Vista and offline networked files with SBS

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Vista and offline networked files with SBS
I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on the
new Vista machine:

1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.

2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try to
save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
permission error'.

3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files do
not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the shared
folders.

This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I hope
someone out there has a solution!

Robert

Keith D

REPLY:-: Vista and offline networked files with SBS

Hi

Note message header :- network issues SOLVED
just above your message

http://www.networkmagic.com/

Is the lomg and the short of it

cheers

K/

>I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> the
> new Vista machine:
>
> 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
>
> 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> permission error'.
>
> 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> do
> not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> shared
> folders.
>
> This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> hope
> someone out there has a solution!
>
> Robert

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
Have you applied the updates for Vista clients to the SBS server?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-e0c8c169fac3

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> the
> new Vista machine:
>
> 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
>
> 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> permission error'.
>
> 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> do
> not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> shared
> folders.
>
> This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> hope
> someone out there has a solution!
>
> Robert

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
As stated in the first line of my first message - yes, the updates have been
made to the SBS server.

Any more ideas? Thanks,

Robert

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Have you applied the updates for Vista clients to the SBS server?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-e0c8c169fac3
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> > server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> > flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> > the
> > new Vista machine:
> >
> > 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> > that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
> >
> > 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> > save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> > permission error'.
> >
> > 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> > computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> > re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> > do
> > not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> > shared
> > folders.
> >
> > This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> > hope
> > someone out there has a solution!
> >
> > Robert

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

RE: REPLY:-: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
Keith,

I have no 3rd party firewall installed. This seems to be a really difficult
issue and I have yet to find someone knowledgable enough to suggest a
solution.

Robert

"Keith D" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Note message header :- network issues SOLVED
> just above your message
>
> http://www.networkmagic.com/
>
> Is the lomg and the short of it
>
> cheers
>
> K/
>

> >I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> > server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> > flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> > the
> > new Vista machine:
> >
> > 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> > that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
> >
> > 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> > save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> > permission error'.
> >
> > 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> > computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> > re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> > do
> > not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> > shared
> > folders.
> >
> > This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> > hope
> > someone out there has a solution!
> >
> > Robert

Schroeder, John F.

Re: REPLY:-: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
I am experiencing exactly the same issues with a brand new system running
Ultimate trying to access shares on either SBS 2003 SP1 or XP Pro. Exactly
the same behavior. I tried to open a support incident, so far have spent 2+
hours getting transferred around, plus they charged our credit card $245,
AND I HAVE YET TO TALK WITH A TECHNICIAN! Since this is for a client and
not my full-time job (it's for my church office), I haven't been able to
spend many daytime hours following up yet. The church people were reluctant
from the start to put in a Vista system, since they'd heard people were
having problems! I assured them it would work okay ...

The XP Pro systems work great. Saving files from Publisher 2003 yields
"File cannot be saved". If I take it down to the Windows Explorer level, I
can right-click create a new text file, but can't name it or rename it. I
can open it with Notepay save to it, delete it, copy a file from C: to the
share, etc. Word works okay, but I cannot rename the files in Explorer.
When I try, the error is "Directory not found - do you want to create it?"
for the share name. It also doesn't matter what user I try - domain
Administrator fails the same way!

Seems to me like something is broken in the redirector.

It will also be very hard to downgrade to XP Pro - the new hardware doesn't
come with driver disks, so you need to start with the vendor base image,
which is now Vista and cannot be downgraded. This is a Gateway GM5424
(we've bought other Gateway's and been reasonably happy.)

Any suggestions?
-JFS

John F. Schroeder

> Keith,
>
> I have no 3rd party firewall installed. This seems to be a really
> difficult
> issue and I have yet to find someone knowledgable enough to suggest a
> solution.
>
> Robert
>
> "Keith D" wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> Note message header :- network issues SOLVED
>> just above your message
>>
>> http://www.networkmagic.com/
>>
>> Is the lomg and the short of it
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> K/
>>

>> >I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
>> > server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
>> > flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders
>> > on
>> > the
>> > new Vista machine:
>> >
>> > 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a
>> > message
>> > that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
>> >
>> > 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and
>> > try
>> > save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
>> > permission error'.
>> >
>> > 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
>> > computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
>> > re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline
>> > files
>> > do
>> > not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
>> > shared
>> > folders.
>> >
>> > This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
>> > hope
>> > someone out there has a solution!
>> >
>> > Robert

Schroeder, John F.

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
I got a fix from Microsoft Support last night - it might work for others.
The problem was a corrupted Offline Folders database, probably from the
original manufacturer installed image (by Gateway).

Using Regedit, I had to add a key and value to tell the CSC service to redo
the database:
HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CSC/Parameters/FormatDatabase DWORD=1
More step-by-step:

1. Open Regedit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/CSC
3. Add a key called Parameters (unless it's already there)
4. Open the Parameters key
5. Add a DWORD value called FormatDatabase (capitalization is important)
6. Set the value to decimal 1
7. Exit Regedit
8. Restart the computer

After this, I was able to rename files on the shares and modify files from
within Publisher.
-JFS

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> the
> new Vista machine:
>
> 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
>
> 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> permission error'.
>
> 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> do
> not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> shared
> folders.
>
> This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> hope
> someone out there has a solution!
>
> Robert

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
This is great. Thanks for posting it. I have an Acer TravelMate 3040 and
resetting Offline Files fixed all my issues.

Robert

"Schroeder, John F." wrote:

> I got a fix from Microsoft Support last night - it might work for others.
> The problem was a corrupted Offline Folders database, probably from the
> original manufacturer installed image (by Gateway).
>
> Using Regedit, I had to add a key and value to tell the CSC service to redo
> the database:
> HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/CSC/Parameters/FormatDatabase DWORD=1
> More step-by-step:
>
> 1. Open Regedit
> 2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/CSC
> 3. Add a key called Parameters (unless it's already there)
> 4. Open the Parameters key
> 5. Add a DWORD value called FormatDatabase (capitalization is important)
> 6. Set the value to decimal 1
> 7. Exit Regedit
> 8. Restart the computer
>
> After this, I was able to rename files on the shares and modify files from
> within Publisher.
> -JFS
>

> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a business Vista PC attached to a SBS 2003 SP1 with Vista updates
> > server. 2 other XP Professional computers are on the network and work
> > flawlessly. I have a number of issues with files in networked folders on
> > the
> > new Vista machine:
> >
> > 1. Can insert a new file or folder but cannot rename it. I get a message
> > that the folder does not exist (it obviously does). Can Delete it.
> >
> > 2. If I open a netwrked file in Word, Excel etc, change the file and try
> > save it, I cannot - I get a message 'Ther has been a network or file
> > permission error'.
> >
> > 3. In Control Panel, Offline Files, I am told I need to re-start the
> > computer to activate Offline Files but I get this message even after
> > re-starting (or trying to dis and re-enable offline files). Offline files
> > do
> > not work. I need them to! Have enable offline cache on server for the
> > shared
> > folders.
> >
> > This is a Vista issue as the XP machines do not have these problems. I
> > hope
> > someone out there has a solution!
> >
> > Robert

tlamming@gmail.com

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
It may be a gateway thing. Just had to do the registry fix on 3 new
gateway laptops.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0?=

Re: Vista and offline networked files with SBS
Or maybe even an Acer and Gateway thing. I had to make the fix on 2 Acer
TravelMate 3040s.