UNIX X Windows display for Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?a2JlZGth?=

UNIX X Windows display for Vista Ultimate
Does Windows Vista Ultimate have built-in functionality to display graphics
from a remote Unix machine on a local Windows machine. In the past, I've had
to purchase terminal emulators and do a bunch of hocus-pocus to get this to
work properly. Any insight here would be appreciated.
AJR

Re: UNIX X Windows display for Vista Ultimate
Ultimate Vista and Enterprise Vista include UNIX capabilities - whether or
not for your specific purpose?

"kbedka" <kbedka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Windows Vista Ultimate have built-in functionality to display
> graphics
> from a remote Unix machine on a local Windows machine. In the past, I've
> had
> to purchase terminal emulators and do a bunch of hocus-pocus to get this
> work properly. Any insight here would be appreciated.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: UNIX X Windows display for Vista Ultimate
"kbedka" <kbedka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Windows Vista Ultimate have built-in functionality to display
> graphics
> from a remote Unix machine on a local Windows machine. In the past, I've
> had
> to purchase terminal emulators and do a bunch of hocus-pocus to get this
> work properly. Any insight here would be appreciated.

You might look into using VMware or Virtual PC (from MS) and run Linux in a
virtual session. Its possible VPC may not run Linux though. Check the
documentation...

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

I have not seen any X emulators for Vista yet, but they may exist...

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Sooner Al [MVP]

> "kbedka" <kbedka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Does Windows Vista Ultimate have built-in functionality to display
>> graphics
>> from a remote Unix machine on a local Windows machine. In the past, I've
>> had
>> to purchase terminal emulators and do a bunch of hocus-pocus to get this
>> work properly. Any insight here would be appreciated.

> You might look into using VMware or Virtual PC (from MS) and run Linux in
> a virtual session. Its possible VPC may not run Linux though. Check the
> documentation...
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/
>
> I have not seen any X emulators for Vista yet, but they may exist...
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

Well, I guess you can run Linux with VPC...

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...03/566273.aspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

tigerhawkvok

RE: UNIX X Windows display for Vista Ultimate
I've found that xming is a great xserver, and its free. You can't ask for
much more! Ages ahead of the Cygwin X-Server.
~Philip