Network XP Pro to Vista Home

achiomo

Network XP Pro to Vista Home
I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my
XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but
cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried
with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the
gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same
(I changed them repeatedly just in case) and I've tried static IP addresses
On Vista:
Network set to private
*Network discovery on
*file sharing on
*public folder sharing on
*printer sharing on
*password protected sharing off (also tried on)
*when viewing network map, I can see the xp on the map but cannot click on
it. (connected by dashes, I'm assuming because the xp is now setup on
wireless. when I used the crossover cable it was a solid line. same on wired
connection)
*when viewing computers and devices, can see the xp and router but get the
following error when I click on the xp: "Windows cannot access
\\computer-name"
*I can ping the IP address of the xp but not the xp computer name
**I can NOT open the folder by typing the xp IP address or xp computer name
into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)

On the XP:
*LLTD Responder patch IS installed
*when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
it get this error: "The network path was not found"
*I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
*I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)

I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it
again. PLEASE HELP
Mick Murphy

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
Run XP's Set UP A Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard.
That will do the trick!

The rest is correct for what you want to do; transfer by Networking

Cheers!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"achiomo" wrote:

> I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my
> XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but
> cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried
> with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the
> gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same
> (I changed them repeatedly just in case) and I've tried static IP addresses
> On Vista:
> Network set to private
> *Network discovery on
> *file sharing on
> *public folder sharing on
> *printer sharing on
> *password protected sharing off (also tried on)
> *when viewing network map, I can see the xp on the map but cannot click on
> it. (connected by dashes, I'm assuming because the xp is now setup on
> wireless. when I used the crossover cable it was a solid line. same on wired
> connection)
> *when viewing computers and devices, can see the xp and router but get the
> following error when I click on the xp: "Windows cannot access
> \\computer-name"
> *I can ping the IP address of the xp but not the xp computer name
> **I can NOT open the folder by typing the xp IP address or xp computer name
> into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
>
> On the XP:
> *LLTD Responder patch IS installed
> *when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
> it get this error: "The network path was not found"
> *I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
> *I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
> name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
>
> I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
> tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
> restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
> easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
> I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
> need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it
> again. PLEASE HELP

achiomo

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
Hey Mick,
I ran the wizard, but now xp wont even see itself or the vista on the
network. Vista doesn't see the xp anymore either. I tried switching to a
wired connection and waited a bit and ran the wizard again, and also tried
restarting. I've never seen it do that before. I still can ping the vista and
vista can still ping the xp. I don't see that anything reset.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run XP's Set UP A Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard.
> That will do the trick!
>
> The rest is correct for what you want to do; transfer by Networking
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "achiomo" wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my
> > XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but
> > cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried
> > with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the
> > gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same
> > (I changed them repeatedly just in case) and I've tried static IP addresses
> > On Vista:
> > Network set to private
> > *Network discovery on
> > *file sharing on
> > *public folder sharing on
> > *printer sharing on
> > *password protected sharing off (also tried on)
> > *when viewing network map, I can see the xp on the map but cannot click on
> > it. (connected by dashes, I'm assuming because the xp is now setup on
> > wireless. when I used the crossover cable it was a solid line. same on wired
> > connection)
> > *when viewing computers and devices, can see the xp and router but get the
> > following error when I click on the xp: "Windows cannot access
> > \\computer-name"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the xp but not the xp computer name
> > **I can NOT open the folder by typing the xp IP address or xp computer name
> > into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > On the XP:
> > *LLTD Responder patch IS installed
> > *when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
> > it get this error: "The network path was not found"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
> > *I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
> > name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
> > tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
> > restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
> > easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
> > I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
> > need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it
> > again. PLEASE HELP

achiomo

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
So an hour later, and suddenly xp sees itself and vista. vista still doesn't
see xp at all. can't open the vista on xp. maybe another hour?

