Vista causes loss of Internet, now says Local Only

gilisho

Vista causes loss of Internet, now says Local Only
There appears to be a problem in Vista that intermittently prevents the
Internet from connecting. Since I recently installed Vista on my PC I have
had numerous instances where the only Network available is “Local Only” but
no Internet. This usually lasts from a few hours to a few days. This never
happened when using Windows XP on the same computer with the same
connections. (I am using a Motorola SURFboard cable modem and a Linksys
WRT54G Router.) This appears to be a wide spread problem, as a cursory
search of the Net results in complaints of the same problem from many, many
people.

I searched the Internet to help resolve this problem and here are just a few
of the things I have tried:
I have verified that there is an Internet connection both through use of
other computers in the house and also verified by the ISP.
I have connected using an Ethernet cable direct to the modem, through a
router and using a USB wireless connector; in all cases I still get the
“Local Only” message.
I have tried updating the Networking Adapter driver during the few times the
Internet has been up.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Networking Adapter.
Using Microsoft’s knowledge base I changed the registry to toggle the
Broadcast Flag to both on and off but no improvement.
I tried making the network private only.
I tried using cmd to flush the DNS.

None of these actions did anything to solve the problem.
I would appreciate help in coming up with a solution to the problem. My
family is very upset with me for getting Vista. Thanks!!!

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista causes loss of Internet, now says Local Only
If it works with XP but Vista, it could be the incompatible issue. Have you
tried to disable the IPv6? Or this search result may help.

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Local Only and Limited
or No Connectivity. Limited connectivity with Vista notebook · Vista Limited
connectivity · Vista: Local only - no Internet ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"gilisho" <gilisho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There appears to be a problem in Vista that intermittently prevents the
> Internet from connecting. Since I recently installed Vista on my PC I
> have
> had numerous instances where the only Network available is “Local Only”
> but
> no Internet. This usually lasts from a few hours to a few days. This never
> happened when using Windows XP on the same computer with the same
> connections. (I am using a Motorola SURFboard cable modem and a Linksys
> WRT54G Router.) This appears to be a wide spread problem, as a cursory
> search of the Net results in complaints of the same problem from many,
> many
> people.
>
> I searched the Internet to help resolve this problem and here are just a
> few
> of the things I have tried:
> I have verified that there is an Internet connection both through use of
> other computers in the house and also verified by the ISP.
> I have connected using an Ethernet cable direct to the modem, through a
> router and using a USB wireless connector; in all cases I still get the
> “Local Only” message.
> I have tried updating the Networking Adapter driver during the few times
> the
> Internet has been up.
> I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Networking Adapter.
> Using Microsoft’s knowledge base I changed the registry to toggle the
> Broadcast Flag to both on and off but no improvement.
> I tried making the network private only.
> I tried using cmd to flush the DNS.
>
> None of these actions did anything to solve the problem.
> I would appreciate help in coming up with a solution to the problem. My
> family is very upset with me for getting Vista. Thanks!!!

gilisho

RE: Vista causes loss of Internet, now says Local Only
Please help! I haven't had Internet in a week!
As a follow up to my previous post I tried updating my router's firmware and
disabled IPv6 completely. Still no Internet. If this helps here is a copy
of the Ipconfig /all:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-FC-64-EE-A1
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.130.240(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista causes loss of Internet, now says Local Only
169.254.130.240 is the problem. The DHCP doesn't assign IP to the Vista.
Make sure the NIC or router are compatible with the Vista.

Vista incompatible issuesVista Incompatible issues. 1. Some switches or
routers may not compatible with Vista – Solutions: upgrade the firmware,
disable the IPv6, re-configure the ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistacompatible.htm