I've searched thru here and other forums, tried a number of things, but still can't connect to my own router. The posts here are not exactly what I'm getting or the solution given doesn't work. Can you tell me what to try before I go crazy over this? Here's the info:
4 pc's on home network, all XP except the problem one (vista)
2 wireless, 1 ethernet, want to connect problem pc wirelessly.
Router: Dlink DIR 625.
The 3 XP PC's are working fine. When I first got the Vista PC, I had the same trouble; not sure what I did to get it to see the router (I thought it was that I used a static address, but that's not working this time.) I think it started not connecting after I installed a wireless print server (which is working fine with the other PC's).
I CAN connect to my neighbor's wireless router (at least until it disappeared from my list this morning). I CAN connect to my router via Ethernet.
Use static addressing (so that I can block my son's gaming pc from the others on the network). Verified IP addresses on server -- Vista PC address is there as a reserved address.
I have done the following things:
1. Verified in network connections the TCP/IP vsn 4 settings, match the router settings.
2. Rebooted router.
3. Did a netsh wlan ssid=DLMnet add filter networktype=infrastructure (and it was successful)
4. Ping - Can ping the loopback. ***Error 1232 when pinging router.*** Can ping router and other pc's (not this one) successfully from the other pc's. I'd email you the ipconfig /all but my neighbor's signal (thank goodness not everyone secures their network)
is too weak this a.m. Says under the wireless card:
****Media state: Media disconnected****
5. Have uninstalled and reinstalled wireless adapter (and then reset the static IP address, of course, and tried everything again).
6. Verified that workgroup is correct.
7. Verified on router that it is broadcasting visibly.
8. Getting signals from both my own network (Signal strength "excellent") and 3 others (but those are secured, I can't jump on them)
9. Using WEP encryption and have verified this several times that I have the code keyed in correctly on the PC (working fine on the other PC's).
10. I get same response when I use dynamic IP addressing.
11. I designate a channel on the router. All I could find to give a channel on the PC is the "ad-hoc mode settings" so I set it there too, for what that's worth.
This is such a big mystery...I'm dying to get it working, not only so I can have my secure network back, but also because I'm so flummoxed as to what else to try! Dlink website of course is useless. (Love their equipment, hate their website!!!!)
THANK YOU so much.
Bonnie in PA