Re: IE 7 is only program that can access internet

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 is only program that can access internet
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"Rogueninja" <Rogueninja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, forgot to mention that my router is completely open to everything, and
> that I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit edition.

I have solved that symptom by requiring that both OE and WLMail
specify my PPPoE connection (instead of getting any connection.)

FWIW I used to have this problem especially with Windows Help and Support.
Here is how I once described that symptom:
<quote>
An even more reliable test of being in the problem state or in the good state
is to use the XP Help and Support (Win-F1) Support menu and try using
the Get help from Microsoft link. When I try it sometimes (now, for example)
I get is the message "An Internet Connection is Required" with a Connect button
to use. The Connect button gives me the option of hanging up my PPPoE connection!
</quote>

Since then I have dramatically reduced the incidences of this and related symptoms
(such as messages not being sent from the Outbox in both OE or WLMail.)
The fix was to change both OE and WLMail on all accounts to specify it wants
the PPPoE connection (instead of just any connection.) I.e., the problem seems
to be that otherwise all products seem to eventually try connecting via a Local Connection
which works but isn't as reliable. So making OE and WLMail refresh the PPPoE link
if necessary has the effect of making all internet applications tend to avoid trying to use
a Local Connection.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---