Can't get wireless laptop to connect

=?Utf-8?B?S3Jpc3Rlbg==?=

Can't get wireless laptop to connect
When I went to bed last night, the Internet on my new laptop (running Vista)
was working just fine. Woke up this morning and have been trying to get it
to work ALL day. It shows that my signal strength is excellent but it won't
connect. Not even when I plug it straight into the router! When I try to
diagnose it I get this message: "Wireless association failed because Windows
did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." My
PC is working just fine (as this is how I am on here posting this question).

Any idea how to fix this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out!

Stonefingers

Re: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
Have you tried rebooting your machine? I had a similar problem this morning
as well - except Vista wouldn't even "see" my wireless signal. It said
there was no network to connect to. I recycled my router - no love there -
then rebooted by laptop, and voila! it connected.

"Kristen" <Kristen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I went to bed last night, the Internet on my new laptop (running
> Vista)
> was working just fine. Woke up this morning and have been trying to get
> it
> to work ALL day. It shows that my signal strength is excellent but it
> won't
> connect. Not even when I plug it straight into the router! When I try to
> diagnose it I get this message: "Wireless association failed because
> Windows
> did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point."
> My
> PC is working just fine (as this is how I am on here posting this
> question).
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out!

Tex

"Wireless association failed because Windows
I too am getting the same problme and error message trying to connect my Vista laptop to my network. My laptop sees my network with excellent signal strength but tells me "Wireless association failed because Windows
did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." My Router is wired to my XP desktop, and I have a Mac and XP laptop connected wirelessly. Any suggestions?

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Ian

no response from router
Did you fix this? I have the same problem.

Ian

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Mark A Stover

Re: no response from router
Network router will not respond using Internet Explorer in Windows Vista!

I have a new Windows Vista PC and using the Internet Explorer, the Router
would not respond to setup or access commands! The router works OK and it
will connect to the internet and other computers on the network

I then tried to access the router using the FireFox browser and it works
just fine. You can download and install the Mozilla FireFox for Windows
Vista for free. Just give it a try.

I am using Linksys routers and have even tried 2 different models and both
do exactly the same thing. They will not respond using the Vista Internet
Explorer but when you use the FireFox they will respond and work just fine.

Mark

"Ian" wrote in message news:200731616444ian_jane@hotmail.com...
> Did you fix this? I have the same problem.
>
> Ian

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
Kristen (and others),

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with Vista. There are a couple of
factors which might be causing this behavior. First, your router may not be
Vista compatible. Check to make sure it displays the Vista logo on the box.
There might be a firmware update to the router to bring it into compliance.
Another cause might be an outdated network adapter driver.

Please post back with the outcomes.

"Kristen" wrote:

> When I went to bed last night, the Internet on my new laptop (running Vista)
> was working just fine. Woke up this morning and have been trying to get it
> to work ALL day. It shows that my signal strength is excellent but it won't
> connect. Not even when I plug it straight into the router! When I try to
> diagnose it I get this message: "Wireless association failed because Windows
> did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." My
> PC is working just fine (as this is how I am on here posting this question).
>
> Any idea how to fix this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out!

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
Wow! You are suggesting that all of us with routers that don't display
the Vista logo had better run out and buy a new router?
That doesn't say much for Vista, does it...
Wow, indeed!

Gary VanderMolen

"Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59B1EB3-2017-49A7-9744-9CA51A82F39A@microsoft.com...
> Kristen (and others),
>
> I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with Vista. There are a couple of
> factors which might be causing this behavior. First, your router may not be
> Vista compatible. Check to make sure it displays the Vista logo on the box.
> There might be a firmware update to the router to bring it into compliance.
> Another cause might be an outdated network adapter driver.
>
> Please post back with the outcomes.
>
> "Kristen" wrote:
>
>> When I went to bed last night, the Internet on my new laptop (running Vista)
>> was working just fine. Woke up this morning and have been trying to get it
>> to work ALL day. It shows that my signal strength is excellent but it won't
>> connect. Not even when I plug it straight into the router! When I try to
>> diagnose it I get this message: "Wireless association failed because Windows
>> did not receive any response from the wireless router or access point." My
>> PC is working just fine (as this is how I am on here posting this question).
>>
>> Any idea how to fix this problem? I'm about to pull my hair out!

Barb Bowman

Re: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
there are a lot of older routers that work fine with Vista, although
some may have firmware that needs updating. if the OP would post the
model, hardware revision and firmware version in the router, more
help would be forthcoming.

there are some routers that may not have upgrades available. vendors
aren't going to put their legacy gear through the logo program.

I think that if Kristen finds that the existing router doesn't cut
the mustard, and needs to find a new one, that the advice to get one
that has the logo is a good option. it may cost more than some of
the firesale prices on old routers, but for someone without
experience, it is definitely the way to go.

Examples: I have a non logo'd D-Link DGL-4300 router which performs
superbly under Vista. D-Link isn't going to put it through the logo
program. I also have their newer DIR655 router which IS logo'd.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

Re: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
Thanks, Barb.

Kristen, Gary, and others,

We've just published a new tool to test your router. Feel free to give it a
go and send us feedback:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> there are a lot of older routers that work fine with Vista, although
> some may have firmware that needs updating. if the OP would post the
> model, hardware revision and firmware version in the router, more
> help would be forthcoming.
>
> there are some routers that may not have upgrades available. vendors
> aren't going to put their legacy gear through the logo program.
>
> I think that if Kristen finds that the existing router doesn't cut
> the mustard, and needs to find a new one, that the advice to get one
> that has the logo is a good option. it may cost more than some of
> the firesale prices on old routers, but for someone without
> experience, it is definitely the way to go.
>
> Examples: I have a non logo'd D-Link DGL-4300 router which performs
> superbly under Vista. D-Link isn't going to put it through the logo
> program. I also have their newer DIR655 router which IS logo'd.
>
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:59:06 -0700, "Gary VanderMolen"
> <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Wow! You are suggesting that all of us with routers that don't display
> >the Vista logo had better run out and buy a new router?
> >That doesn't say much for Vista, does it...
> >Wow, indeed!
> >
> >Gary VanderMolen
> >
> >"Kim [MS]" <KimMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B59B1EB3-2017-49A7-9744-9CA51A82F39A@microsoft.com...
> >> Kristen (and others),
> >>
> >> I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble with Vista. There are a couple of
> >> factors which might be causing this behavior. First, your router may not be
> >> Vista compatible. Check to make sure it displays the Vista logo on the box.
> >> There might be a firmware update to the router to bring it into compliance.
> >> Another cause might be an outdated network adapter driver.
> >>
> >> Please post back with the outcomes.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbm5ldHRl?=

Re: Can't get wireless laptop to connect
I have a similar situation or maybe even worse...I have two computers one w/
the Linksys Wireless G broadband router 2.4 w/speedbooster and the other with
the Linksys Wireless 2.4 PCI Adapter w/speedbooster. I installed Windows
Vista to the one with the PCI Adapter; it never worked. Called windows vista
and spoke to several representatives and they tried to guide me the same
steps which I already did before calling them and no results. I was so
frutrated that started to regret installing the vista in my computer so I
called again to customer service to request my money back and I wanted to go
back to my windows XP, but they finally told me: ACTION : Trying to connect
to internet via wireless router
RESULT : Cannot connect to router
CAUSE : Seems to be wireless security
RESOLUTION : Will contact linksys to see if they can help reset wireless
router and configure vista to connect properly to the router.
They never mentioned about installing a Free Mozilla Firefox for windows
vista...Should I try this? By the way I sent an email to Linksys with my
concerns.
Thank you, Jeannette