Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
I upgraded from XP to Vista last night. I use wireless to connect to a
broadband router in my home; I use IE7. Everything about Vista functions
perfectly, save the Internet. The signal strength is "excellent," and under
Networks and Sharing there is no indication of a problem (such as the red X
between my router and the Internet).

Yet when I open a browser and type in any web address, I get the page that
say "Cannot display webpage."

Why is this happening when everything claims to be functioning perfectly?
Do I need to download IE7 again?

Thanks!
Michael

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Lance,
First thing to do is to disable all addons and see if that fixes your
access.
in IE7
Tools
Manage Add-ons
Enable or Disable Add-ons

Disable all the add-ons close and restart IE7, see if that works. If it does
you need to enable them one at a time till you find the bad one. You need to
close/open IE7 for each change, but you do not need to restart the computer.

If that doesn't work, try
Tools
Internet Options
Reset (towards bottom)

Michael

"Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I upgraded from XP to Vista last night. I use wireless to connect to a
> broadband router in my home; I use IE7. Everything about Vista functions
> perfectly, save the Internet. The signal strength is "excellent," and
> under
> Networks and Sharing there is no indication of a problem (such as the red
> between my router and the Internet).
>
> Yet when I open a browser and type in any web address, I get the page that
> say "Cannot display webpage."
>
> Why is this happening when everything claims to be functioning perfectly?
> Do I need to download IE7 again?
>
> Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Didn't work. I completely reset everything; there are no add-ons causing
trouble. When I restart IE7, the first thing it says is "The address is not
valid" (when I type in cnn.com, or whatever). Then I hit "home" and it says
"Cannot display webpage."

"Michael" wrote:

> Lance,
> First thing to do is to disable all addons and see if that fixes your
> access.
> in IE7
> Tools
> Manage Add-ons
> Enable or Disable Add-ons
>
> Disable all the add-ons close and restart IE7, see if that works. If it does
> you need to enable them one at a time till you find the bad one. You need to
> close/open IE7 for each change, but you do not need to restart the computer.
>
> If that doesn't work, try
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Reset (towards bottom)
>
> Michael
>
> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgraded from XP to Vista last night. I use wireless to connect to a
> > broadband router in my home; I use IE7. Everything about Vista functions
> > perfectly, save the Internet. The signal strength is "excellent," and
> > under
> > Networks and Sharing there is no indication of a problem (such as the red
> > between my router and the Internet).
> >
> > Yet when I open a browser and type in any web address, I get the page that
> > say "Cannot display webpage."
> >
> > Why is this happening when everything claims to be functioning perfectly?
> > Do I need to download IE7 again?
> >
> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Didn't work. I reset everything; there are no add-ons causing the trouble.
When I restart IE7 and type an address (say, cnn.com), I get "not a valid
address." Then I hit "home" and the page says, "Cannot display the webpage."

"Michael" wrote:

> Lance,
> First thing to do is to disable all addons and see if that fixes your
> access.
> in IE7
> Tools
> Manage Add-ons
> Enable or Disable Add-ons
>
> Disable all the add-ons close and restart IE7, see if that works. If it does
> you need to enable them one at a time till you find the bad one. You need to
> close/open IE7 for each change, but you do not need to restart the computer.
>
> If that doesn't work, try
> Tools
> Internet Options
> Reset (towards bottom)
>
> Michael
>
> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I upgraded from XP to Vista last night. I use wireless to connect to a
> > broadband router in my home; I use IE7. Everything about Vista functions
> > perfectly, save the Internet. The signal strength is "excellent," and
> > under
> > Networks and Sharing there is no indication of a problem (such as the red
> > between my router and the Internet).
> >
> > Yet when I open a browser and type in any web address, I get the page that
> > say "Cannot display webpage."
> >
> > Why is this happening when everything claims to be functioning perfectly?
> > Do I need to download IE7 again?
> >
> > Thanks!

Michael

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
OK, try second stage of fixes.

In the command window (Windows Start Key-R, cmd)
try pinging the site
(ping cnn.com)

This should result in the DNS service providing an address
My Results: (note that timeout is OK, not all sites respond to a ping)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Walraven>ping cnn.com

Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.52] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.236.16.52:

You should get the same address as I get. Failure here is usually the result
of DNS problems.
Try using the actual address in IE7 (ie. http://64.236.16.52) and see if
that works.

