Vista is slow accessing network shares

Jeff

Vista is slow accessing network shares
I support about 200 XP users and, now, about 8 Vista Business users on our
2003 AD network. 100% of the Vista clients are unacceptably slow
accessing/copying/moving files from shares on the network. Even opening a
network drive pauses for 30 secs. to as much as 2 minutes to populate the
window with the file and folder names, whereas this is instant with XP
clients.

HELP!

Jeff
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista is slow accessing network shares
Do all Vista computers have the same anti virus software. If yes, that could
be the problem. Try disable one for test. Or check this search result.

Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I have a
mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista > > business)
Two are Vista . ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I support about 200 XP users and, now, about 8 Vista Business users on our
> 2003 AD network. 100% of the Vista clients are unacceptably slow
> accessing/copying/moving files from shares on the network. Even opening a
> network drive pauses for 30 secs. to as much as 2 minutes to populate the
> window with the file and folder names, whereas this is instant with XP
> clients.
>
> HELP!
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Re: Vista is slow accessing network shares
No, all but 2 are running Kaspersky Ent. 6.x, which is a security suite, not
just anti-virus. I'll try this suggestion, though.

Via google, I came up with these suggestions, some of which worked for some
people:

Disable IPV6
Disable offline files (on by default)
Run this as an admin on client: net localgroup "Administrators" "Local
Service" /add
Disable differental compression on the client
Disable auto-tuning

I'll start with the security software then try some or all of the above when
I get a chance. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Jeff

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do all Vista computers have the same anti virus software. If yes, that could
> be the problem. Try disable one for test. Or check this search result.
>
> Vista Slow IssuesVista business slow accessing domain resources ... I have a
> mix of machines running on an SBS domain. (XP, Mac, and Vista > > business)
> Two are Vista . ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaslow.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Jeff" <Jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I support about 200 XP users and, now, about 8 Vista Business users on our
> > 2003 AD network. 100% of the Vista clients are unacceptably slow
> > accessing/copying/moving files from shares on the network. Even opening a
> > network drive pauses for 30 secs. to as much as 2 minutes to populate the
> > window with the file and folder names, whereas this is instant with XP
> > clients.
> >
> > HELP!
> >
> > Jeff

John

RE: Vista is slow accessing network shares
Are you still having the problem? I am having the same problem. How did you
fix the problem? I have tried lots of different things posted on the
internet but to no avail.

John

"Jeff" wrote:

> I support about 200 XP users and, now, about 8 Vista Business users on our
> 2003 AD network. 100% of the Vista clients are unacceptably slow
> accessing/copying/moving files from shares on the network. Even opening a
> network drive pauses for 30 secs. to as much as 2 minutes to populate the
> window with the file and folder names, whereas this is instant with XP
> clients.
>
> HELP!
>
> Jeff

Jeff

RE: Vista is slow accessing network shares
I found the following that had fixed the problem for others and was able to
get the problem fixed. I'm not sure which solved the problem. I just did them
all, rebooted, and it was fixed:

Open Control Panel from the Start menu and type Offline in the Control Panel
search box. Click on the green Offline Files link and click the disable
button.

Disabling Remote Differential Compression. To do this, open Control
Panel>Add Remove Programs>Turn off Windows features, uncheck Remote
Differential Compression.

Disable auto tuning

Disable IPv6

from run: type: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled