Vista Networking Problem

=?Utf-8?B?RGlwcGVycw==?=

Vista Networking Problem
Hi guys,

i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info

Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I have
built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
install.

However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the problems
began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described it
as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".

Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of plugging
in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
the case.

A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc as
a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!

The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know what
the REAL problem is.

Any help guys?

cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!
Keith D

Re: Vista Networking Problem

Hi

As mentiond in numerous threads below here

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

cheers

keith D.

> i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
> annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
> possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
>
> Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
> have
> built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
> on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
> install.
>
> However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
> problems
> began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described
> it
> as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
>
> Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
> plugging
> in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
> connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
> Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
> the case.
>
> A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
> it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc
> as
> a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
> router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
>
> The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
> connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
> what
> the REAL problem is.
>
> Any help guys?
>
> cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

=?Utf-8?B?RGlwcGVycw==?=

Re: Vista Networking Problem
I'm guessing this program is designed to help me find out what/where the
problem with the connection is resting???

I'll give it a go and see what happens....but i predict myself coming back
here very soon lol

"Keith D" wrote:

> Hi
>
> As mentiond in numerous threads below here
>
> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
>
> cheers
>
> keith D.
>

> > i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
> > annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
> > possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
> >
> > Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
> > have
> > built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
> > on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
> > install.
> >
> > However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
> > problems
> > began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described
> > it
> > as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
> >
> > Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
> > plugging
> > in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
> > connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
> > Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
> > the case.
> >
> > A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
> > it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc
> > as
> > a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
> > router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
> >
> > The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
> > connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
> > what
> > the REAL problem is.
> >
> > Any help guys?
> >
> > cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

=?Utf-8?B?RGlwcGVycw==?=

Re: Vista Networking Problem
Alas,

as expected the problem has not been resolved. lol.

Network Magic Program told me something I already knew, it said the
connection problem must be with my machine, but hasn't offered any new
information on what the problem is, where the problem is, and how the problem
can be fixed

"Keith D" wrote:

> Hi
>
> As mentiond in numerous threads below here
>
> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
>
> cheers
>
> keith D.
>

> > i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
> > annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
> > possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
> >
> > Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
> > have
> > built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
> > on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
> > install.
> >
> > However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
> > problems
> > began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described
> > it
> > as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
> >
> > Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
> > plugging
> > in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
> > connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
> > Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
> > the case.
> >
> > A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
> > it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc
> > as
> > a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
> > router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
> >
> > The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
> > connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
> > what
> > the REAL problem is.
> >
> > Any help guys?
> >
> > cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

David Sommers

Re: Vista Networking Problem
I am in the process of setting up a new Vista machine and need to transfer
all my data over to it, so I expected to do most of it via my home network.
This proved problematic until I finally sat down and read through the Vista
Help on the subject of networking and file sharing. The two main problems is
that by default, an XP machine is a member of the MSHOME workgroup and a
Vista machine is a member of the WORKGROUP workgroup. They must be the
same - change one. The next biggest obstacle is that XP uses Simple File
Sharing and Vista, be default, does not. The Help had a very easy way to
change my Vista machine is emulate Simple File Sharing. Now, XP can see
Vista and vice versa. So, RTFM! I did, am I'm glad.

Bye.

"Dippers" <Dippers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
> annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
> possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
>
> Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
> have
> built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
> on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
> install.
>
> However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
> problems
> began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described
> it
> as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
>
> Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
> plugging
> in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
> connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
> Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
> the case.
>
> A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
> it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc
> as
> a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
> router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
>
> The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
> connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
> what
> the REAL problem is.
>
> Any help guys?
>
> cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

Keith D

FURTHER: Vista Networking Problem

> as expected the problem has not been resolved. lol.

