Network Connection Fails from One Laptop but not the other

Hemisphere Dancer

Network Connection Fails from One Laptop but not the other
Ok, before I reinstall Windows Vista I thought I would try this forum.

I have spent multiple days looking for a solution.

I have a PC running Vista Home Professional that was built from scratch and
only running for ten days. I have network sharing (public, file sharing, and
printer sharing turned on, password protected is turned off).

I have a laptop (running Vista Basic) that is on the same Domain and can see
the network and can access some of the shared folders but not all of them.
Example. I have a MyBook attached via USB to the PC, I cannot access a share
of the entire drive but I can access the share of a subdirectory (both of
which have the same sharing permissions and users set).

Where it really starts to get weird, I have another laptop (running Vista
Basic) that also sees the network. However, when I try to access the MyBook
it prompts me for a user name and password and on entering a valid account it
lets me access the MyBook drive.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why one laptop is working and one
is not.

I have tried changing the domain name of the non-working laptop to be
different from the PC and that did not change anything.

I really do not want to reinstall windows and am hoping that someone on here
will know how to fix this, or to at least reset the network sharing setup so
that it will ask me for a user name and password to access the PC Vista
computer.

This has become frustrating since one laptop (on a different domain) can
access perfectly.

Is there a way to force the username password prompt on the laptop.

I am running the Windows Firewall on all three machines and I am running AVG
anti-virus on all three.

I have confirmed that File and Printer sharing is checked on all three
computers in the windows firewall.

HELP ME PLEASE.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Connection Fails from One Laptop but not the other
You may want to create the same username and password on all computers. This
search result may help too.

Vista Permission IssuesVista common issue - can see but access ... So, the
common issues sharing are 1) you may be able to see it but access. 2) you
may be able to open it but . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Hemisphere Dancer" <Hemisphere Dancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsEE83285-9FCF-48B0-9F2A-6C860DEC10DF@microsoft.com...
> Ok, before I reinstall Windows Vista I thought I would try this forum.
>
> I have spent multiple days looking for a solution.
>
> I have a PC running Vista Home Professional that was built from scratch
> and
> only running for ten days. I have network sharing (public, file sharing,
> and
> printer sharing turned on, password protected is turned off).
>
> I have a laptop (running Vista Basic) that is on the same Domain and can
> see
> the network and can access some of the shared folders but not all of them.
> Example. I have a MyBook attached via USB to the PC, I cannot access a
> share
> of the entire drive but I can access the share of a subdirectory (both of
> which have the same sharing permissions and users set).
>
> Where it really starts to get weird, I have another laptop (running Vista
> Basic) that also sees the network. However, when I try to access the
> MyBook
> it prompts me for a user name and password and on entering a valid account
> it
> lets me access the MyBook drive.
>
> I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why one laptop is working and one
> is not.
>
> I have tried changing the domain name of the non-working laptop to be
> different from the PC and that did not change anything.
>
> I really do not want to reinstall windows and am hoping that someone on
> here
> will know how to fix this, or to at least reset the network sharing setup
> so
> that it will ask me for a user name and password to access the PC Vista
> computer.
>
> This has become frustrating since one laptop (on a different domain) can
> access perfectly.
>
> Is there a way to force the username password prompt on the laptop.
>
> I am running the Windows Firewall on all three machines and I am running
> AVG
> anti-virus on all three.
>
> I have confirmed that File and Printer sharing is checked on all three
> computers in the windows firewall.
>
> HELP ME PLEASE.

Hemisphere Dancer

Re: Network Connection Fails from One Laptop but not the other
I already have the same userid and password set on both computers. In fact
the computer that works is the one that does not have this.

The weird thing is that just over a month ago the troubled laptop worked so
I think there is a setting that is messed up. I thought it was the host PC
(not the laptop) until I checked it with the other laptop yesterday and it
worked.

Since I can see some shared drives (including Public) and not other shared
drives this is becoming very frustrating!

Chris
P.S.
I had read that article before I posted and it did not seem to fix any issues.