Unable to access NAS from Vista PC

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Mike
=?Utf-8?B?ZXN0b2FkMg==?=

RE: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
My workaround for this was to Map the Terrastation as a network drive on one
of the XP Machines.

"Mike" wrote:

> I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
> machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
> the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
> machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
> machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Mike

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
This link may help,

Vista: Can’t access NAS,MAC, Linux, Samba and Win98
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Mike
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
Thanks Rob,

I found the answer - thanks for your help.

If anyone else has the same problem, it's worth noting the following points;

1. the problem seems to be caused by Vista defaulting to a new version of
NTLM than the Samba operating system used by many NAS devices.

2. The problem can be solved by changing settings in the security policy to
allow a less restrictive set of protocols/versions - in Vista versions other
than Home Premium, this can be done by running secpol.msc (see links in
Robert's reply below and also this one
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html, which gives quite a good
explanation of the problem).

3. In Vista Home Premium, secpol.msc doesn't exist, so you need to change a
registry setting, using regedit. The way to do it is as follows (many thanks
to Jimmy Brush on http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670498):

- Click start
- Navigate to the 'run' command - probably in Programs\Accessories
- Type: regedit
- Press enter
- In the left, expand these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\

- In the left, click on the folder named:

Lsa

- In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
- Type the number 1 (to replace the 3) and press enter
- Restart your computer

Thanks to all for your help.

Mike

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> This link may help,
>
> Vista: Can’t access NAS,MAC, Linux, Samba and Win98
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
> I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
> machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
> the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
> machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
> machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Mike

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
Thank you for the detail feedback.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9C60AB8-4137-4642-B124-7815381B4B41@microsoft.com...
Thanks Rob,

I found the answer - thanks for your help.

If anyone else has the same problem, it's worth noting the following points;

1. the problem seems to be caused by Vista defaulting to a new version of
NTLM than the Samba operating system used by many NAS devices.

2. The problem can be solved by changing settings in the security policy to
allow a less restrictive set of protocols/versions - in Vista versions other
than Home Premium, this can be done by running secpol.msc (see links in
Robert's reply below and also this one
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html, which gives quite a good
explanation of the problem).

3. In Vista Home Premium, secpol.msc doesn't exist, so you need to change a
registry setting, using regedit. The way to do it is as follows (many thanks
to Jimmy Brush on http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670498):

- Click start
- Navigate to the 'run' command - probably in Programs\Accessories
- Type: regedit
- Press enter
- In the left, expand these folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\

- In the left, click on the folder named:

Lsa

- In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
- Type the number 1 (to replace the 3) and press enter
- Restart your computer

Thanks to all for your help.

Mike

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> This link may help,
>
> Vista: Can’t access NAS,MAC, Linux, Samba and Win98
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
> I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
> machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
> the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
> machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
> machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> thanks,
> Mike

AFJames@gmail.com

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
On Mar 11, 11:37 am, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the detail feedback.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Mike" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:B9C60AB8-4137-4642-B124-7815381B4B41@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Rob,
>
> I found the answer - thanks for your help.
>
> If anyone else has the same problem, it's worth noting the following points;
>
> 1. the problem seems to be caused by Vista defaulting to a new version of
> NTLM than the Samba operating system used by many NAS devices.
>
> 2. The problem can be solved by changing settings in the security policy to
> allow a less restrictive set of protocols/versions - in Vista versions other
> than Home Premium, this can be done by running secpol.msc (see links in
> Robert's reply below and also this one
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html, which gives quite a good
> explanation of the problem).
>
> 3. In Vista Home Premium, secpol.msc doesn't exist, so you need to change a
> registry setting, using regedit. The way to do it is as follows (many thanks
> to Jimmy Brush onhttp://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=670498):
>
> - Click start
> - Navigate to the 'run' command - probably in Programs\Accessories
> - Type: regedit
> - Press enter
> - In the left, expand these folders:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\
>
> - In the left, click on the folder named:
>
> Lsa
>
> - In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
> - Type the number 1 (to replace the 3) and press enter
> - Restart your computer
>
> Thanks to all for your help.
>
> Mike
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > This link may help,
> >
> > Vista: Can't access NAS,MAC, Linux, Samba and Win98
> >http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Mike" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
> > I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
> > machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
> > the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
> > machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
> > machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Mike

I appllied the registry edit as you listed...and it solved the first
problem -- I know see my NAS --and I see the directory structure, but
I can not see any files within the directory structure of my NAS.
Please assist.
Thanks...

DC187

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC

There is another way around this issue which you can use with
TeraStation Pro. See my post here: http://tinyurl.com/yo8xjo

This will allow you to use the more secure NTLMv2 authentication and
also provides a performance boost for the TeraStation. Just depends if
you want to go to the effort

--
DC187
phillfri

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
I have the same problem you have. I changed the registry setting, but all I
can do is read the folders. Any attempt to access a subfolder on a NAAS share
causes Windows Explorer to freeze. Once in every 10 tries maybe, I can access
subfolders in a NAS share, but if I move back up the directory tree on the
NAS, Windows Explorer freezes again.

I've been looking for a solution to thios and no one seems to have any
additional suggestions, including theMVPs. Is Microsoft ever going to fix
this problem?

I run a Coolmax CN-550 NAS, a wireless USB device that is Vista Certified
(ZyXel G-202), and a ZyXel 334WH wireless router. The combination works
perfectly under Windows XP.

"AFJames@gmail.com" wrote:

> [...]
> > > "Mike" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
> > > I have a home network of XP Pro PCs and a Terastation NAS device. All the XP
> > > machines can see each other, share files and printers etc including access to
> > > the shared folders on the NAS. My new Vista machine can see and access the XP
> > > machines, including sharing, but I can't get it to access the NAS. All of the
> > > machines have identical usernames/passwords and all are on the same workgroup.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Mike

> I appllied the registry edit as you listed...and it solved the first
> problem -- I know see my NAS --and I see the directory structure, but
> I can not see any files within the directory structure of my NAS.

koze

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
I do use Total Commander RC3 candidate and that give's me full access to the
NAS system.

It's the same with most NAS systems they have to fix the firmware to be
compatible with Vista, I would suggest file a support request on this with
the manufacturer of the NAS system as I have done.

The more requests they get the more likely a fix will be made.

Ko
"phillfri" <phillfri@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> [...]
>> >
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\
>> >
>> > - In the left, click on the folder named:
>> >
>> > Lsa
>> >
>> > - In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
>> > - Type the number 1 (to replace the 3) and press enter
>> > - Restart your computer
>> >
>> > Thanks to all for your help.
>> >
>> > Mike

>> > onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> > onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> > messagenews:2A84270D-FA38-4E40-A01F-45B51A1953E7@microsoft.com...
>> > All the XP
>> > including access to
>> > access the XP
>> > NAS. All of the
>> > same workgroup.

>> I appllied the registry edit as you listed...and it solved the first
>> problem -- I know see my NAS --and I see the directory structure, but
>> I can not see any files within the directory structure of my NAS.

Magnus

Re: Unable to access NAS from Vista PC
I also have the same problem with a Storagebird Lan. I have upgraded the
firmware to the latest SMB3 version and tried all the suggested Vista fixes
without any success. Did you find a solution?

Thanks