No Wireless Internet Connection

Chad Cameron

No Wireless Internet Connection
Hi All,

I see tons of problems in this NG but they all seem to be Norton related.
So, I am a little different.

I just installed a Linksys WRT300N router. I have a wired XP desktop
computer and a wireless Vista Laptop. I set it up last night and everything
worked. I turned off the 2 computers and this morning I don't have internet
on the laptop.

I can ping both computers from each other and the XP desktop connects with
no problems. Vista has an 'X' between the router and the internet on the
network settings page. When I diagonse the problem, it says that there is a
problem, but Vista cannot fix it.

It says Local Only, IPv6 is limited.

I have unplugged everything. Turned on the modem, then router, then
computers. I have reset the adapters. There are no other routers in the
area.

Any ideas?

It worked before I turned it off.

Chad

Chad Cameron

Re: No Wireless Internet Connection
Update:

For some reason, Windows Update seemed to work, just cannot connect to the
internet. I am unable to see if email would work because my email is web
based (hotmail). Live Desktop doesn't work.

Chad

"Chad Cameron" <NOTchad483@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I see tons of problems in this NG but they all seem to be Norton related.
> So, I am a little different.
>
> I just installed a Linksys WRT300N router. I have a wired XP desktop
> computer and a wireless Vista Laptop. I set it up last night and
> everything worked. I turned off the 2 computers and this morning I don't
> have internet on the laptop.
>
> I can ping both computers from each other and the XP desktop connects with
> no problems. Vista has an 'X' between the router and the internet on the
> network settings page. When I diagonse the problem, it says that there is
> a problem, but Vista cannot fix it.
>
> It says Local Only, IPv6 is limited.
>
> I have unplugged everything. Turned on the modem, then router, then
> computers. I have reset the adapters. There are no other routers in the
> area.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> It worked before I turned it off.
>
> Chad

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: No Wireless Internet Connection
You may want to disable IPv6 first. Or these search result may help.

Vista How toHow to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to Disconnect Vista VPN connection
· How to disable ICS public connection ... How to disable Vista firewall
using Group Policy ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Limited connectivity
Vista: Local only - no Internet issues Vista - Local Connection Only Vista
Wireless Limited or No Connectivity ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

> Update:
>
> For some reason, Windows Update seemed to work, just cannot connect to the
> internet. I am unable to see if email would work because my email is web
> based (hotmail). Live Desktop doesn't work.
>
> Chad
>

> "Chad Cameron" <NOTchad483@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I see tons of problems in this NG but they all seem to be Norton related.
>> So, I am a little different.
>>
>> I just installed a Linksys WRT300N router. I have a wired XP desktop
>> computer and a wireless Vista Laptop. I set it up last night and
>> everything worked. I turned off the 2 computers and this morning I don't
>> have internet on the laptop.
>>
>> I can ping both computers from each other and the XP desktop connects
>> with no problems. Vista has an 'X' between the router and the internet
>> on the network settings page. When I diagonse the problem, it says that
>> there is a problem, but Vista cannot fix it.
>>
>> It says Local Only, IPv6 is limited.
>>
>> I have unplugged everything. Turned on the modem, then router, then
>> computers. I have reset the adapters. There are no other routers in the
>> area.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> It worked before I turned it off.
>>
>> Chad

Chad Cameron

Re: No Wireless Internet Connection
I tried everything.

I talked to Linksys and what fixed it, was I had to change my settings to
static instead of dynamic.

Thanks