Access denied

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBTbWVsdHplcg==?=

Access denied
Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but when
I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
"access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the network
administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.
Bytesback

Re: Access denied

The way I solved this, ( after much messing with permissions etc ), was
to create a new user account on the vista machine , make sure it has
a password. When you then try to connect from the xp machine you get
asked for a user name and password, put the ones in for account you
created and Voila !

--
Bytesback
Bytesback's Profile: http://www.vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=1668

Keith D

Re: Access denied
Hi

as mentioned in numerous messages on this newsgroup

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

cheers

> Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but
> when
> I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
> "access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the
> network
> administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

RE: Access denied
Hi Bill

I had the same problem and may have have spent 40 hours reading, posting and
experimenting. I finally got it last night. Microsoft has made a mess out
of this. I think I got lucky--like finding a needle in a haystack. I dont
have time right now to wriet down the steps--I will try tonight, but here
are soem things to get you started.

First of all, turn firewalls off for now. After you get this going you can
turn on firewalls and see if they affect anything. You need to turn off
firewalls on each computer.

Then, make sure all computers have the same name. I made mine "WORKGROUP"

And, file sharing from Vista can only be done through the administrator. At
first I didn't have a password for administrator because I didnt want to mess
with it, but I added one (through control panel) and it got me to the next
step.

You also want to turn guest account on.

At this point I could see Vista guest files and folders and public files and
folders. But I couldn't see my(administrators) folder. My administrators
folder is "ED". I could see it but not gain access. This is where it got
complicated. And, I have not put every step I went through to get to this
point. Im actually not even writing this from my Vista computer so I cant go
and look at some things.

Im hoping I can go back and figure everything that I did. Please read this,
and respond if you want me to try to retrace--which Im willing to do.

Again--absolutely ridiculous what has to be done--a MAJOR flaw of Vista.
Miscrosoft claims it is for security reasons, but they dont know how to do
this either. The steps they list DO NOT WORK.

I wish someone from Microsoft watched me do this. Maybe Id be rich and famous

Ed

"Bill Smeltzer" wrote:

> Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but when
> I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
> "access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the network
> administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

RE: Access denied
One more thing, Bill, the way I set it up, which Ill explain further if you
want(later) is I do not have to or am not prompted for any type of password
on my XP when I access Vista.
ED

"Bill Smeltzer" wrote:

> Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but when
> I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
> "access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the network
> administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

RE: Access denied
Okay Bill---try this when you have done everythig Ive written...
Go to control panel
Go to User accounts and family safety
Go to Network and Internet
Go to View Network computers
You will see all computers on your network
Click on your Vista computer
Right click on the C drive folder and click share
Click security
add "Guest" as group or user name
give guest all permission even though it might tell you there are errors etc.
folder and the Documents folder.

Let me know.

I assume that you have network discovery on and private folder on. You need
to. Im acting like I know what Im talkig abut--actually Im novice at this
stuff, but it worked

"Bill Smeltzer" wrote:

> Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but when
> I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
> "access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the network
> administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

RE: Access denied
One more thing---
You may have to download the following on your XP. I did but do not know if
it was necessary...

Ed

"Bill Smeltzer" wrote:

> Thanks to the community, I can now file share to the vista computer but when
> I try to access the vista computer from my XP remote system, I am told
> "access denied - you do not have privleges on this network - see the network
> administrator." I would appreciate help with this continuing problem.

Keith D

REPLY:-: Access denied
> One more thing---
> You may have to download the following on your XP. I did but do not know
> if
> it was necessary...
>
> Ed

Hi

the above download into your XP computer can help
you see the situation

in Vista under network sharing centre

view full map

your XP machine will not show on the network map
without this download installed into your XP machine

so it can help

cheers

Keith D..

=?Utf-8?B?RWQ0Mw==?=

RE: REPLY:-: Access denied
Keith--
Exactly right! I have two XP's--one I downloaded the file and one I didnt.
Where I did, I see the XP computer while on the Vista (the map). However, on
the XP where I didnt download the file, I still can see and use Vista
files/folders

Ed