Trouble with internet connecton

=?Utf-8?B?U3VzaWVR?=

Trouble with internet connecton
I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed. My internet
connection is DSL through a 2Wire gateway with one wireless and one usb
adapter. For some reason the internet connection comes up when I start up
the computer, the wireless adapter indicates its working, the device manager
says its working properly, but about 30 minutes or so it stops the internet
connection. I never had a problem like this with my XP or ME operating
systems. I'm ready to return the whole darn thing to the store and have a
system built where I don't have to have this operating system. Does anyone
have any suggestions?
=?Utf-8?B?cGF1bGJvY2E=?=

RE: Trouble with internet connecton
I have a similar problem. Just received my Dell laptop with built in
wireless card that according to Dell has a compatability issue with Vista.
They expect a new driver to solve the problem in about two weeks, but I
cannot wait that long as I need the laptop to go out of town next week.
Trying to find a solution before then. Cannot connect to internet with
wireless, even though the signal strength is Excellent.

Paul S

"SusieQ" wrote:

> I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed. My internet
> connection is DSL through a 2Wire gateway with one wireless and one usb
> adapter. For some reason the internet connection comes up when I start up
> the computer, the wireless adapter indicates its working, the device manager
> says its working properly, but about 30 minutes or so it stops the internet
> connection. I never had a problem like this with my XP or ME operating
> systems. I'm ready to return the whole darn thing to the store and have a
> system built where I don't have to have this operating system. Does anyone
> have any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?=

RE: Trouble with internet connecton
I bought a new PC with Vista and have exactly the same problem. I use the
2Wire HPNA USB phone line adapter and the SBC 2Wire 1800HG Gateway Router.
It will allow connectivity for sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes 2 hours.
When I reboot, the samething will happen again. I have disabled the firewall
on the PC, no help. I totally removed all virus software, no help. There is
nothing on the 2Wire site at all about Vista. When I called AT&T (formerly
SBC), they just said that they were not "encouraging" use of the HPNA
adapters anymore. When I pointed out that all their networks adapters in
their online store said "Not compatiable with Vista" in the copy, they just
said to try a wireless one since they have not gotten many complaints about
them. Just great! Would like to know if you have had any luck in fixing
this problem.

"SusieQ" wrote:

> I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed. My internet
> connection is DSL through a 2Wire gateway with one wireless and one usb
> adapter. For some reason the internet connection comes up when I start up
> the computer, the wireless adapter indicates its working, the device manager
> says its working properly, but about 30 minutes or so it stops the internet
> connection. I never had a problem like this with my XP or ME operating
> systems. I'm ready to return the whole darn thing to the store and have a
> system built where I don't have to have this operating system. Does anyone
> have any suggestions?

Karl Froelich [MS]

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
This could well be an issue with your router. Vista uses UPnP much more
heavily than XP ever did, and we've found that a lot of routers have
suboptimal UPnP implementations. Does this happen on both a wired
connection to the router AND a wireless connection?

Try running the router tool at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx, and see if it
passes the tests.

A possible solution worth trying is to turn of UPnP. This can be done on
the router (you would have to log onto the routers config page, find out
where it has the UPnP on/off switch, and turn it off) or from the machine
itself. You can also try disabling window scaling.

So, please try these out:

1. Go to the webtool, and when the test is finished, click on the "view
detailed report" link, and copy that data off & save it.
2. turn off UPnP, either on the router or on the vista machine:
from an elevated command prompt,type the following:
a. sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
b. net stop ssdpsrv <or> reboot the system
3. Try your test again. If it still fails after some perioed of time, turn
off Window Scaling:
From an elevated command prompt, type the following:
a. netsh in tcp set gl auto=di
<no reboot required>

If it STILL locks up on you, there's not much we can do. It would appear
the router is cooperating in some fashion.

K.

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new PC with Vista and have exactly the same problem. I use the
> 2Wire HPNA USB phone line adapter and the SBC 2Wire 1800HG Gateway Router.
> It will allow connectivity for sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes 2 hours.
> When I reboot, the samething will happen again. I have disabled the
> firewall
> on the PC, no help. I totally removed all virus software, no help. There
> is
> nothing on the 2Wire site at all about Vista. When I called AT&T
> (formerly
> SBC), they just said that they were not "encouraging" use of the HPNA
> adapters anymore. When I pointed out that all their networks adapters in
> their online store said "Not compatiable with Vista" in the copy, they
> just
> said to try a wireless one since they have not gotten many complaints
> about
> them. Just great! Would like to know if you have had any luck in fixing
> this problem.
>
> "SusieQ" wrote:
>
>> I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed. My internet
>> connection is DSL through a 2Wire gateway with one wireless and one usb
>> adapter. For some reason the internet connection comes up when I start
>> up
>> the computer, the wireless adapter indicates its working, the device
>> manager
>> says its working properly, but about 30 minutes or so it stops the
>> internet
>> connection. I never had a problem like this with my XP or ME operating
>> systems. I'm ready to return the whole darn thing to the store and have
>> system built where I don't have to have this operating system. Does
>> anyone
>> have any suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbm5ldHRl?=

