Two wireless connections?

Earl J

Two wireless connections?
While trying to get my wireless set up to the router I created a couple of
different connections in the laptop with different names. Only one of these
connections shows up in the wireless connection box but when I connect it
seems to alternate between the two. How do I see all the connections and
eliminate the extra one? Can I eliminate all the present connections and
start over? Thanks!

mango2012

Re: Two wireless connections?

I got a new laptop yesterday and been trying to fix the same problem
that came up somehow. I am connected through an access point. The first
time I connected to it, everything was just fine. Then Vista asked me (I
think) how to categorize the current conection... the choices were home,
work and public (if I remember correctly). I chose home. now, when I
connect to the simgle accespoint at home, I get conected to two places
simultaneously. On is the access point called home, the other one is
labelled access point 2 (but is the same device actually) and it is
called something like "shared" the descri[tion on that one is in
Turkish, so I am trying to translate it, but might miss the actual term.
Well, exactly as you are experiencing two connections, I am
experiencing them, although I cannot access the internet, even if I am
connected to "both" simultaneously. Does anyone have an idea?

--
mango2012
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Two wireless connections?
Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"mango2012" <mango2012.30lr1c@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I got a new laptop yesterday and been trying to fix the same problem
> that came up somehow. I am connected through an access point. The first
> time I connected to it, everything was just fine. Then Vista asked me (I
> think) how to categorize the current conection... the choices were home,
> work and public (if I remember correctly). I chose home. now, when I
> connect to the simgle accespoint at home, I get conected to two places
> simultaneously. On is the access point called home, the other one is
> labelled access point 2 (but is the same device actually) and it is
> called something like "shared" the descri[tion on that one is in
> Turkish, so I am trying to translate it, but might miss the actual term.
> Well, exactly as you are experiencing two connections, I am
> experiencing them, although I cannot access the internet, even if I am
> connected to "both" simultaneously. Does anyone have an idea?
>

> --
> mango2012

mango2012

Re: Two wireless connections?

Thank you for the concern

After about 5 hours of freaking out I finally solved the problem.
There was a command to merge both connections into one.
I did it and voila )

If anyone else has this problem, please send a reply here, so I can
describe step-by-step how to solve the issue

Cheers!

--
mango2012
holz0098

Re: Two wireless connections?
YES! I am having similar problems with Vista. I can connect to the network
just fine but no internet connection is established. I just bought my
computer like 2 months ago and was connected for some short time until it
decided not to work. I have been trying everything to fix this... one person
said i had to change the ip address but cant do that if i cant get on the
internet... i have bought two different devices to get the internet
connection and so far i think they are just not compatible with Vista. If
anyone can help please let me know!

"mango2012" wrote:

> Thank you for the concern
>
> After about 5 hours of freaking out I finally solved the problem.
> There was a command to merge both connections into one.
> I did it and voila )
>
> If anyone else has this problem, please send a reply here, so I can
> describe step-by-step how to solve the issue
>
> Cheers!
>

> --
> mango2012

mango2012

Re: Two wireless connections?

hi
I just hope you are having to connections at the same time.
cos then i will be able to help you.
otherwise.. i dunno honestly (I am not a pro) )

--
mango2012
Eric

Re: Two wireless connections?
Mango2012,

Can you please provide the details of how you merged the two, I am having a
similar issue
--
Thanks Eric

"mango2012" wrote:

> hi
> I just hope you are having to connections at the same time.
> cos then i will be able to help you.
> otherwise.. i dunno honestly (I am not a pro) )
>

> --
> mango2012

mango2012

Re: Two wireless connections?

Hi Eric,

I was just checking my mail and have seen that you have replied, having
the same issue.
Too bad I am not at home right now and my friends pc is running XP.
So this will not be very precise, but I will try my best to help. In
worst case, I will write you again from home (which will be tomorrow :P)

You need to get to the windows, where you can see both your online
connections (the window I mean is the one that can be accessed via the
connection icon on the lower right corner on your taskbar. I cannot
remember how it's called in Vista).
Once you have opened the window, you will see a button just above the
upper connection (right hand side). I cannot recall how the button was
called, but it indicated something like merging the connections.. If you
made it this far, I am sure, you can solve the rest. For me it was just
a matter of discovering that button..

Uff.. I know this was a weird explanation and I hope it helps. If it
does not, I'll write you tomorrow in detail.

Cheers

--
mango2012