Vista Business, Can't connect to Home network

=?Utf-8?B?Um9u?=

Vista Business, Can't connect to Home network
Got new Lenovo tablet with Vista business on it. I can't see any other
computers on the network. Exhaused Lenovo supprort and all Microsoft helps
that I can find.
Things I have tried:
Activated file sharing (and everything else in the networking screen)
Activated file sharing in Vista's devise manager.
Shared my document file:
Turn off firewalls on all machines and rebooted
Went to firewall and opened all ports.
Opened second non-administrator user account.
Checked that workgroup is "Private", not "Public"
Set up public folder and put something in it. still not seen from other
machines.
Called Lenovo and asked them to return the machine as defective. (They
didn't bite)

Interestinly I can access the internet, and I can print to a printer on the
XP machine, but I can't see any other machines or share anything.

I just can't understand how accessing a simple home network could be SOOO
hard!
Steve Urbach

Re: Vista Business, Can't connect to Home network
On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:22:53 -0800, Ron <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Got new Lenovo tablet with Vista business on it. I can't see any other
>computers on the network. Exhaused Lenovo supprort and all Microsoft helps
>that I can find.
>Things I have tried:
>Activated file sharing (and everything else in the networking screen)
>Activated file sharing in Vista's devise manager.
>Shared my document file:
>Turn off firewalls on all machines and rebooted
>Went to firewall and opened all ports.
>Opened second non-administrator user account.
>Checked that workgroup is "Private", not "Public"
>Set up public folder and put something in it. still not seen from other
>machines.
>Called Lenovo and asked them to return the machine as defective. (They
>didn't bite)
>
>Interestinly I can access the internet, and I can print to a printer on the
>XP machine, but I can't see any other machines or share anything.
>
>I just can't understand how accessing a simple home network could be SOOO
>hard!

Did you specify the correct "workgroup" name?
Running Vista Ultimate rc2 x86 and it plays well with a home network
of W98se, W2Kpro, XPpro.
=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

RE: Vista Business, Can't connect to Home network
Ron, I am having the same problem with my new hp. only I can't see the
printer either...let me know if you get this resolved.

"Ron" wrote:

> Got new Lenovo tablet with Vista business on it. I can't see any other
> computers on the network. Exhaused Lenovo supprort and all Microsoft helps
> that I can find.
> Things I have tried:
> Activated file sharing (and everything else in the networking screen)
> Activated file sharing in Vista's devise manager.
> Shared my document file:
> Turn off firewalls on all machines and rebooted
> Went to firewall and opened all ports.
> Opened second non-administrator user account.
> Checked that workgroup is "Private", not "Public"
> Set up public folder and put something in it. still not seen from other
> machines.
> Called Lenovo and asked them to return the machine as defective. (They
> didn't bite)
>
> Interestinly I can access the internet, and I can print to a printer on the
> XP machine, but I can't see any other machines or share anything.
>
> I just can't understand how accessing a simple home network could be SOOO
> hard!

=?Utf-8?B?YW50aW55eA==?=

RE: Vista Business, Can't connect to Home network
Yes, the work groups are the same.
I finally paid (Read, Lenovo ain't what IBM used to be) for Microsoft
support. They couldn't fix it either. They have escallated it to the
engineer level.

"Chris" wrote:

> Ron, I am having the same problem with my new hp. only I can't see the
> printer either...let me know if you get this resolved.
>
> "Ron" wrote:
>
> > Got new Lenovo tablet with Vista business on it. I can't see any other
> > computers on the network. Exhaused Lenovo supprort and all Microsoft helps
> > that I can find.
> > Things I have tried:
> > Activated file sharing (and everything else in the networking screen)
> > Activated file sharing in Vista's devise manager.
> > Shared my document file:
> > Turn off firewalls on all machines and rebooted
> > Went to firewall and opened all ports.
> > Opened second non-administrator user account.
> > Checked that workgroup is "Private", not "Public"
> > Set up public folder and put something in it. still not seen from other
> > machines.
> > Called Lenovo and asked them to return the machine as defective. (They
> > didn't bite)
> >
> > Interestinly I can access the internet, and I can print to a printer on the
> > XP machine, but I can't see any other machines or share anything.
> >
> > I just can't understand how accessing a simple home network could be SOOO
> > hard!

Nate

vista connect
Microsoft has a patch that needs to be downloaded to all XP machines to help a Vista machine discover them.
WindowsXP-KB922120-v5-x86-ENU.exe

http://www.eggheadcafe.com