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run XP's Set UP A Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard.
> That will do the trick!
>
> The rest is correct for what you want to do; transfer by Networking
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "achiomo" wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my
> > XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but
> > cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried
> > with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the
> > gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same
> > (I changed them repeatedly just in case) and I've tried static IP addresses
> > On Vista:
> > Network set to private
> > *Network discovery on
> > *file sharing on
> > *public folder sharing on
> > *printer sharing on
> > *password protected sharing off (also tried on)
> > *when viewing network map, I can see the xp on the map but cannot click on
> > it. (connected by dashes, I'm assuming because the xp is now setup on
> > wireless. when I used the crossover cable it was a solid line. same on wired
> > connection)
> > *when viewing computers and devices, can see the xp and router but get the
> > following error when I click on the xp: "Windows cannot access
> > \\computer-name"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the xp but not the xp computer name
> > **I can NOT open the folder by typing the xp IP address or xp computer name
> > into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > On the XP:
> > *LLTD Responder patch IS installed
> > *when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
> > it get this error: "The network path was not found"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
> > *I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
> > name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
> > tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
> > restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
> > easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
> > I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
> > need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it
> > again. PLEASE HELP

achiomo

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
Hey, they can see each other again, ping each other's ip adresses, but no
dice on accessing the files. Back at square 1...

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run XP's Set UP A Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard.
> That will do the trick!
>
> The rest is correct for what you want to do; transfer by Networking
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "achiomo" wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a computer for my house and wanted to transfer files from my
> > XP laptop to the vista desktop. I tried crossover cable and router, but
> > cannot completely setup the network between the two computers. I've tried
> > with firewalls on and off, and the laptop does NOT have norton (on the
> > gazillion forums I've read, norton is a problem.) The workgroups are the same
> > (I changed them repeatedly just in case) and I've tried static IP addresses
> > On Vista:
> > Network set to private
> > *Network discovery on
> > *file sharing on
> > *public folder sharing on
> > *printer sharing on
> > *password protected sharing off (also tried on)
> > *when viewing network map, I can see the xp on the map but cannot click on
> > it. (connected by dashes, I'm assuming because the xp is now setup on
> > wireless. when I used the crossover cable it was a solid line. same on wired
> > connection)
> > *when viewing computers and devices, can see the xp and router but get the
> > following error when I click on the xp: "Windows cannot access
> > \\computer-name"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the xp but not the xp computer name
> > **I can NOT open the folder by typing the xp IP address or xp computer name
> > into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > On the XP:
> > *LLTD Responder patch IS installed
> > *when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
> > it get this error: "The network path was not found"
> > *I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
> > *I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
> > name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> >
> > I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
> > tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
> > restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
> > easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
> > I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
> > need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it
> > again. PLEASE HELP

Mick Murphy

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"achiomo" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > On the XP:
> > > *LLTD Responder patch IS installed
> > > *when viewing workgroup computers I can see the vista, but when I click on
> > > it get this error: "The network path was not found"
> > > *I can ping the IP address of the vista, but not the vista computer name
> > > *I can NOT open the folder by typing the vista IP address or vista computer
> > > name into explorer (\\IP-ADDRESS or \\COMPUTER_NAME)
> > >
> > > I've read online directions on the Microsoft and other websites and also
> > > tried to run easy transfer but to no avail. I've also crossed my fingers and
> > > restarted the computer, but no luck. I'm on a fixed budget and cannot get a
> > > easy transfer cable at the moment (parents are cheap sometimes...) From what
> > > I've read on other forums this is a huge issue with varying symptoms. I just
> > > need it to work once so I can move some files, then I swear I'll never do it

achiomo

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
Hey Mick,
I saw this link and those directions before, but one question. I do have a
guest account set up on both computers, but do ALL the user accounts need to
match?
achiomo

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "achiomo" wrote:
>
> > Hey Mick,
> > I ran the wizard, but now xp wont even see itself or the vista on the
> > network. Vista doesn't see the xp anymore either. I tried switching to a
> > wired connection and waited a bit and ran the wizard again, and also tried
> > restarting. I've never seen it do that before. I still can ping the vista and
> > vista can still ping the xp. I don't see that anything reset.
> >
> > "Mick Murphy" wrote:
> >
> > > Run XP's Set UP A Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard.
> > > That will do the trick!
> > >
> > > The rest is correct for what you want to do; transfer by Networking
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > > --
> > > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

venturen

RE: Network XP Pro to Vista Home
I got mine working by adding the "Client for Microsoft Networking" in the
network adpator. I also went throught 30 different checklists and probably
did a lot of harm when it was pretty simple. Goodluck