Network Password

Latour1972

Network Password
Hi, I have a Desktop running Vista and I have just bought a new Laptop also
using Vista. I want the 2 computers to be park of the same network and I have
setup the network sharing on both PCs. I can now see the computers from
either of the Network windows. The only problem is when I try to access
either of them. I right clik on the Laptop from the Desktop and choose "open"
at which stage it is asking me for a Username and Password. I have not set
any password for either of the windows vista PCs and am confused as to what
password and username I should choose if any. Can anyone help.

Thanks
Malke

Re: Network Password
Latour1972 wrote:

> Hi, I have a Desktop running Vista and I have just bought a new Laptop
> also using Vista. I want the 2 computers to be park of the same network
> and I have setup the network sharing on both PCs. I can now see the
> computers from either of the Network windows. The only problem is when I
> try to access either of them. I right clik on the Laptop from the Desktop
> and choose "open" at which stage it is asking me for a Username and
> Password. I have not set any password for either of the windows vista PCs
> and am confused as to what password and username I should choose if any.
> Can anyone help.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders. This will show you how to turn Password sharing ON, which you
should do. If you haven't assigned passwords, do so.

Then create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
need to exist and match on all machines. If you wish a machine to boot
directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for
convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link work for both
XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--