Windows can't find any networks

24Peter

Windows can't find any networks
Vista up to date on a laptop
Symptom: IE 7 crashes or encounters a webpage it doesn't like (certain ebay
webpages for instance). Wireless networking stops working (red X in network
connection notification icon). Thereafter the ONLY way to get Vista to see
any networks is to reboot. FPITA. Refresh wireless network list does NOT
work. If IE7 doesn't encounter a webpage it doesn't like, can stay connected
to my wireless network all day long.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Windows can't find any networks
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:33:01 -0800, 24Peter <24Peter@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Vista up to date on a laptop
>Symptom: IE 7 crashes or encounters a webpage it doesn't like (certain ebay
>webpages for instance). Wireless networking stops working (red X in network
>connection notification icon). Thereafter the ONLY way to get Vista to see
>any networks is to reboot. FPITA. Refresh wireless network list does NOT
>work. If IE7 doesn't encounter a webpage it doesn't like, can stay connected
>to my wireless network all day long.

Is this unique to WiFi connectivity? Can you connect by Ethernet, and surf to
an unpopular webpage? Do you have another computer that you can try with this?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

Can you provide logs from "ipconfig /all" for when networking works, and when it
doesn't?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>

Do you have the latest drivers for the WiFi adapter in the computer? Latest
firmware on the router?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ft-please.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
jimbob

RE: Windows can't find any networks
I also have similar problem mine with Vista looses connection on Screen Saver
mode. Network still there but will not connect, or diagnose problem have to
Reboot. This has been ongoing problem every since I purchased Computer.
Laptop with XP same Router no problem.

"24Peter" wrote:

> Vista up to date on a laptop
> Symptom: IE 7 crashes or encounters a webpage it doesn't like (certain ebay
> webpages for instance). Wireless networking stops working (red X in network
> connection notification icon). Thereafter the ONLY way to get Vista to see
> any networks is to reboot. FPITA. Refresh wireless network list does NOT
> work. If IE7 doesn't encounter a webpage it doesn't like, can stay connected
> to my wireless network all day long.

24Peter

Re: Windows can't find any networks
I updated the driver for the buiilt in wi-fi card today from Windows update.
We'll see if that helps. But I think it was a security update to IE7 that
started this problem several months ago. I know - logically there is no link
between IE7 and Vista's ability to maintain/find a[ny] wireless network,
but...

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:53:00 -0800, 24Peter <24Peter@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:33:01 -0800, 24Peter <24Peter@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Vista up to date on a laptop
>> >Symptom: IE 7 crashes or encounters a webpage it doesn't like (certain ebay
>> >webpages for instance). Wireless networking stops working (red X in network
>> >connection notification icon). Thereafter the ONLY way to get Vista to see
>> >any networks is to reboot. FPITA. Refresh wireless network list does NOT
>> >work. If IE7 doesn't encounter a webpage it doesn't like, can stay connected
>> >to my wireless network all day long.

>> Is this unique to WiFi connectivity? Can you connect by Ethernet, and surf to
>> an unpopular webpage? Do you have another computer that you can try with this?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
>>
>> Can you provide logs from "ipconfig /all" for when networking works, and when it
>> doesn't?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-internet-service.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> Do you have the latest drivers for the WiFi adapter in the computer? Latest
>> firmware on the router?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ft-please.html

>I updated the driver for the buiilt in wi-fi card today from Windows update.
>We'll see if that helps. But I think it was a security update to IE7 that
>started this problem several months ago. I know - logically there is no link
>between IE7 and Vista's ability to maintain/find a[ny] wireless network,
>but...

Please don't get hardware driver updates from Windows Update!
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/driver-updates-from-microsoft-please.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ft-please.html

There was a well known IEV7 update recently.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/09/changes-in-internet-explorer-security.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-security.html

--
Cheers,