Networking to 98SE

Endulini

Networking to 98SE
I've recently bought a Vista system and would like to hook it up to my old
PC running 98SE. I'm not fussed about the old system having internet access
or anything too demanding other than being able to exchange files with the
new system. I'm a complete novice to this sort of set up but am usually
literate enough to bumble my way through to a solution on most things but
one aspect has me slightly confused. From what I can gather the most
efficient solution is to use a Ethernet crossover cable to connect the two
machines but my new machine has only one Ethernet socket currently occupied
by the connection to my router. Am I missing something obvious here or do I
need to get hold of a hub or similar?

Thanks

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking to 98SE
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:16:37 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:

>I've recently bought a Vista system and would like to hook it up to my old
>PC running 98SE. I'm not fussed about the old system having internet access
>or anything too demanding other than being able to exchange files with the
>new system. I'm a complete novice to this sort of set up but am usually
>literate enough to bumble my way through to a solution on most things but
>one aspect has me slightly confused. From what I can gather the most
>efficient solution is to use a Ethernet crossover cable to connect the two
>machines but my new machine has only one Ethernet socket currently occupied
>by the connection to my router. Am I missing something obvious here or do I
>need to get hold of a hub or similar?
>
>Thanks

If you have 2 computers, and a router, you connect both computers to the router.
That's the only physical connection needed. Once both computers have Internet
service, you're halfway there.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html

There are a few peculiarities with Windows Vista, and a known problem with
Windows Vista and Windows 9x together, that you will want to consider, when
preparing to exchange files between the two computers.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Endulini

Re: Networking to 98SE
Cheers

The only problem with this is that it is a 'free' ISP supplied ADSL router
and has only one Ethernet port......... Also I'm running on a powerline
network and the PCs are quite remote from the actual router so the USP port
is counted out on this basis also.

"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:16:37 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:
>
>>I've recently bought a Vista system and would like to hook it up to my old
>>PC running 98SE. I'm not fussed about the old system having internet
>>access
>>or anything too demanding other than being able to exchange files with the
>>new system. I'm a complete novice to this sort of set up but am usually
>>literate enough to bumble my way through to a solution on most things but
>>one aspect has me slightly confused. From what I can gather the most
>>efficient solution is to use a Ethernet crossover cable to connect the two
>>machines but my new machine has only one Ethernet socket currently
>>occupied
>>by the connection to my router. Am I missing something obvious here or do
>>need to get hold of a hub or similar?
>>
>>Thanks

> If you have 2 computers, and a router, you connect both computers to the
> router.
> That's the only physical connection needed. Once both computers have
> Internet
> service, you're halfway there.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html
>
> There are a few peculiarities with Windows Vista, and a known problem with
> Windows Vista and Windows 9x together, that you will want to consider,
> when
> preparing to exchange files between the two computers.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Bob F.

Re: Networking to 98SE
"Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote in message
> Cheers
>
> The only problem with this is that it is a 'free' ISP supplied ADSL router
> and has only one Ethernet port......... Also I'm running on a powerline
> network and the PCs are quite remote from the actual router so the USP
> port is counted out on this basis also.
>

> "Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:16:37 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've recently bought a Vista system and would like to hook it up to my
>>>old
>>>PC running 98SE. I'm not fussed about the old system having internet
>>>access
>>>or anything too demanding other than being able to exchange files with
>>>the
>>>new system. I'm a complete novice to this sort of set up but am usually
>>>literate enough to bumble my way through to a solution on most things but
>>>one aspect has me slightly confused. From what I can gather the most
>>>efficient solution is to use a Ethernet crossover cable to connect the
>>>two
>>>machines but my new machine has only one Ethernet socket currently
>>>occupied
>>>by the connection to my router. Am I missing something obvious here or do
>>>need to get hold of a hub or similar?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>> If you have 2 computers, and a router, you connect both computers to the
>> router.
>> That's the only physical connection needed. Once both computers have
>> Internet
>> service, you're halfway there.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html
>>
>> There are a few peculiarities with Windows Vista, and a known problem
>> with
>> Windows Vista and Windows 9x together, that you will want to consider,
>> when
>> preparing to exchange files between the two computers.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Looks like you need to get yourself a multiport Ethernet router, place and
connect it near your computers. Then configure your PC's for Ethernet
networking. Vista help system should be able to point you in the right
direction for the setup information.

--
BobF.
Lincoln actually got it right but was way ahead of his time when he said,

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Networking to 98SE
On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:12:04 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>news:t6ghs3dvv2oii5vjinfs6budtfjsjntlge@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:16:37 -0000, "Endulini" <Endulini@Fruit.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I've recently bought a Vista system and would like to hook it up to my old
>>>PC running 98SE. I'm not fussed about the old system having internet
>>>access
>>>or anything too demanding other than being able to exchange files with the
>>>new system. I'm a complete novice to this sort of set up but am usually
>>>literate enough to bumble my way through to a solution on most things but
>>>one aspect has me slightly confused. From what I can gather the most
>>>efficient solution is to use a Ethernet crossover cable to connect the two
>>>machines but my new machine has only one Ethernet socket currently
>>>occupied
>>>by the connection to my router. Am I missing something obvious here or do
>>>need to get hold of a hub or similar?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>> If you have 2 computers, and a router, you connect both computers to the
>> router.
>> That's the only physical connection needed. Once both computers have
>> Internet
>> service, you're halfway there.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/networking-your-computers.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...computers.html
>>
>> There are a few peculiarities with Windows Vista, and a known problem with
>> Windows Vista and Windows 9x together, that you will want to consider,
>> when
>> preparing to exchange files between the two computers.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html

>Cheers
>
>The only problem with this is that it is a 'free' ISP supplied ADSL router
>and has only one Ethernet port......... Also I'm running on a powerline
>network and the PCs are quite remote from the actual router so the USP port
>is counted out on this basis also.

OK, if the router (what make / model) really is a router, then yes a hub will
give you the connections needed.

Let's look at the logs from "ipconfig /all" from each computer, to start.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
George B

Re: Networking to 98SE
If you ever get this combination to work, I would appreciate hearing about
it. My experience is that Vista can access W98's files and printers
satisfactorily, but W98's access to either is almost non-existent.

George B.

news:kpadnSC1pumpGVXanZ2dnUVZ8uGdnZ2d@brightview.c om...