> Didn't work. I completely reset everything; there are no add-ons causing
> trouble. When I restart IE7, the first thing it says is "The address is
> not
> valid" (when I type in cnn.com, or whatever). Then I hit "home" and it
> says
> "Cannot display webpage."
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Lance,
>> First thing to do is to disable all addons and see if that fixes your
>> access.
>> in IE7
>> Tools
>> Manage Add-ons
>> Enable or Disable Add-ons
>>
>> Disable all the add-ons close and restart IE7, see if that works. If it
>> does
>> you need to enable them one at a time till you find the bad one. You need
>> close/open IE7 for each change, but you do not need to restart the
>> computer.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, try
>> Tools
>> Internet Options
>> Reset (towards bottom)
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I upgraded from XP to Vista last night. I use wireless to connect to a
>> > broadband router in my home; I use IE7. Everything about Vista
>> > functions
>> > perfectly, save the Internet. The signal strength is "excellent," and
>> > under
>> > Networks and Sharing there is no indication of a problem (such as the
>> > red
>> > between my router and the Internet).
>> >
>> > Yet when I open a browser and type in any web address, I get the page
>> > that
>> > say "Cannot display webpage."
>> >
>> > Why is this happening when everything claims to be functioning
>> > perfectly?
>> > Do I need to download IE7 again?
>> >
>> > Thanks!

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Michael, yes I received the same results as you did. Now what?

"Michael" wrote:

> OK, try second stage of fixes.
>
> In the command window (Windows Start Key-R, cmd)
> try pinging the site
> (ping cnn.com)
>
> This should result in the DNS service providing an address
> My Results: (note that timeout is OK, not all sites respond to a ping)
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Walraven>ping cnn.com
>
> Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.52] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 64.236.16.52:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
>
> You should get the same address as I get. Failure here is usually the result
> of DNS problems.
> Try using the actual address in IE7 (ie. http://64.236.16.52) and see if
> that works.
>
> Michael
>

> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Didn't work. I completely reset everything; there are no add-ons causing
> > trouble. When I restart IE7, the first thing it says is "The address is
> > not
> > valid" (when I type in cnn.com, or whatever). Then I hit "home" and it
> > says
> > "Cannot display webpage."
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Lance,
> >> First thing to do is to disable all addons and see if that fixes your
> >> access.
> >> in IE7
> >> Tools
> >> Manage Add-ons
> >> Enable or Disable Add-ons
> >>
> >> Disable all the add-ons close and restart IE7, see if that works. If it
> >> does
> >> you need to enable them one at a time till you find the bad one. You need
> >> close/open IE7 for each change, but you do not need to restart the
> >> computer.
> >>
> >> If that doesn't work, try
> >> Tools
> >> Internet Options
> >> Reset (towards bottom)
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Lance,
Next suggestion would be a download manager or spyware.
You could check in add/remove programs for anything that seems to be a
download manager or accelerator

Use msconfig command to selective startup without loading startup items.

You might also try asking for help in
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general where many people have problems
with IE7 and there are even some solutions. (It looks to me an IE7 problem
rather than a 'vista' thing.)

(I have been assuming you are using this machine successfully for Windows
Mail for this conversation correct me if I am wrong).

> Michael, yes I received the same results as you did. Now what?
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> OK, try second stage of fixes.
>>
>> In the command window (Windows Start Key-R, cmd)
>> try pinging the site
>> (ping cnn.com)
>>
>> This should result in the DNS service providing an address
>> My Results: (note that timeout is OK, not all sites respond to a ping)
>>
>> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
>> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> C:\Users\Walraven>ping cnn.com
>>
>> Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.52] with 32 bytes of data:
>>
>> Request timed out.
>> Request timed out.
>> Request timed out.
>> Request timed out.
>>
>> Ping statistics for 64.236.16.52:
>> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
>>
>> You should get the same address as I get. Failure here is usually the
>> result
>> of DNS problems.
>> Try using the actual address in IE7 (ie. http://64.236.16.52) and see if
>> that works.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Didn't work. I completely reset everything; there are no add-ons
>> > causing
>> > trouble. When I restart IE7, the first thing it says is "The address
>> > is
>> > not
>> > valid" (when I type in cnn.com, or whatever). Then I hit "home" and it
>> > says

=?Utf-8?B?TGFuY2U=?=

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
I disabled everything in Startup. I have no download accelerator and no
spyware that my scrubbers can find. My connectivity still says excellent,
yet no site will open.

Argh.

