how to monitor router activity

Adams H

how to monitor router activity
We are using Netgear Router in most offices in Northern California offices.

Most are Net gear router modele MR814 & WGR614, 4 wired ports and 1 wireless
port; and WG311 wireless adapters.

Is there anyway to monitor the router activity? Anyway to see which port
(wired and wireless) is active and network traffic. Also, want to make sure
nobody outside our approved users is using the wireless ports?

We know about the router log in the router set up page (from all ports, all
mixed), showing what URL is contacted and time stamped.

Thank you.

Kerry Brown

Re: how to monitor router activity
"Adams H" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> We are using Netgear Router in most offices in Northern California
> offices.
>
> Most are Net gear router modele MR814 & WGR614, 4 wired ports and 1
> wireless port; and WG311 wireless adapters.
>
> Is there anyway to monitor the router activity? Anyway to see which port
> (wired and wireless) is active and network traffic. Also, want to make
> sure nobody outside our approved users is using the wireless ports?
>
> We know about the router log in the router set up page (from all ports,
> all mixed), showing what URL is contacted and time stamped.
>
> Thank you.

You could try Wallwatcher

http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/

I don't see your routers on the supported list but if the will write an
external log they will probably work.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience

Barb Bowman

Re: how to monitor router activity
These Netgear routers are usually used in residential (as opposed to
business) environments. Don't know how much logging is available
other than what you state below.

However, with respect to the wireless, you ARE using WPA2 or at
least WPA, aren't you? That would limit usage to those to whom you
have given the passphrase.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Adams H

"Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> These Netgear routers are usually used in residential (as opposed to
> business) environments. Don't know how much logging is available
> other than what you state below.
>
> However, with respect to the wireless, you ARE using WPA2 or at
> least WPA, aren't you? That would limit usage to those to whom you
> have given the passphrase.

We used different WPA and WPA2, set up depending on each department manager
or department tech.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: how to monitor router activity
Hi
Entry level Router do not maintain logs rich enough to do what you would
like to do.
Wireless (especially business) must be encrypted, and as posted above No one
would log unless you give them the Key.
However if people "share" the key with others it Not secure either.
The usual way businesses control the Wireless is either by using Wireless
Hardware that has much more elaborate log on controls. Or if you already
have a server in your office you can add to it RADIUS Server (Windows 2003
IAS) and it would provide the control needed.

"Adams H" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> We are using Netgear Router in most offices in Northern California
> offices.
>
> Most are Net gear router modele MR814 & WGR614, 4 wired ports and 1
> wireless port; and WG311 wireless adapters.
>
> Is there anyway to monitor the router activity? Anyway to see which port
> (wired and wireless) is active and network traffic. Also, want to make
> sure nobody outside our approved users is using the wireless ports?
>
> We know about the router log in the router set up page (from all ports,
> all mixed), showing what URL is contacted and time stamped.
>
> Thank you.

Adams H

> "Adams H" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
>
> You could try Wallwatcher
>
> http://sonic.net/wallwatcher/
>
> I don't see your routers on the supported list but if the will write an
> external log they will probably work.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Thanks Kerry. Found WallWatcher, in their hardware list, it does not include
the entire Netgear MR series of popular routers.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: how to monitor router activity
Hi
For business purposes you can not mange securely Wireless with Entry Level
Wireless Hardware.
To employ the control that you want you either need Wireless hardware that
is specifically designed for Controlling/Monitoring the log ons.
Or if you have a real server installed, you can add to it RADUIS Server
(Windows 2003 IAS).
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3287481
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> "Barb Bowman" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> These Netgear routers are usually used in residential (as opposed to
>> business) environments. Don't know how much logging is available
>> other than what you state below.
>>
>> However, with respect to the wireless, you ARE using WPA2 or at
>> least WPA, aren't you? That would limit usage to those to whom you
>> have given the passphrase.
>>

> We used different WPA and WPA2, set up depending on each department
> manager or department tech.

Barb Bowman

Re: how to monitor router activity
that should provide sufficient encryption. but in a business
environment, most people use a Radius server (people might share the
passphrase with who knows whom).

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
John Barnett MVP

Re: how to monitor router activity
I downloaded Wallwatcher last night but can't get it to install, it just
keeps telling me a .dll file is missing (can't remember which one, off hand)
It does actually cover the netgear router I am using.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"John Barnett MVP" <freelance@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
newsCD192ED-4E6C-4507-9A28-C4B1ACE12BB4@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded Wallwatcher last night but can't get it to install, it just
>keeps telling me a .dll file is missing (can't remember which one, off
>hand) It does actually cover the netgear router I am using.

You need to download the library as well. It's right under the download link
on the main page. If you are installing it in Vista there is also a section
in the FAQ that may be appropriate.