Then have a check of the messages re firewalls

there is a list of firewalls known to work with Vista
on the M/soft web site

URL in one of the threads the person replying signed as Kim[MS]

many on here have had to completly remove third party firewalls

> Network Magic Program told me something I already knew, it said the
> connection problem must be with my machine, but hasn't offered any new
> information on what the problem is, where the problem is, and how the
> problem
> can be fixed
>
> "Keith D" wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> As mentiond in numerous threads below here
>>
>> http://www.networkmagic.com/download/
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> keith D.
>>

>> > i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and
>> > very
>> > annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
>> > possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
>> >
>> > Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
>> > have
>> > built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned
>> > cash
>> > on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
>> > install.
>> >
>> > However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
>> > problems
>> > began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it
>> > described
>> > it
>> > as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
>> >
>> > Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
>> > plugging
>> > in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
>> > connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was
>> > hoping
>> > Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is
>> > not
>> > the case.
>> >
>> > A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and
>> > that
>> > it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my
>> > pc
>> > as
>> > a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on
>> > the
>> > router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
>> >
>> > The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking
>> > this
>> > connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
>> > what
>> > the REAL problem is.
>> >
>> > Any help guys?
>> >
>> > cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

=?Utf-8?B?RGlwcGVycw==?=

Re: Vista Networking Problem
I'm not quiet sure how that fits into my current problem :S

this is a completly new machine, i'm not trying to transfer data from my old
machine to my new one. I just want to figure out why Vista, is not allowing
me correct Internet access as I had before. lol

"David Sommers" wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a new Vista machine and need to transfer
> all my data over to it, so I expected to do most of it via my home network.
> This proved problematic until I finally sat down and read through the Vista
> Help on the subject of networking and file sharing. The two main problems is
> that by default, an XP machine is a member of the MSHOME workgroup and a
> Vista machine is a member of the WORKGROUP workgroup. They must be the
> same - change one. The next biggest obstacle is that XP uses Simple File
> Sharing and Vista, be default, does not. The Help had a very easy way to
> change my Vista machine is emulate Simple File Sharing. Now, XP can see
> Vista and vice versa. So, RTFM! I did, am I'm glad.
>
> Bye.
>
> "Dippers" <Dippers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > i've come here in the hopes someone can help me with my present, and very
> > annoying technical dilemma. I shall provide you with as much info as
> > possible, while hopefully not flooding you with too much info
> >
> > Problem: I've just bought a brand spanking, custom made machine which I
> > have
> > built myself to my own specs and spent a large quanity of hard earned cash
> > on. I installed Vista Ultimate on it, and everything was fine after the
> > install.
> >
> > However, after plugging the network cable into my motherboard, the
> > problems
> > began. First, i'm guessing it found our home network because it described
> > it
> > as an "unidentifiable" network, but had "limited or no connectivity".
> >
> > Now, when I had XP home ed on my old dell, it was a simple case of
> > plugging
> > in the network cable, it finding the router and internet gateway, and
> > connecting to the internet through the router automatically. I was hoping
> > Vista would be able to do this but I am very sadly discovering this is not
> > the case.
> >
> > A friend suggested I disable UPNP on the Netgear router i'm using and that
> > it should fix it.....it hasn't, and infact, the router isn't showing my pc
> > as
> > a connected device, but the port number my machine is connceted to on the
> > router is lit up....so there must be connectivity somewhere!!!!
> >
> > The network on my motherboard is also a 1GB connection, I'm thinking this
> > connection is too fast for the router to handle, but I just don't know
> > what
> > the REAL problem is.
> >
> > Any help guys?
> >
> > cheers in advance for your time in reading this longwinded post!!!

Johan Sneek

Vista network problems solved?
I had the same problem and have solved it, seel below how.

Iam working in the IT business, doing freelance ict stuff. If you ask me Vista is released too soon.
Lots of weird problems and are only to be solved from another angle i am used.

My problems was solved by altering the windows registry with regedit.exe, search for the name of network connection. you probalby find more than one entry, i had 16 entries???
Then i deleted every entry...rebooted an whoila it works
This might not work for everybody, but it did for me
btw my network connection is gone in the control panel, but what the hack.. it works!!!
Like i have read this on different forums, this looks like a big Vista BUG. It hase something to do with Vista's sleeping modes. thus do not use the hybernate, sleeping stuff etc anymore

Johan Sneek

http://www.eggheadcafe.com