Printer sharing

cncjeff is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Printer sharing
I am new to this forum, so I apologize if this issue has already been addressed. I am operating a small network in a machine shop. The latest addition is a laptop running Windows Vista Business. This laptop connects to the network wirelessly. There is as printer connected via parallel, to a desktop running Windows XP Pro. The Vista machine successfully networks to the desktop and other computers on the network. However, when trying to print from the wireless Vista laptop to the printer connected directly to the desktop XP Pro machine, the Vista machine indicates that the printer has successfully been added, but nothing ever prints from the Vista machine. Nor do I receive any type of error. Do I have a firewall setup issue, or am I better off just using a print server for the printer? Thanks.
Mick Murphy

RE: Printer sharing
Have you got the latest Vista compatible Printer driver installed your Vista
comp?

A workaround is to send the file you want to print to the XP comp, and print
it from there.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"cncjeff" wrote:

> I am new to this forum, so I apologize if this issue has already been
> addressed. I am operating a small network in a machine shop. The latest
> addition is a laptop running Windows Vista Business. This laptop
> connects to the network wirelessly. There is as printer connected via
> parallel, to a desktop running Windows XP Pro. The Vista machine
> successfully networks to the desktop and other computers on the network.
> However, when trying to print from the wireless Vista laptop to the
> printer connected directly to the desktop XP Pro machine, the Vista
> machine indicates that the printer has successfully been added, but
> nothing ever prints from the Vista machine. Nor do I receive any type of
> error. Do I have a firewall setup issue, or am I better off just using a
> print server for the printer? Thanks.
>

> --
> cncjeff

cncjeff is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think that I have a Vista driver. I added the printer through the Add Printer Wizard, and it added fine. I am wondering now, if it just copied the driver from the XP machine. Is this possible? Do you think it would help if I tried to download a Vista driver for the printer? The problem with copying the file to the XP machine is that I don't have duplicate software for all of my applications resident on the XP machine.

Thanks again.
pyro169

Re: Printer sharing

About your questions cncjeff, you will need a vista driver, so the
computer knows how to 'use' the printer and it may be a good idea to
turn off firewalls on both computers and try and go into the network and
sharing center, and turn on file and printer sharing ... but you NEED a
VISTA DRIVER for your printer .. if u want to try plugging in the
printer directly and let the laptop install it then unhook it and set it
back up on the desktop ... that MAY work too ?

--
pyro169