Using Vista Home to network print off of WS2003 and Xp Pro domain

Hitch

Using Vista Home to network print off of WS2003 and Xp Pro domain
Ok, we have a person in our office that recently got a laptop with Windows
Vista Home Premium. The office is running a domain on Windows Server 2003
and everyone is using XP Pro.

Obviously, Vista cannot connect to the domain, but it would be helpful for
him to have a connection to our network printers. With my laptop (XP Pro), I
turned off the domain and instead switched to a Workgroup, where I can still
see the server and add a printer, whereas if I join the same workgroup on
Vista, all I see is our network's 3 routers and the local computer.

Tried both wireless and wired, and through my laptop connection I can also
see the other computer running Vista, so I know he is on our local network.

I have done almost no work with Vista, so any help would be appreciated.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Using Vista Home to network print off of WS2003 and Xp Pro domain
Have you created the same domain username in the Vista Home? Or this search
result may help.

workgroup networking faqsHow can I share files between workgroup computer
and domain/workgroup computer ... 3) Create the same username and password
on both workgroup and domain so ...
www.howtonetworking.com/workgroupnet.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Hitch" <Hitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, we have a person in our office that recently got a laptop with Windows
> Vista Home Premium. The office is running a domain on Windows Server 2003
> and everyone is using XP Pro.
>
> Obviously, Vista cannot connect to the domain, but it would be helpful for
> him to have a connection to our network printers. With my laptop (XP
> Pro), I
> turned off the domain and instead switched to a Workgroup, where I can
> still
> see the server and add a printer, whereas if I join the same workgroup on
> Vista, all I see is our network's 3 routers and the local computer.
>
> Tried both wireless and wired, and through my laptop connection I can also
> see the other computer running Vista, so I know he is on our local
> network.
>
> I have done almost no work with Vista, so any help would be appreciated.

Mick Murphy

RE: Using Vista Home to network print off of WS2003 and Xp Pro domain
This works for Basic Networking between XP and vista at home or small
business; NO domain.

Keep the link, it will come in handy for you!

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Hitch" wrote:

> Ok, we have a person in our office that recently got a laptop with Windows
> Vista Home Premium. The office is running a domain on Windows Server 2003
> and everyone is using XP Pro.
>
> Obviously, Vista cannot connect to the domain, but it would be helpful for
> him to have a connection to our network printers. With my laptop (XP Pro), I
> turned off the domain and instead switched to a Workgroup, where I can still
> see the server and add a printer, whereas if I join the same workgroup on
> Vista, all I see is our network's 3 routers and the local computer.
>
> Tried both wireless and wired, and through my laptop connection I can also
> see the other computer running Vista, so I know he is on our local network.
>
> I have done almost no work with Vista, so any help would be appreciated.

Hitch

RE: Using Vista Home to network print off of WS2003 and Xp Pro dom
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I tried everything and ended up at Windows
firewall, which was turned off, led me to believe he had another firewall
protection program. Did some searching, and realized that the guy had
installed Norton, got into it, problem solved.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> This works for Basic Networking between XP and vista at home or small
> business; NO domain.
>
> Keep the link, it will come in handy for you!

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Hitch" wrote:
>
> > Ok, we have a person in our office that recently got a laptop with Windows
> > Vista Home Premium. The office is running a domain on Windows Server 2003
> > and everyone is using XP Pro.
> >
> > Obviously, Vista cannot connect to the domain, but it would be helpful for
> > him to have a connection to our network printers. With my laptop (XP Pro), I
> > turned off the domain and instead switched to a Workgroup, where I can still
> > see the server and add a printer, whereas if I join the same workgroup on
> > Vista, all I see is our network's 3 routers and the local computer.
> >
> > Tried both wireless and wired, and through my laptop connection I can also
> > see the other computer running Vista, so I know he is on our local network.
> >
> > I have done almost no work with Vista, so any help would be appreciated.

oogie