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
I have the same problem ever since I bought windows vista for my Dell PC that
I bought last year. I did run the test Karl is suggesting and it passed
(Network Address Translator Type, and the Multiple Simultaneous Connection
States Test); but I'm still having the internet problem. I have Linksys
Wiresless G router and the PCI Adapter for the 2nd computer wich is the one
I'm having problems with. It is frustrating since I never had any problems
with my connections in the past.
I would really appreciate any suggestions,
Thank you
Jeannette

"Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:

> [...]
> > about
> > them. Just great! Would like to know if you have had any luck in fixing
> > this problem.
> >
> > "SusieQ" wrote:
> >
> >> I just bought a new computer with Windows Vista installed. My internet
> >> connection is DSL through a 2Wire gateway with one wireless and one usb
> >> adapter. For some reason the internet connection comes up when I start
> >> up
> >> the computer, the wireless adapter indicates its working, the device
> >> manager
> >> says its working properly, but about 30 minutes or so it stops the
> >> internet
> >> connection. I never had a problem like this with my XP or ME operating
> >> systems. I'm ready to return the whole darn thing to the store and have
> >> system built where I don't have to have this operating system. Does

Karl Froelich [MS]

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
While I know there is nothing more aggravating than being asked MORE
questions, I'm going to ask anyway. It DOES make a difference.

1. Jeannette, what kind of a router do you have? There are 7 different
hardware variants of the Linksys WRT54G. Look on the bottom of your router,
it should say something like "WRT54G v3". The v is the hardware version.
2. During the course of Vista development, we were (and continue to be) in
close contact with Linksys, Netgear and Dlink. They produced many firmware
upgrades to fix bugs that were found in the router. If you know how, log
onto your routers web page and find out the firmware version they are using.
3. Based on what you find in 1 and 2, go to www.linksys.com, and look for
your model and see if there is a firmware upgrade. If so, I would recommend
you install that.

Also, before you do any of the above, do steps 2 & 3 below and disable UPnP,
and see if that makes a difference.

"Jeannette" <Jeannette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > hours.
>> > When I reboot, the samething will happen again. I have disabled the
>> > firewall
>> > on the PC, no help. I totally removed all virus software, no help.
>> > There
>> > is
>> > nothing on the 2Wire site at all about Vista. When I called AT&T
>> > (formerly
>> > SBC), they just said that they were not "encouraging" use of the HPNA
>> > adapters anymore. When I pointed out that all their networks adapters
>> > in
>> > their online store said "Not compatiable with Vista" in the copy, they
>> > just
>> > said to try a wireless one since they have not gotten many complaints
>> > about
>> > them. Just great! Would like to know if you have had any luck in

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbm5ldHRl?=

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
My router is a v.2... I'm not sure what version is my PCI card but it may be
the same version...anyway, I will try your suggestion. But I have another
question...Vista is installed to the computer with the PCI card do I still
need to install also a new Linksys version for the computer with the router?
The computer with the router has Windows XP and the computer with the PCI
card has Windows Vista. The one with the XP has the internet working
perfectly in which I also have Vonage. I'm afraid to mess this second
computer too.
Thank you.
Jeannette

"Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> machine
> >> itself. You can also try disabling window scaling.
> >>
> >> So, please try these out:
> >>
> >> 1. Go to the webtool, and when the test is finished, click on the "view
> >> detailed report" link, and copy that data off & save it.
> >> 2. turn off UPnP, either on the router or on the vista machine:
> >> from an elevated command prompt,type the following:
> >> a. sc config SSDPSRV start= disabled
> >> b. net stop ssdpsrv <or> reboot the system
> >> 3. Try your test again. If it still fails after some perioed of time,
> >> turn
> >> off Window Scaling:
> >> From an elevated command prompt, type the following:
> >> a. netsh in tcp set gl auto=di
> >> <no reboot required>
> >>
> >> If it STILL locks up on you, there's not much we can do. It would appear
> >> the router is cooperating in some fashion.

Karl Froelich [MS]

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
Let me make sure I understand your topology:

1. You have an XP machine connected to a Linksys router with a cable.
2. You have a Vista machine, with a wireless PCI card, which connects to the
same router wirelessly?
3. What are the specific problems your vista machine is having?
a. If it "loses connectivity", does the XP machine lose connectivity at
the same time?

