I just want to share files!!

=?Utf-8?B?UmVlY2lvODU=?=

I just want to share files!!
I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my main desktop computer and Windows XP
Professional on my laptop. They are both connected wirelessly to my D-link
wireless router and they can both access the internet without any problems.

The Vista machine has one password protected user account and the guest
account is off. The XP Pro laptop has one non-password user account and the
guest account is also off.

Both machines are set to the workgroup name of "WORKGROUP" and file and
printer sharing is also enabled on both machines.

However, neither machine can see eachother, they ping eachother no problem,
but I just cannot get them to see eachother at all. Its so frustrating!!
Anyone got any suggestions? The Windows Vista help suggestions haven't
helped me at all.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: I just want to share files!!
You may want to create the same username in the remote computer. This link may help,

Vista common issue - can see but access
http://www.chicagotech.net/forum1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Reecio85" <Reecio85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F6FA6D7-CDEB-4C9E-8847-62CBE0D253EC@microsoft.com...
I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my main desktop computer and Windows XP
Professional on my laptop. They are both connected wirelessly to my D-link
wireless router and they can both access the internet without any problems.

The Vista machine has one password protected user account and the guest
account is off. The XP Pro laptop has one non-password user account and the
guest account is also off.

Both machines are set to the workgroup name of "WORKGROUP" and file and
printer sharing is also enabled on both machines.

However, neither machine can see eachother, they ping eachother no problem,
but I just cannot get them to see eachother at all. Its so frustrating!!
Anyone got any suggestions? The Windows Vista help suggestions haven't
helped me at all.
Lang Murphy

Re: I just want to share files!!
Stoopid question... but is file sharing turned on on both PC's?

Lang

"Reecio85" <Reecio85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my main desktop computer and Windows XP
> Professional on my laptop. They are both connected wirelessly to my
> D-link
> wireless router and they can both access the internet without any
> problems.
>
> The Vista machine has one password protected user account and the guest
> account is off. The XP Pro laptop has one non-password user account and
> the
> guest account is also off.
>
> Both machines are set to the workgroup name of "WORKGROUP" and file and
> printer sharing is also enabled on both machines.
>
> However, neither machine can see eachother, they ping eachother no
> problem,
> but I just cannot get them to see eachother at all. Its so frustrating!!
> Anyone got any suggestions? The Windows Vista help suggestions haven't
> helped me at all.

=?Utf-8?B?UmVlY2lvODU=?=

Re: I just want to share files!!
Hi Guys,
in regards to Lang Murphy's question, yes, read the inital post more
carefully!

Secondly, I managed to get it all working in the end, you know what it was!?
The damn usb wireless dongle, it was a cheap one I bought off ebay, I
swapped it with a D-link one I had lying around, then things started to
happen, but I did have to disable Windows firewall on the XP Pro machine, for
some reason, running the network and printer setup wizard turns firewall back
on so make sure you remember this if your trying to get things working.

Set both usernames and passwords on both machines to exactly the same too.
Hope this helps anyone out there having problems!

"Lang Murphy" wrote:

> Stoopid question... but is file sharing turned on on both PC's?
>
> Lang
>
> "Reecio85" <Reecio85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Windows Vista Ultimate on my main desktop computer and Windows XP
> > Professional on my laptop. They are both connected wirelessly to my
> > D-link
> > wireless router and they can both access the internet without any
> > problems.
> >
> > The Vista machine has one password protected user account and the guest
> > account is off. The XP Pro laptop has one non-password user account and
> > the
> > guest account is also off.
> >
> > Both machines are set to the workgroup name of "WORKGROUP" and file and
> > printer sharing is also enabled on both machines.
> >
> > However, neither machine can see eachother, they ping eachother no
> > problem,
> > but I just cannot get them to see eachother at all. Its so frustrating!!
> > Anyone got any suggestions? The Windows Vista help suggestions haven't
> > helped me at all.

Lang Murphy

Re: I just want to share files!!
My bad for not reading your original post thoroughly... glad you got it
working.

Lang