obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the rout

Kratumay

obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the rout
hi all,

pardon me if this is a repost, but i couldn't possibly find a thread with
the problem I have.

Now, i have a windows vista home notebook from toshiba which i'm trying to
connect to the internet with/by using a real ip. but as always it just gives
me a message of local only. However, I can use the notebook via a fake or
router alloted IP (192.168.1.2) but cannot obtain the ip my router has
(202.xxx.xxx.x) which i program it to do (by disabling IP address
distribution). It just doesn't work. I tried all the things i possibly
could think of just to fail everytime.

Example:

suppose my router has the ip alloted to it i.e. 202.123.456.7, but if i
program my router to forward the ip to my computer it just doens't work. My
computer cannot access the internet.

However, if i program the router to allot fake ip's i.e. 192.xxx.xxx.x then
it works absolutely fine.

Pls advise me on any existing solution/thread which I couldn't find.

Thanks in advance,

kratumay
Barb Bowman

Re: obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the rout
why do you NEED the static on the computer? this is somewhat
confusing. I supposed you could put that computer in the DMZ, but
typically people use a router to have a single connection and
distribute private class (not fake) addresses to computers behind it
for protection.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
RalfG

Re: obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the rout
Those aren't fake IPs, those are one of the ranges of addresses allocated
exclusively for use in private networks, which is what everything connected
on the LAN side of your router is. Private IP ranges and internet IP ranges
cannot communicate directly with each other,.. hence the need for routers
and NAT addressing. The router bridges the two distinct zones, LAN and
internet, allowing multiple PCs/devices to access the internet through a
single external connection and IP.

To use an internet IP on your PC you'd need to connect it directly to the
internet using an internal modem of some sort or by using connection
software on the PC to make dial-up connections through an external modem
that is connected directly to the PC. Otherwise the external modem will
typically be assigned the internet IP by your ISP, or your router will,
depending on how the modem (cable or DSL) has been configured and the modem
will connect to the PC using one of the preconfigured private address
ranges. All devices on your network must have different addresses within the
same range, so what you want to do, copying the router's external IP to a
PC, cannot work anyway. Even if it could forward the internet IP to a PC on
the LAN side, the router's own LAN side address range is 192.x.x.x so the PC
would become unable to communicate through the router.

"Kratumay" <Kratumay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> pardon me if this is a repost, but i couldn't possibly find a thread with
> the problem I have.
>
> Now, i have a windows vista home notebook from toshiba which i'm trying to
> connect to the internet with/by using a real ip. but as always it just
> gives
> me a message of local only. However, I can use the notebook via a fake or
> router alloted IP (192.168.1.2) but cannot obtain the ip my router has
> (202.xxx.xxx.x) which i program it to do (by disabling IP address
> distribution). It just doesn't work. I tried all the things i possibly
> could think of just to fail everytime.
>
> Example:
>
> suppose my router has the ip alloted to it i.e. 202.123.456.7, but if i
> program my router to forward the ip to my computer it just doens't work.
> My
> computer cannot access the internet.
>
> However, if i program the router to allot fake ip's i.e. 192.xxx.xxx.x
> then
> it works absolutely fine.
>
> Pls advise me on any existing solution/thread which I couldn't find.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kratumay

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the rout
Hi
The computer gets it IP's type according to the Network that it is connected
to (it is Not your personal choice).
If you connect your computer to a local Network it gets a private IP,
otherwise it would not connect.
If the computer is connected directly to a pure broadband modem it gets an
External Internet IP.
In your case if you would bypass the Router and connect directly to the
Modem you would get an External IP.
If a computer uses WIFI (Wireless Connection) it is always a Local private
IP, unless you have a special personal arrangement with a special ISP that
provides you with Wireless Internet.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Kratumay" <Kratumay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> pardon me if this is a repost, but i couldn't possibly find a thread with
> the problem I have.
>
> Now, i have a windows vista home notebook from toshiba which i'm trying to
> connect to the internet with/by using a real ip. but as always it just
> gives
> me a message of local only. However, I can use the notebook via a fake or
> router alloted IP (192.168.1.2) but cannot obtain the ip my router has
> (202.xxx.xxx.x) which i program it to do (by disabling IP address
> distribution). It just doesn't work. I tried all the things i possibly
> could think of just to fail everytime.
>
> Example:
>
> suppose my router has the ip alloted to it i.e. 202.123.456.7, but if i
> program my router to forward the ip to my computer it just doens't work.
> My
> computer cannot access the internet.
>
> However, if i program the router to allot fake ip's i.e. 192.xxx.xxx.x
> then
> it works absolutely fine.
>
> Pls advise me on any existing solution/thread which I couldn't find.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kratumay

Kratumay

Re: obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the
Thanks for the info guys, but i use p2p softz which are better off having a
external (static/dynamic) ip rather than a router alloted ip. However, the
problem was noticed when my xp desktop was able to do the same i.e. get the
ip forwarded from the modem, but my vista laptop cudn't. Now its highly
impossible/unexpected that my isp(s) would allow such support with xp but not
with vista. Which makes me think somehting is wrong with the config. XP
accepts and uses the ip alloted (external) and works perfect, but vista
doesn't connect to the internet with the same settings. It jus says local
only. It wasn't just the one place where i tried connecting my notebook but
was at 3 different places (of my relatives) which i tried to get thru with.
Not surprised it doesn't connect to the internet. Network and sharing center
shows this ---> notebook--(connected)--router---(unable to
connect/disconnected..whatever is meant by the (x) sign)--internet.

There must exist a solution as its a software and something that i am not
able to figure out.. I really appreciate your time and efforts involved in
this problem, but it means a lot to get my notebook a external ip.. pls dont
disappoint me.. (hopefully not).. cheers and thanks again..

kratumay
net2surfin

Re: obtaining real (static ip alloted through ISP) IP through the
Hi

Before continue, I wonder how you get connected to internet:
1. By modem, VPN, dial up, Point to Point, or what? Or your router has a
built in modem?
-> If you connected via modem, try to connect it directly to your laptop and
configure as necessary.

2. Do you connect to your work network or ISP? Is it DHCP or static IP?
->Correctly identify this will be a key role to successfully connected. If
you connected to network, ask the administrator to obtain extra infos related
your problem. If you connected using ISP, try contact them.

3. Do you have enabled network sharing on Vista's Network Center?
-> On some rare situations, some routers will connect only after you enabled
network sharing. By default, Vista disabled this because it'll increase
security risk. Also, try to disable and re-enable your network.

4. Do you install extra firewall than supplied Windows Firewall? Or
antivirus/ antispam/similiar program? Temporarily disabled them and try to
connect.

p2p softs does usually works better if you connect using direct (or you as
you said "real IP") connection, but by using router, it should be connected
too. I found out that p2p didn't work at it best when using router because of
overloaded traffic, eg. when your router also served many user beside you.
Cheers.