> My router is a v.2... I'm not sure what version is my PCI card but it may
> be
> the same version...anyway, I will try your suggestion. But I have another
> question...Vista is installed to the computer with the PCI card do I still
> need to install also a new Linksys version for the computer with the
> router?
> The computer with the router has Windows XP and the computer with the PCI
> card has Windows Vista. The one with the XP has the internet working
> perfectly in which I also have Vonage. I'm afraid to mess this second
> computer too.
> Thank you.
> Jeannette
>
> "Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:
>
>> While I know there is nothing more aggravating than being asked MORE
>> questions, I'm going to ask anyway. It DOES make a difference.
>>
>> 1. Jeannette, what kind of a router do you have? There are 7 different
>> hardware variants of the Linksys WRT54G. Look on the bottom of your
>> router,
>> it should say something like "WRT54G v3". The v is the hardware version.
>> 2. During the course of Vista development, we were (and continue to be)
>> in
>> close contact with Linksys, Netgear and Dlink. They produced many
>> firmware
>> upgrades to fix bugs that were found in the router. If you know how, log
>> onto your routers web page and find out the firmware version they are
>> using.
>> 3. Based on what you find in 1 and 2, go to www.linksys.com, and look for
>> your model and see if there is a firmware upgrade. If so, I would
>> recommend
>> you install that.
>>
>> Also, before you do any of the above, do steps 2 & 3 below and disable
>> UPnP,
>> and see if that makes a difference.
>>

>> "Jeannette" <Jeannette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have the same problem ever since I bought windows vista for my Dell PC
>> >that
>> > I bought last year. I did run the test Karl is suggesting and it passed
>> > (Network Address Translator Type, and the Multiple Simultaneous
>> > Connection
>> > States Test); but I'm still having the internet problem. I have Linksys
>> > Wiresless G router and the PCI Adapter for the 2nd computer wich is the
>> > one
>> > I'm having problems with. It is frustrating since I never had any
>> > problems
>> > with my connections in the past.
>> > I would really appreciate any suggestions,
>> > Thank you
>> > Jeannette

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbm5ldHRl?=

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
You are correct for #1 & #2, but for #3 the Vista machine with the
wireless... the internet itselft is not working, but the XP machine with the
router the internet is working perfectly. I went thru all the appropiate
steps with a representative from Windows Vista trying to connect the internet
and there was no solution. He suggested to contact Linksys and ask them if
the encryption/security Key was bloking me, but Linksys never responded back.
He also said to reset my wireless router, but I already did that and didn't
work. I even uninstalled the Linksys wireless program and took off PCI card
and did the installation from the very begining, and nothing worked. It's
frustrating that I can't use my machine were as before It was working
perfectly fine when it had the XP. To answer your last question I never got a
connection with my wireless vista machine; the one with the router never
stoped woking, that is why I'm kind of reluctant to install a newer hardware
version for the one with the router, but if I need to do it in order to make
the wireless machine to connect to the internet I'll do it. Please let me
know,
Thank you Jeannette

"Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:

> Let me make sure I understand your topology:
>
> 1. You have an XP machine connected to a Linksys router with a cable.
> 2. You have a Vista machine, with a wireless PCI card, which connects to the
> same router wirelessly?
> 3. What are the specific problems your vista machine is having?
> a. If it "loses connectivity", does the XP machine lose connectivity at
> the same time?
>

> "Jeannette" <Jeannette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My router is a v.2... I'm not sure what version is my PCI card but it may
> > be
> > the same version...anyway, I will try your suggestion. But I have another
> > question...Vista is installed to the computer with the PCI card do I still
> > need to install also a new Linksys version for the computer with the
> > router?
> > The computer with the router has Windows XP and the computer with the PCI
> > card has Windows Vista. The one with the XP has the internet working
> > perfectly in which I also have Vonage. I'm afraid to mess this second
> > computer too.
> > Thank you.
> > Jeannette
> >
> > "Karl Froelich [MS]" wrote:
> >
> >> While I know there is nothing more aggravating than being asked MORE
> >> questions, I'm going to ask anyway. It DOES make a difference.
> >>
> >> 1. Jeannette, what kind of a router do you have? There are 7 different
> >> hardware variants of the Linksys WRT54G. Look on the bottom of your
> >> router,
> >> it should say something like "WRT54G v3". The v is the hardware version.
> >> 2. During the course of Vista development, we were (and continue to be)
> >> in
> >> close contact with Linksys, Netgear and Dlink. They produced many
> >> firmware
> >> upgrades to fix bugs that were found in the router. If you know how, log
> >> onto your routers web page and find out the firmware version they are
> >> using.
> >> 3. Based on what you find in 1 and 2, go to www.linksys.com, and look for
> >> your model and see if there is a firmware upgrade. If so, I would
> >> recommend
> >> you install that.
> >>
> >> Also, before you do any of the above, do steps 2 & 3 below and disable
> >> UPnP,
> >> and see if that makes a difference.

=?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?=

Re: Trouble with internet connecton
Karl,

I only have Vista running on a wired (via HPNA 2.0) desktop PC. Of my two
other PCs, one is wired XP and the other is wireless XP, both are connecting
to my router without problems, as they always have.

I did run the tests on the Vista PC four times. It failed the TCP High
Performance test the first time, then passed it the next three times. It did
fail the UPnP test all four times with a "Not Supported". The detailed
report for UPnP test said that no Internet Gateway Devices were found. So I
did not disable the UPnP assuming there is none to disable. I did not go
onto the disabling windows scaling. What will disabling that do?

Thanks,

Frank