Vista Cannot Connect to Internet

Paulski311

Vista Cannot Connect to Internet
I got my Acer Extenza 4620Z Laptop in December and it has Vista installed,
and until today, the internet has always worked fine. Earlier today I was
turning my computer on and when everything loaded up I connected to my home
wireless network (Belkin router) but the computer couldn't connect to any
programs that use the internet (AIM, Firefox, IE). My desktop is older and
has XP, which is working like normal, all things internet work normally so I
know its not the router or the ISP. When I contacted Acer about the
situation, the IT told me to perform a system restore to a few days ago
(3/9/08), which I did. That worked for a few hours and then it happened
again, "Server Not Found" and nothing that uses internet would work. The I
tried to System Restore it again to earlier (2/28/08) and it worked again,
but also for only a few hours. Now my laptop just automatically installed all
the Windows updates from 3/9-3/12 and the internet doesnt work again. How can
I fix this problem? I am convinced that it has something to do with the
Windows Updates because it only happens when one of the newer updates is
installed. If anyone can help with this that would be great.

Paul
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet
do a restore when it happens again. then change windows update
options to download and let you select when to install. run a custom
install and install updates one at a time. that will let you find
the problem update. when you do find it. uninstall it and then HIDE
it in windows update.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Location: Foreast Of Dean UK
forester will become famous soon enoughforester will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Paul.
As a temporary measure why not do another restore then turn off updates until those lovely people at Micro$oft realize they have boobed again.
Forester
rocxylemmon

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet

it sounds like somthing with the fire wall permisions if none of your
programs are going outbound so look for any third party firwalls that
could be blocking this like mcafee or norton or panda and so and turn
windows firewall off just for testing purposes.... and try that and let
me know if this works for you but if you can pinpoint the update that is
being installed like an optinal network card update then it could be
installing a older driver for that laptop then had priviousley but
windows had a newer one so look for a driver from the company website
and see if it's the smae version or not?

and see if the wireless swich is turned on if it has a switch on the
bottom of the laptop or the sides and then check to see if the wirelless
access card software is set up for wep and if it is be sure your
passphrase are the same and the keys are in the same passphrase 64bit
charecters if you understand where I am coming from but it sounds like a
software isue in your laptop... the keys have to match in with the
router keys......

hope I helped?

--
rocxylemmon
Paulski311

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet
Well I am at school right now and am typing notes for class on my laptop. I
havent done a recovery yet since the last time the internet stopped working
but now that im at the school and using the school's network, the internet is
working. Could it possibly be that my ISP is not Vista capable yet?

"rocxylemmon" wrote:

> it sounds like somthing with the fire wall permisions if none of your
> programs are going outbound so look for any third party firwalls that
> could be blocking this like mcafee or norton or panda and so and turn
> windows firewall off just for testing purposes.... and try that and let
> me know if this works for you but if you can pinpoint the update that is
> being installed like an optinal network card update then it could be
> installing a older driver for that laptop then had priviousley but
> windows had a newer one so look for a driver from the company website
> and see if it's the smae version or not?
>
> and see if the wireless swich is turned on if it has a switch on the
> bottom of the laptop or the sides and then check to see if the wirelless
> access card software is set up for wep and if it is be sure your
> passphrase are the same and the keys are in the same passphrase 64bit
> charecters if you understand where I am coming from but it sounds like a
> software isue in your laptop... the keys have to match in with the
> router keys......
>
> hope I helped?
>

> --
> rocxylemmon

Charlie

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet
I would suggest you check to see if your router supports Vista. You might
need a firmware upgrade.
"Paulski311" <Paulski311@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well I am at school right now and am typing notes for class on my laptop.
> havent done a recovery yet since the last time the internet stopped
> working
> but now that im at the school and using the school's network, the internet
> is
> working. Could it possibly be that my ISP is not Vista capable yet?
>
> "rocxylemmon" wrote:
>

>> it sounds like somthing with the fire wall permisions if none of your
>> programs are going outbound so look for any third party firwalls that
>> could be blocking this like mcafee or norton or panda and so and turn
>> windows firewall off just for testing purposes.... and try that and let
>> me know if this works for you but if you can pinpoint the update that is
>> being installed like an optinal network card update then it could be
>> installing a older driver for that laptop then had priviousley but
>> windows had a newer one so look for a driver from the company website
>> and see if it's the smae version or not?
>>
>> and see if the wireless swich is turned on if it has a switch on the
>> bottom of the laptop or the sides and then check to see if the wirelless
>> access card software is set up for wep and if it is be sure your
>> passphrase are the same and the keys are in the same passphrase 64bit
>> charecters if you understand where I am coming from but it sounds like a
>> software isue in your laptop... the keys have to match in with the
>> router keys......
>>
>> hope I helped?
>>

>> --
>> rocxylemmon

rocxylemmon

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet

Not to sound like a know it all but routers don't require to work with
diffrent routers cause there is no software that you need to install on
your machine for a router to work and even with a vista machine that has
a wireless card in it then you just have to set it up to access you wep
connection if wep is enabled but they put those stickers on the boxes
that say they support those oses because the support team has tryed them
on it and it was able to work just fine but all routers and old ones
will work fine with them unles there so old that vista uses a method
that a router can't understand from what all other oses talk like but I
don't know why vista would call it quits on all routers...lol....

turn off router firewall if you have one at the house and try with out
wep and see if you connect okay.

--
rocxylemmon
Ric

Re: Vista Cannot Connect to Internet
My great niece has an Acer I bought her for Xmas, and this happens to her
from time to time, I just have her use a cable, connect to the router and
then her wireless starts working.....
It's not a ms thing, it;s a Acer software issue.
try the above, and I hope it helps you Roc

Ric