Computers do not see each other

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBTbWVsdHplcg==?=

Computers do not see each other
I have my desktop running Vista connected to a Linksys router. My laptop
which runxs XP has a linksys card. I am able to connect to the internet on
the laptop wirelessly but I am not networked as the computers do not
recognize the other is there. I have downloaded the update suggested on this
site. Pinging produces no resluts. If I try to install the network using
Microsoft installer, I am told another program is controlling this. It
appears my only answer may be getting a technician from The Geek Squad ? Any
help would be appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Computers do not see each other
I will check the firewall first. To test it, disable the firewall, can you ping each other? Or this link may help,

Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Bill Smeltzer" <BillSmeltzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news8C62706-1725-4057-A798-5BD9B9A47238@microsoft.com...
I have my desktop running Vista connected to a Linksys router. My laptop
which runxs XP has a linksys card. I am able to connect to the internet on
the laptop wirelessly but I am not networked as the computers do not
recognize the other is there. I have downloaded the update suggested on this
site. Pinging produces no resluts. If I try to install the network using
Microsoft installer, I am told another program is controlling this. It
appears my only answer may be getting a technician from The Geek Squad ? Any
help would be appreciated.
Keith D

Re: Computers do not see each other

>I have my desktop running Vista connected to a Linksys router. My laptop
> which runxs XP has a linksys card. I am able to connect to the internet on
> the laptop wirelessly but I am not networked as the computers do not
> recognize the other is there. I have downloaded the update suggested on
> this
> site. Pinging produces no resluts. If I try to install the network using
> Microsoft installer, I am told another program is controlling this. It
> appears my only answer may be getting a technician from The Geek Squad ?
> Any
> help would be appreciated.

Hi

May sound weird but contact Lynksis

i had all this which was solved by a conference call
between me // m/soft tec dept // lynksis tec dept who had the answer

also check the message on here re firewalls

most have had to delete any third party firewalls
completaly from there computers as disable does not stop them running
in background

that was the first thing Lynksis did to sort my hassle out

now use M/soft live one care on 90 day trial
which is working perfectly

other place to have a look is a little problem solver

http://www.networkmagic.com/download/

cheers for now

Keith D.

Steve Urbach

Re: Computers do not see each other
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 03:16:05 -0800, Bill Smeltzer
<BillSmeltzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have my desktop running Vista connected to a Linksys router. My laptop
>which runxs XP has a linksys card. I am able to connect to the internet on
>the laptop wirelessly but I am not networked as the computers do not
>recognize the other is there. I have downloaded the update suggested on this
>site. Pinging produces no resluts. If I try to install the network using
>Microsoft installer, I am told another program is controlling this. It
>appears my only answer may be getting a technician from The Geek Squad ? Any
>help would be appreciated.

Workgroup name the same?
Is the Network set to Private?
How is the sharing and discovery section set?
do both computers use the SAME IPV4 sub-net?
Is NetBIOS over TCP enabled?

The biggie: Did these 2 computers ever talk BEFORE Vista?