Re: Strange IE7 Connection Problem

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Strange IE7 Connection Problem
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"NotMe" <cargodZeroOne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:eNMLMV2YHHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl
>> Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.52] with 32 bytes of data:

> try pinging the router, usually 192.168.1.1 or such.
> Once you know if you're reaching the router, you can figure out what setting
> is wrong that is blocking the net.

Where do you think that IP address is coming from? ; )

Unless he has it in his HOSTS file it's very likely coming from his DNS.
Therefore, there probably already is connectivity to the Internet
and as Kai said the ping is failing simply because the site (or somewhere
between OP's ISP and the site is blocking ICMP (e.g. because operators
want to defend against moronic "denial of service" attacks using misused
ping commands.)

> If you can't get to the router, then it's more basic connectivity.
> Is sharing enabled?

If there is connectivity to the Internet for some protocols
then the problem is either in the HTTP support or specifically with iexplore.exe.
So, we should check the HTTP support first by using something other than
iexplore.exe. Testing with another browser would do that...

Or telnet 80 simulating another browser. E.g. enter in a cmd window

telnet cmd.com 80

Does the screen clear? Then there is connectivity with an HTTP server.
You can attempt further simulation by entering:

GET /

Normally you won't see any typing echoed back.
That's the simplest, using a default of HTTP/1.0 for the protocol level.
If that doesn't get a response sometimes just next entering:

Host: cnn.com

(e.g. typing Host: and then typing the title of the cmd window,
still without the benefit of localecho, unless you specifically
use a telnet set command for that. Etc.)

Actually I just remembered I think that Vista users don't have telnet any more?
Do they at least have HyperTerminal? And its Winsock connection?
Then they could still do a similar test.

FWIW my guess for a cause to the OP's symptom would be blocking
by a misconfigured third-party firewall. E.g. XP users recently got
a new version of iexplore.exe which apparently caused some third-party
firewalls to block their outbound use until they were reauthorized.
Did the same thing happen with Vista? Etc.

BTW this symptom would be better diagnosed in a newsgroup which specializes
in networking for the OS involved. Cross-posting to Vista Networking.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

(remainder of thread included for the benefit of new readers)