Printer sharing

Puppy Breath

Re: Printer sharing
Have you done anything yet to set up the network? If not, try going into the
Network and Sharing Center (click Start type net and click Network and
Sharing Center). Turn on Network Discovery (and whatever else is relevant).
Note that Printer Sharing only applies of the printer is connected to the
Vista computer. You should be able to find remote printers even with that
set to "Off (no printers installed)".

To learn about Vista networking see:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...etworking.mspx

"Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just bought a new laptop with Vista - I have a PC with a printer
> connected directy and a wireless lan. I can access the internet through
> the
> router, but cannot access the printer. My previous lapop was able to do
> this
> - I have tried adding the printer, but don't appear to be able to see the
> pc
> let alone the printer! Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?SnVsaWU=?=

Re: Printer sharing
Hi - thanks for the reply. I had found my way in there earlier and everything
was switched on. My firewall is currently switched off. Any other ideas?
"Puppy Breath" wrote:

> Have you done anything yet to set up the network? If not, try going into the
> Network and Sharing Center (click Start type net and click Network and
> Sharing Center). Turn on Network Discovery (and whatever else is relevant).
> Note that Printer Sharing only applies of the printer is connected to the
> Vista computer. You should be able to find remote printers even with that
> set to "Off (no printers installed)".
>
> To learn about Vista networking see:
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...etworking.mspx
>

> "Julie" <Julie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just bought a new laptop with Vista - I have a PC with a printer
> > connected directy and a wireless lan. I can access the internet through
> > the
> > router, but cannot access the printer. My previous lapop was able to do
> > this
> > - I have tried adding the printer, but don't appear to be able to see the
> > pc
> > let alone the printer! Can anyone help?

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Printer sharing
Julie,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. Please check the following, and post
back:
- Ensure every machine is in the same workgroup and same subnet
- Ensure only one firewall is enabled per machine
- Set Network Category to Home/Work (Private)
- Ensure every user account has a non-empty password
- Create the same user account (with same password) on all machines
- Ensure password protected sharing is ON
- Use 'Sharing Wizard' to create/manage shares.