"Michael" wrote:

> Lance,
> Next suggestion would be a download manager or spyware.
> You could check in add/remove programs for anything that seems to be a
> download manager or accelerator
>
> Use msconfig command to selective startup without loading startup items.
>
> You might also try asking for help in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general where many people have problems
> with IE7 and there are even some solutions. (It looks to me an IE7 problem
> rather than a 'vista' thing.)
>
> (I have been assuming you are using this machine successfully for Windows
> Mail for this conversation correct me if I am wrong).
>
> Michael
>

> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Michael, yes I received the same results as you did. Now what?
> >

> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> OK, try second stage of fixes.
> >>
> >> In the command window (Windows Start Key-R, cmd)
> >> try pinging the site
> >> (ping cnn.com)
> >>
> >> This should result in the DNS service providing an address
> >> My Results: (note that timeout is OK, not all sites respond to a ping)
> >>
> >> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
> >> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >>
> >> C:\Users\Walraven>ping cnn.com
> >>
> >> Pinging cnn.com [64.236.16.52] with 32 bytes of data:
> >>
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >>
> >> Ping statistics for 64.236.16.52:
> >> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
> >>
> >> You should get the same address as I get. Failure here is usually the
> >> result
> >> of DNS problems.
> >> Try using the actual address in IE7 (ie. http://64.236.16.52) and see if
> >> that works.
> >>
> >> Michael

Michael

Re: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Also disable any firewall and security suite for testing, be VERY carefull
where you browse while your protection is off.

>I disabled everything in Startup. I have no download accelerator and no
> spyware that my scrubbers can find. My connectivity still says excellent,
> yet no site will open.
>
> Argh.
>

> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Lance,
>> Next suggestion would be a download manager or spyware.
>> You could check in add/remove programs for anything that seems to be a
>> download manager or accelerator
>>
>> Use msconfig command to selective startup without loading startup items.
>>
>> You might also try asking for help in
>> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general where many people have problems
>> with IE7 and there are even some solutions. (It looks to me an IE7
>> problem
>> rather than a 'vista' thing.)
>>
>> (I have been assuming you are using this machine successfully for Windows
>> Mail for this conversation correct me if I am wrong).
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Lance" <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Michael, yes I received the same results as you did. Now what?

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBXb29k?=

RE: Vista says wireless connectivity strong, but no Internet
Do NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP configuration options on the
wireless adapter. THEY FLAT DON'T WORK AT ALL in Vista.

If you have a wireless access point, and you KNOW it works on other
computers, but you get a "local only" message from Vista, the built-in DHCP
router in your Wireless Access Point probably is NOT compatible with Vista...
Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work for
all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

If this does not work, and you still get the "local only" message, but you
KNOW the access point works with XP wireless, etc., then MANUALLY SET the IP
address info. Unfortunately, if you have to manually set the IP info, you
will have to delete those settings with other wireless access points. And
let me say one more time, DO NOT waste your time with the Alternate IP
configuration, it doesn't work!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928152/en-us ; (affects mostly wireless on
laptops)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929847/en-us ; (Vista and XP together in a
wireless environment)

If your Gateway is on a different subnet (usually locations with large
numbers of wireless spots such as businesses, universities, etc.) then you
may have connection problems that FORCE you to manually configure your IP
settings on the adapter. This is a FIX for XP SP2 that doesn't look like it
made it into Vista, so, if you are experiencing this problem, LIKE ME, then
you have no choice but to manually configure the IP settings.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822596

If you are having periodic connection problems (and you know they didn't
exist before), Vista has changed the Automitic IP Address discovery timing to
be almost instantaneous. So if you have an older wireless access point, or
one that has long broadcast / "handshake" times, then you may have trouble
because of this "improvement."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931550/en-us ; (MS Does not provide a
solution, only info. Like the other options, you will likely have to
MANUALLY set up your IP info in the adapter, or purchase a new wireless
access point.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929824/en-us ; (problems if you have the SAME
Gateway address as the one assigned to the computer you are trying to connect
to the Wireless spot).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To see your adapter info, use a command prompt window (Start > Run > type in
CMD) and then type:

ipconfig /all

Find your network adapter and write down the Gateway, DNS, IP Address, and
other settings.

Also, go to the EVENT VIEWER and see if there are any messages related to
you trying to connect to your wireless adapter at the times you tried to
connect.

Regardless of the problem, if you KNOW the wireless spot works, and you had
little or no trouble on XP, try MANUALLY setting up the IP info for that
wireless access point.

I'm VERY disappointed at how many problems there are with the Vista wireless
networking. Especially when SO MANY of the early Vista users are exactly the
same customer base that USES WIRELESS!