home network

SidBobb

home network
I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop running XP. I have been trying
for 2 months to get these to network together. I can not do it. I have tried
all different kind of settings and tried to set it up from all kind of help
sites. It just will not work. The two computers have a network but will only
show their own computer and not the other one.

I need to start all over and was hoping someone on here could walk me
through it.
Thank you
Mick Murphy

RE: home network

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"SidBobb" wrote:

> I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop running XP. I have been trying
> for 2 months to get these to network together. I can not do it. I have tried
> all different kind of settings and tried to set it up from all kind of help
> sites. It just will not work. The two computers have a network but will only
> show their own computer and not the other one.
>
> I need to start all over and was hoping someone on here could walk me
> through it.
> Thank you

Paul Knudsen

Re: home network
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:14:00 -0800, SidBobb
<SidBobb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop running XP. I have been trying
>for 2 months to get these to network together. I can not do it.

Get Network Magic.
Mick Murphy

Re: home network
If you still can't do it; what is the point of getting Network Magic?

And it does NOT solve the problem!

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Paul Knudsen" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 19:14:00 -0800, SidBobb
> <SidBobb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a laptop running Vista and a desktop running XP. I have been trying
> >for 2 months to get these to network together. I can not do it.

> Get Network Magic.

Garth H

RE: home network
I have gone through all the steps in the bb727037 referenced by Mick Murphy.
I can now access in Vista all the shared folders on the XP machine except for
the system folders. On the XP machine I can see the Vista shared folders but
when I try to open those on the hard drive I get the message

"No network provider accepted the given path."

No helpful information was found searching for this message

However, if on the Vista machine I share the CD/DVD drive, then I can read
data from that drive in XP!!!!

I am not using passwords.

This is a home network of a friend who for security reasons has no internet
access at all. period! His work schedule is such that I can only try things
for a few minutes every 3 weeks or so.
--
RGH