Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination is

BillH

Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination is
I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I have
no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista machine
refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The reason
code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout and I
checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that seems
unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination is
Reason code 828 could be a security settings or 3rd party software issues.
Double check the settings to check this search result.

Vista VPN IssuesVista VPN: The reason code returned on termination is 828 ·
Vista VPN issues · Vista VPN time out · Vista VPN Users will be prompted to
input credentials ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistavpn.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"BillH" <BillH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news6FC3427-28E5-4226-AAD7-D048E9500857@microsoft.com...
> I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I
> have
> no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista
> machine
> refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The
> reason
> code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout
> and I
> checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that seems
> unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks,
> Bill

BillH

Re: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination
Hi Bob,

I've seen your posts on this during my search and I had explored the page
you reference as well. There are no 3rd parties involved here, this strictly
Microsoft Vista VPN Client direct to Microsoft Server 2003 hosted Microsoft
VPN. Thanks anyway for your reply!

Bill

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Reason code 828 could be a security settings or 3rd party software issues.
> Double check the settings to check this search result.
>
> Vista VPN IssuesVista VPN: The reason code returned on termination is 828 ·
> Vista VPN issues · Vista VPN time out · Vista VPN Users will be prompted to
> input credentials ...
> www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistavpn.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "BillH" <BillH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news6FC3427-28E5-4226-AAD7-D048E9500857@microsoft.com...
> > I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I
> > have
> > no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista
> > machine
> > refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The
> > reason
> > code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout
> > and I
> > checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that seems
> > unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks,
> > Bill

BillH

RE: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination is
OK. I figured it out. For some reason the VPN client in Vista cares if you
use TKIP or AES encryption on a wireless network. When I changed the
settings from TKIP to AES on the Belkin wireless/router/firewall combo I was
able to connect my VPN.

Hope this helps some of the other people who I've seen wondering why they
couldn't connect to their VPN.

Bill

"BillH" wrote:

> I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I have
> no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista machine
> refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The reason
> code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout and I
> checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that seems
> unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination is
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--

> OK. I figured it out. For some reason the VPN client in Vista cares if
> you
> use TKIP or AES encryption on a wireless network. When I changed the
> settings from TKIP to AES on the Belkin wireless/router/firewall combo I
> was
> able to connect my VPN.
>
> Hope this helps some of the other people who I've seen wondering why they
> couldn't connect to their VPN.
>
> Bill
>

> "BillH" wrote:
>
>> I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I
>> have
>> no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista
>> machine
>> refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The
>> reason
>> code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout
>> and I
>> checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that
>> seems
>> unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks,
>> Bill

BillH

RE: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination
*sigh* Looks like the encryption thing was a red herring. It seems that
this Belkin wireless/router/firewall combo (F5D7230-4) that I got a few years
ago for $15 (new,even) only supports one computer connecting a VPN at a time.
I've tried several experiments and when I disconnect one computer I can
connect up the other one (sometimes after restarting the router) and go back
and forth between the two, but when one is connected via wireless and VPN,
the other one can't add the VPN to its wireless connection. I never cease to
be amazed by the things I find out working with these devices.

"BillH" wrote:

> OK. I figured it out. For some reason the VPN client in Vista cares if you
> use TKIP or AES encryption on a wireless network. When I changed the
> settings from TKIP to AES on the Belkin wireless/router/firewall combo I was
> able to connect my VPN.
>
> Hope this helps some of the other people who I've seen wondering why they
> couldn't connect to their VPN.
>
> Bill
>

> "BillH" wrote:
>
> > I've seen this error posted, but have yet to see a resolution to it. I have
> > no problem connectiong to this VPN on my XP machine, but my new Vista machine
> > refuses to connect with the error message in the event log: "... The reason
> > code returned on termination is 828". I've found out this is a timeout and I
> > checked the idle timeout drop down and it was set to "never" so that seems
> > unlikely to be the root problem. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't connect to VPN - The reason code returned on termination
Correct. Some router support only one VPN session.