psk encryption

vambo

psk encryption
Hi, I have a Vista laptop with Home Basic. My other 3 XP laptops can connect
to my wireless network ok. I use a Vigor 2600 with firmware v1.06.7.04.2 with
wpa/psk 64 bit, mac enabled and hidden ssid.
On my Vista laptop from the control panel, network & sharing centre, if i
select connect to a network, the following shows;Unamed network - security
enabled (there are no other networks round about me).
If I select"manage networks" I can see my own named network.
I cannot conect to this unless i remove my encrtptionand as numerous forums
have reported Vista does not offer PSK when manually configuring a wireless
network.

Does anyone have the answer please.

Thanx

Vambo
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: psk encryption
Hi
Switch On the SSID.
Any one who can brake security knows how to bypass SSID in 20sec.. switching
Off SSID while using encryption does not add any security and impedes the
proper work of the Wireless connection.
Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
display?
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
Disabling SSID, will my Wireless System be more secure?
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"vambo" <vambo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a Vista laptop with Home Basic. My other 3 XP laptops can
> connect
> to my wireless network ok. I use a Vigor 2600 with firmware v1.06.7.04.2
> with
> wpa/psk 64 bit, mac enabled and hidden ssid.
> On my Vista laptop from the control panel, network & sharing centre, if i
> select connect to a network, the following shows;Unamed network - security
> enabled (there are no other networks round about me).
> If I select"manage networks" I can see my own named network.
> I cannot conect to this unless i remove my encrtptionand as numerous
> forums
> have reported Vista does not offer PSK when manually configuring a
> wireless
> network.
>
> Does anyone have the answer please.
>
> Thanx
>
> Vambo

vambo

Re: psk encryption
Hi Jack,
appreciate the reply!
Surely if a ssid is not broadcast then to all intent and purpose the network
is not visible unless you are hacking with the appropriate tools. But to the
normal pc user this means no temtation to try and hack.
Re- the hyper links you sent, sorry they do not work.

Thanks

Vambo.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Switch On the SSID.
> Any one who can brake security knows how to bypass SSID in 20sec.. switching
> Off SSID while using encryption does not add any security and impedes the
> proper work of the Wireless connection.
> Why I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
> display?
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
> Disabling SSID, will my Wireless System be more secure?
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "vambo" <vambo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have a Vista laptop with Home Basic. My other 3 XP laptops can
> > connect
> > to my wireless network ok. I use a Vigor 2600 with firmware v1.06.7.04.2
> > with
> > wpa/psk 64 bit, mac enabled and hidden ssid.
> > On my Vista laptop from the control panel, network & sharing centre, if i
> > select connect to a network, the following shows;Unamed network - security
> > enabled (there are no other networks round about me).
> > If I select"manage networks" I can see my own named network.
> > I cannot conect to this unless i remove my encrtptionand as numerous
> > forums
> > have reported Vista does not offer PSK when manually configuring a
> > wireless
> > network.
> >
> > Does anyone have the answer please.
> >
> > Thanx
> >
> > Vambo

Barb Bowman

Re: psk encryption
You'd be surprised at how many tools are available and how many
"normal" users have them.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:58:01 -0800, vambo

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
vambo

Re: psk encryption
Hi Barb,
Thanks for the intrest!
Yes, I have them; Stumbler, Aircrack,BackTrack etc. But I'm an IT tech and
even I can't connect to my own network with Vista so I doubt the Hippy couple
next door that don't own a pc and the three other houses with oap's in them
is much of a threat.
But back to my original problem, is there a fix for this?
Hats off to you if you know!

Regards

Vambo