VIsta / XP connection problems

Widdenham

VIsta / XP connection problems
I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
can anyone offer any advice?

thanks
Mick Murphy

RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
Make sure the workgroup names are the same; and run the XP's Home Network
file and Printer sharing Wizard, so it can share with Vista.

If you are running Norton, etc, check permissions in their firewall.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Widdenham" wrote:

> I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> thanks

steve_block@bellsouth.net

RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
I had a very similar problem, but my "environment" is somewhat different. I
am running VISTA Home premium (desktop) and a laptop with Windows XP Home.
The laptop is connected via a wireless network. I have TrendMicro Internet
Security running on both.

I could not share files or printers until I disabled the WINDOWS firewall on
BOTH systems (via Control Panel / Security Center). I still have the
TrendMIcro firewall running on both. Since disabling the Windows firewall on
both systems, both file and printer sharing functions are working.

"Widdenham" wrote:

> I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: VIsta / XP connection problems
Have a read of this,
Steve.

You should not have had 2 firewalls going at the same time.

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"steve_block@bellsouth.net" wrote:

> I had a very similar problem, but my "environment" is somewhat different. I
> am running VISTA Home premium (desktop) and a laptop with Windows XP Home.
> The laptop is connected via a wireless network. I have TrendMicro Internet
> Security running on both.
>
> I could not share files or printers until I disabled the WINDOWS firewall on
> BOTH systems (via Control Panel / Security Center). I still have the
> TrendMIcro firewall running on both. Since disabling the Windows firewall on
> both systems, both file and printer sharing functions are working.
>

> "Widdenham" wrote:
>
> > I have two machines , 1 xp and a new vista.
> > On the XP machine I can find folders and printers on the vista one but
> > though the xp machine appears on the Vista network map it does not appear in
> > the network folders nor can I connect to its printers.
> > I have installed SSLD protocol on the XP machine.
> > can anyone offer any advice?
> >
> > thanks

PC Medic

Re: VIsta / XP connection problems
Been over all that before ever reading that page.
none of the suggestions there are of any help