Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine

me

Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
Hi
I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and the
ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop working
when one pc is plugged to the other
So far I've tried, amongst other things:
-Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
- Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
scrolls and quickly closes.
The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc, but is
fine when I plug it into the router
Can bright ideas...? thanks

Seth

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
"me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news1044F26-9646-4E39-8B6F-CAB7219B78A9@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
> running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and
> the
> ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop working
> when one pc is plugged to the other
> So far I've tried, amongst other things:
> -Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
> - Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
> I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
> scrolls and quickly closes.
> The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc, but
> is
> fine when I plug it into the router
> Can bright ideas...? thanks

You need a cross-over cable. Right now you have the TX pair on both
machines connected to each other and the same for the RX pair. You need the
TX pair on 1 machine to connect to the RX pair on the other and vice-versa.

me

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
Hi I'm using a cross over cable. Its worked before between xp machines.

"Seth" wrote:

> "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news1044F26-9646-4E39-8B6F-CAB7219B78A9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> > I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
> > running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and
> > the
> > ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop working
> > when one pc is plugged to the other
> > So far I've tried, amongst other things:
> > -Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
> > - Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
> > I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
> > scrolls and quickly closes.
> > The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc, but
> > is
> > fine when I plug it into the router
> > Can bright ideas...? thanks

> You need a cross-over cable. Right now you have the TX pair on both
> machines connected to each other and the same for the RX pair. You need the
> TX pair on 1 machine to connect to the RX pair on the other and vice-versa.

Mick Murphy

RE: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
Run the XP Home network file and printer sharing wizard, on the XP machine
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"me" wrote:

> Hi
> I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
> running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and the
> ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop working
> when one pc is plugged to the other
> So far I've tried, amongst other things:
> -Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
> - Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
> I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
> scrolls and quickly closes.
> The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc, but is
> fine when I plug it into the router
> Can bright ideas...? thanks

me

RE: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
I get the message "the network connections listed below are disconnected.
Plug in your network cables ... Local Area Connection SiS 900 Based PCI Fast
Ethernet Card" on the first step of the wizard.
But the cable is plugged in.
When I remove the crossover cable to the Vista computer and connect another
cable to a router - the ethernet works. That suggests the ethernet on the xp
machine is working.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run the XP Home network file and printer sharing wizard, on the XP machine
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "me" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
> > running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and the
> > ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop working
> > when one pc is plugged to the other
> > So far I've tried, amongst other things:
> > -Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
> > - Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
> > I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
> > scrolls and quickly closes.
> > The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc, but is
> > fine when I plug it into the router
> > Can bright ideas...? thanks

Seth

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
If you are getting that message, then you have a hardware error. Either...
- Bad cable
- wrong cable type
- bad pins in the NIC
- Bad solder joint in the NIC

Either way, it indicates that the RX/TX pairs from the NICs aren't
electrically connected to each other.

>I get the message "the network connections listed below are disconnected.
> Plug in your network cables ... Local Area Connection SiS 900 Based PCI
> Fast
> Ethernet Card" on the first step of the wizard.
> But the cable is plugged in.
> When I remove the crossover cable to the Vista computer and connect
> another
> cable to a router - the ethernet works. That suggests the ethernet on the
> xp
> machine is working.
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
>> Run the XP Home network file and printer sharing wizard, on the XP
>> machine
>> --
>> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>>

>> "me" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> > I have little red crosses on the LAN connections between my 2 pcs - one
>> > running vista, on running xp sp2. The ethernet cable is plugged in, and
>> > the
>> > ethernet ports work ok when connecting to a router, they only stop
>> > working
>> > when one pc is plugged to the other
>> > So far I've tried, amongst other things:
>> > -Installing the XP networking patch on the xp machine
>> > - Getting the workgroup and user names the same on both machines
>> > I dont seem to be able to run ipconfig on 1 pc - the window pops up ,
>> > scrolls and quickly closes.
>> > The xp machine says "cable unplugged" when connected to the vista pc,
>> > but is
>> > fine when I plug it into the router
>> > Can bright ideas...? thanks

me

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
I think you're right , I think its the cable as I tried another xp to xp pc ,
that didn't work either.

I tried a different cable - the one I use to my router, that got more
response, but not a full result... Now I'm getting yellow warning icons with
the message "unrecognised network" on the ethernet icons in network places on
both the XP pc and the Vista.

Now I'm not sure if the router cable I'm using now is a crossover cable, but
when I tried it on xp to xp pcs, I got a message "limited connectivity" but I
could certainly see other shared folders on the other pc. Does this mean its
a crossover cable?

"Seth" wrote:

> If you are getting that message, then you have a hardware error. Either...
> - Bad cable
> - wrong cable type
> - bad pins in the NIC
> - Bad solder joint in the NIC
>
> Either way, it indicates that the RX/TX pairs from the NICs aren't
> electrically connected to each other.
>
> "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I get the message "the network connections listed below are disconnected.
> > Plug in your network cables ... Local Area Connection SiS 900 Based PCI
> > Fast
> > Ethernet Card" on the first step of the wizard.
> > But the cable is plugged in.
> > When I remove the crossover cable to the Vista computer and connect
> > another
> > cable to a router - the ethernet works. That suggests the ethernet on the
> > xp
> > machine is working.
> >

> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> >> Run the XP Home network file and printer sharing wizard, on the XP
> >> machine
> >> --
> >> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Seth

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
Hold the 2 connectors up side-by-side and look at the colored wires inside
the connectors. If it is the same color pattern, then it is a straight
through cable. Otherwise it is a cross-over.

>I think you're right , I think its the cable as I tried another xp to xp pc
>,
> that didn't work either.
>
> I tried a different cable - the one I use to my router, that got more
> response, but not a full result... Now I'm getting yellow warning icons
> with
> the message "unrecognised network" on the ethernet icons in network places
> on
> both the XP pc and the Vista.
>
> Now I'm not sure if the router cable I'm using now is a crossover cable,
> but
> when I tried it on xp to xp pcs, I got a message "limited connectivity"
> but I
> could certainly see other shared folders on the other pc. Does this mean
> its
> a crossover cable?
>
> "Seth" wrote:
>
>> If you are getting that message, then you have a hardware error.
>> Either...
>> - Bad cable
>> - wrong cable type
>> - bad pins in the NIC
>> - Bad solder joint in the NIC
>>
>> Either way, it indicates that the RX/TX pairs from the NICs aren't
>> electrically connected to each other.
>>
>> "me" <me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I get the message "the network connections listed below are
>> >disconnected.
>> > Plug in your network cables ... Local Area Connection SiS 900 Based PCI
>> > Fast
>> > Ethernet Card" on the first step of the wizard.
>> > But the cable is plugged in.
>> > When I remove the crossover cable to the Vista computer and connect
>> > another
>> > cable to a router - the ethernet works. That suggests the ethernet on
>> > the
>> > xp
>> > machine is working.

me

Re: Cable unplugged on vista to xp machine
Its cross over then
thanks