Cannot get XP desktop-Vista laptop network to work

frustrated

Cannot get XP desktop-Vista laptop network to work
I have spent the better part of two weekends trying to get my XP w/ Service
Pack 2 desktop to network with my Vista Home Premium laptop.

Both computers are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP).

I have turned off all firewalls, both software-based and on my router.

On the XP computer, I have installed the LLTD protocol.

The XP computer shows the Vista computer in the workgroup, but when I try to
access it it tells me it is not accessible because I "might not have
permission to use this network resource."

In Vista, the XP computer shows up in the Network Map, but when I pass the
cursor over it, it stays as an arrow; it does not change to a hand.

Furthermore, in the Vista Network window, it shows the router and the Vista
computer itself, but not the XP computer. I also cannot access the XP
computer directly by typing \\ and its name.

Each computer is able the ping the other.

I am using a Linksys WRT54G-TM router.

I am an administrator on both computers.

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot get XP desktop-Vista laptop network to work
Run the XP's Home Network File and Printer sharing wizard.

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"frustrated" wrote:

> I have spent the better part of two weekends trying to get my XP w/ Service
> Pack 2 desktop to network with my Vista Home Premium laptop.
>
> Both computers are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP).
>
> I have turned off all firewalls, both software-based and on my router.
>
> On the XP computer, I have installed the LLTD protocol.
>
> The XP computer shows the Vista computer in the workgroup, but when I try to
> access it it tells me it is not accessible because I "might not have
> permission to use this network resource."
>
> In Vista, the XP computer shows up in the Network Map, but when I pass the
> cursor over it, it stays as an arrow; it does not change to a hand.
>
> Furthermore, in the Vista Network window, it shows the router and the Vista
> computer itself, but not the XP computer. I also cannot access the XP
> computer directly by typing \\ and its name.
>
> Each computer is able the ping the other.
>
> I am using a Linksys WRT54G-TM router.
>
> I am an administrator on both computers.
>
> This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

frustrated

RE: Cannot get XP desktop-Vista laptop network to work
Thank you but I'm not sure you read my post.

I do not have any firewalls running. All my computers are in the same
workgroup. I have network discovery and file sharing set to on. I do not
know what "Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard" you're talking about;
I've already run the Home Networking Wizard numerous times, if that's what
you mean.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Run the XP's Home Network File and Printer sharing wizard.

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "frustrated" wrote:
>
> > I have spent the better part of two weekends trying to get my XP w/ Service
> > Pack 2 desktop to network with my Vista Home Premium laptop.
> >
> > Both computers are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP).
> >
> > I have turned off all firewalls, both software-based and on my router.
> >
> > On the XP computer, I have installed the LLTD protocol.
> >
> > The XP computer shows the Vista computer in the workgroup, but when I try to
> > access it it tells me it is not accessible because I "might not have
> > permission to use this network resource."
> >
> > In Vista, the XP computer shows up in the Network Map, but when I pass the
> > cursor over it, it stays as an arrow; it does not change to a hand.
> >
> > Furthermore, in the Vista Network window, it shows the router and the Vista
> > computer itself, but not the XP computer. I also cannot access the XP
> > computer directly by typing \\ and its name.
> >
> > Each computer is able the ping the other.
> >
> > I am using a Linksys WRT54G-TM router.
> >
> > I am an administrator on both computers.
> >
> > This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Keenan

"frustrated" <frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have spent the better part of two weekends trying to get my XP w/ Service
> Pack 2 desktop to network with my Vista Home Premium laptop.
>
> Both computers are in the same workgroup (WORKGROUP).
>
> I have turned off all firewalls, both software-based and on my router.
>
> On the XP computer, I have installed the LLTD protocol.
>
> The XP computer shows the Vista computer in the workgroup, but when I try
> access it it tells me it is not accessible because I "might not have
> permission to use this network resource."

Make sure you have a matching account on both systems. You don't have to
be logged in using that on both.

> In Vista, the XP computer shows up in the Network Map, but when I pass the
> cursor over it, it stays as an arrow; it does not change to a hand.
>
> Furthermore, in the Vista Network window, it shows the router and the
> Vista
> computer itself, but not the XP computer. I also cannot access the XP
> computer directly by typing \\ and its name.
>
> Each computer is able the ping the other.
>
> I am using a Linksys WRT54G-TM router.
>
> I am an administrator on both computers.
>
> This is driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the vista system? that's what finally
allowed my Vista laptop to see my XP desktop, which until then could not see
the XP system even while that system was busy shovelling files onto the
Vista laptop's drive.

Later, I re-enabled IPv6, and the connection still worked, but until it was
initially disabled, it just didn't work at all.

HTH
-pk

frustrated

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:
> Make sure you have a matching account on both systems. You don't have to
> be logged in using that on both.

Do you mean the same user name on both, or on both as administrator? Both
are true in this case.

> Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the vista system? that's what finally
> allowed my Vista laptop to see my XP desktop, which until then could not see
> the XP system even while that system was busy shovelling files onto the
> Vista laptop's drive.
>
> Later, I re-enabled IPv6, and the connection still worked, but until it was
> initially disabled, it just didn't work at all.

How do I disable it? The box for "Uninstall" in the Wireless Network
Connection Properties box is grayed out when I click on IPv6.

Thanks for your help.
Patrick Keenan

news0DC8048-80B3-4D51-96A3-6AB627EA25CB@microsoft.com...
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>> Make sure you have a matching account on both systems. You don't have
>> be logged in using that on both.

> Do you mean the same user name on both, or on both as administrator? Both
> are true in this case.

I mean an account with the same username and password has to exist on both
systems.

But even with that, this would not work for me until IPv6 was disabled
(re-enabling it later did not break the connection).

>> Have you tried disabling IPv6 on the vista system? that's what finally
>> allowed my Vista laptop to see my XP desktop, which until then could not
>> see
>> the XP system even while that system was busy shovelling files onto the
>> Vista laptop's drive.
>>
>> Later, I re-enabled IPv6, and the connection still worked, but until it
>> was
>> initially disabled, it just didn't work at all.

> How do I disable it? The box for "Uninstall" in the Wireless Network
> Connection Properties box is grayed out when I click on IPv6.

Are you logged on with an administrator level account? And you don't need
to uninstall it, but just disable it - remove the checkmark.

HTH
-pk

> Thanks for your help.

ridge1@cox.net is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Cannot get XP desktop-Vista laptop network to work
Dude, you are a genius!!! For months I've been searching the internet to find the answer to my networking problem between my XP desktops and my Vista laptop - with no success and loads of frustration - until I read your post today about disabling the IPv6 protocol. I almost fainted when I was suddenly able to access my Vista shares from XP - almost like a dream!!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom!!!

U Da Man!!
Ridge