemble the XP luna theme and it's
> always easy to use.
>
> In my case, I installed the software on my server, set the network boot
> options, and with every system, I used boot from network option and it was
> same as if I had put in the boot CD. I made an image from one computer,
> which saved directly to a network share, and I then pulled that image from
> several identical workstations (also with the boot from network ability) to
> save time. This software is up to date, extra robust software, that easy to
> use.
>
> Only thing that I would comment about, is that if you choose to use the
> network to do these things, you may need to type /SERVER/C or whatever your
> shared folder may be. Most of the time the entire network was viewable, but
> sometimes I gave it direction .
>
> Good luck with it Charlie.. Oh .. and if it is not apparent, I am not being
> payed to say such things, it's incredible software and I want to let it be
> known.
>
> Simon
>
> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Acronis True Image Home Version 10.0.4942 might be a solution for
> > you. Very capable Imaging program and works well with Vista.
> > Acronis offers a free trial at:
> > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/
> >
> > "Charlie" <charlie@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there any Vista compatible drive imaging software that will allow me
> >> to save my local image to a network drive? With XP I had been using
> >> Norton Ghost but they have no solution for Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?bGZvcmJlcw==?=

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
Yes. I work in a Domain so the only imaging I do would be with Business. I
don't image my home machines where I run Vista Home Premium.

Cheers,
Lara

"Simon Berube" wrote:

> [...]
> >> same as if I had put in the boot CD. I made an image from one computer,
> >> which saved directly to a network share, and I then pulled that image
> >> from
> >> several identical workstations (also with the boot from network ability)
> >> save time. This software is up to date, extra robust software, that easy
> >> use.
> >>
> >> Only thing that I would comment about, is that if you choose to use the
> >> network to do these things, you may need to type /SERVER/C or whatever
> >> your
> >> shared folder may be. Most of the time the entire network was viewable,
> >> but
> >> sometimes I gave it direction .
> >>
> >> Good luck with it Charlie.. Oh .. and if it is not apparent, I am not
> >> being
> >> payed to say such things, it's incredible software and I want to let it

Tom Allen

Re: Save drive image to network storage device
It is not entirely Vista compliant. With my Vista Home Premium the True
Image (10.0.4940) 'explore' function, to look at the contents of an
archive, does not work. There are other reports of this and Acronis are
looking at it.