Unauthenticated Network?

BobP

Unauthenticated Network?
Hi-

On some of the workstations on my SBS2003 network the Network and
Sharing Center is showing the network connection as "Unauthenticated"
and showing a yellow triangle icon.

It doesn't seem to have any impact on performance that I can see, but
looks messy.

What does Unauthenticated in this context mean, and why do some
stations show it and not others? How do I get rid of it?
BobP

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
Problem Solved!

Solution was to unjoin the workstation from the domain, reset the
secure channel, then rejoining the workstation back to the domain

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:46:20 -0500, BobP <rpalnik@metfabtech.com>
wrote:

>Hi-
>
>On some of the workstations on my SBS2003 network the Network and
>Sharing Center is showing the network connection as "Unauthenticated"
>and showing a yellow triangle icon.
>
>It doesn't seem to have any impact on performance that I can see, but
>looks messy.
>
>What does Unauthenticated in this context mean, and why do some
>stations show it and not others? How do I get rid of it?

Alex Zamfir

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
I have the same problem but the solution that worked for you Bob didn't for
me. Any other suggestions guys? And there is loss of functionality. The
firewall profile detected is not "domain" but "public" and the group policy
firewall settings are not in effect. That means I cannot connect to the
workstation via remote desktop and other such issues.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Alex.

"BobP" wrote:

> Problem Solved!
>
> Solution was to unjoin the workstation from the domain, reset the
> secure channel, then rejoining the workstation back to the domain
>

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:46:20 -0500, BobP <rpalnik@metfabtech.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi-
> >
> >On some of the workstations on my SBS2003 network the Network and
> >Sharing Center is showing the network connection as "Unauthenticated"
> >and showing a yellow triangle icon.
> >
> >It doesn't seem to have any impact on performance that I can see, but
> >looks messy.
> >
> >What does Unauthenticated in this context mean, and why do some
> >stations show it and not others? How do I get rid of it?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
We have seen many cases like this one. Try this:

1. Remove the Vista from the domain.
2. Install MS update KB926505. or check this post.

Solved: Vista can't join the SBS ...Also. when trying to join SBS 2003 using
client deployment tools, you may receive this message: The Small Business
Server Networking Wizard was not ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=264

3. Rejoin the domain.

Please post back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Alex Zamfir" <Alex Zamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news8783D24-6F9B-4FE8-96C8-67D245810B4A@microsoft.com...
>I have the same problem but the solution that worked for you Bob didn't for
> me. Any other suggestions guys? And there is loss of functionality. The
> firewall profile detected is not "domain" but "public" and the group
> policy
> firewall settings are not in effect. That means I cannot connect to the
> workstation via remote desktop and other such issues.
>
> Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alex.
>

> "BobP" wrote:
>
>> Problem Solved!
>>
>> Solution was to unjoin the workstation from the domain, reset the
>> secure channel, then rejoining the workstation back to the domain
>>

>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 07:46:20 -0500, BobP <rpalnik@metfabtech.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi-
>> >
>> >On some of the workstations on my SBS2003 network the Network and
>> >Sharing Center is showing the network connection as "Unauthenticated"
>> >and showing a yellow triangle icon.
>> >
>> >It doesn't seem to have any impact on performance that I can see, but
>> >looks messy.
>> >
>> >What does Unauthenticated in this context mean, and why do some
>> >stations show it and not others? How do I get rid of it?

Alex Zamfir

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
Thanks very much for the reply Robert. I did all that you suggested and now
when trying to use the client deployment tools I get the following error:

"Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that is connected to
the Small Business Server"

The clients are connected via wireless to the server and there is only one
connection active (the wireless one).

Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> We have seen many cases like this one. Try this:
>
> 1. Remove the Vista from the domain.
> 2. Install MS update KB926505. or check this post.
>
> Solved: Vista can't join the SBS ...Also. when trying to join SBS 2003 using
> client deployment tools, you may receive this message: The Small Business
> Server Networking Wizard was not ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=264
>
> 3. Rejoin the domain.
>
> Please post back with the result.
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Alex Zamfir" <Alex Zamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news8783D24-6F9B-4FE8-96C8-67D245810B4A@microsoft.com...
> >I have the same problem but the solution that worked for you Bob didn't for
> > me. Any other suggestions guys? And there is loss of functionality. The
> > firewall profile detected is not "domain" but "public" and the group
> > policy
> > firewall settings are not in effect. That means I cannot connect to the
> > workstation via remote desktop and other such issues.
> >
> > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Alex.
> >

> > "BobP" wrote:
> >
> >> Problem Solved!
> >>
> >> Solution was to unjoin the workstation from the domain, reset the
> >> secure channel, then rejoining the workstation back to the domain

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
Try to disable IPv6 if you haven't done so. Or check this post. Please post
back with the result.

Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3583

--
> Thanks very much for the reply Robert. I did all that you suggested and
> now
> when trying to use the client deployment tools I get the following error:
>
> "Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that is connected
> the Small Business Server"
>
> The clients are connected via wireless to the server and there is only one
> connection active (the wireless one).
>
> Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> We have seen many cases like this one. Try this:
>>
>> 1. Remove the Vista from the domain.
>> 2. Install MS update KB926505. or check this post.
>>
>> Solved: Vista can't join the SBS ...Also. when trying to join SBS 2003
>> using
>> client deployment tools, you may receive this message: The Small Business
>> Server Networking Wizard was not ...
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=264
>>
>> 3. Rejoin the domain.
>>
>> Please post back with the result.
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Alex Zamfir" <Alex Zamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news8783D24-6F9B-4FE8-96C8-67D245810B4A@microsoft.com...
>> >I have the same problem but the solution that worked for you Bob didn't
>> >for
>> > me. Any other suggestions guys? And there is loss of functionality. The
>> > firewall profile detected is not "domain" but "public" and the group
>> > policy
>> > firewall settings are not in effect. That means I cannot connect to the
>> > workstation via remote desktop and other such issues.
>> >
>> > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Alex.

Alex Zamfir

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
Thanks again for the reply Robert.

IPv6 is disabled. Same error. The chicagotech post didn't help either. Any
other ideeas? Thanks a lot in advance.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Try to disable IPv6 if you haven't done so. Or check this post. Please post
> back with the result.
>
> Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3583
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Alex Zamfir" <AlexZamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks very much for the reply Robert. I did all that you suggested and
> > now
> > when trying to use the client deployment tools I get the following error:
> >
> > "Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that is connected
> > the Small Business Server"
> >
> > The clients are connected via wireless to the server and there is only one
> > connection active (the wireless one).
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> We have seen many cases like this one. Try this:
> >>
> >> 1. Remove the Vista from the domain.
> >> 2. Install MS update KB926505. or check this post.
> >>
> >> Solved: Vista can't join the SBS ...Also. when trying to join SBS 2003
> >> using
> >> client deployment tools, you may receive this message: The Small Business
> >> Server Networking Wizard was not ...
> >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=264
> >>
> >> 3. Rejoin the domain.
> >>
> >> Please post back with the result.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >> "Alex Zamfir" <Alex Zamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news8783D24-6F9B-4FE8-96C8-67D245810B4A@microsoft.com...

Schyler Jones

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
Same error here with a new Dell Vostro 1700 running Vista. Trying to run
Connectcomputer. IP6 disabled, wired LAN connection and Bluetooth connection
disabled. DNS is the SBS server. IPCONFIG still shows a couple of odd
connection entries I have not seen before:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11

Just setup a Vostro 1400 last week for another SBS customer w/o hitch. What
gives Microsoft?

"Alex Zamfir" wrote:

> Thanks again for the reply Robert.
>
> IPv6 is disabled. Same error. The chicagotech post didn't help either. Any
> other ideeas? Thanks a lot in advance.
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Try to disable IPv6 if you haven't done so. Or check this post. Please post
> > back with the result.
> >
> > Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled
> > http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3583
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Alex Zamfir" <AlexZamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks very much for the reply Robert. I did all that you suggested and
> > > now
> > > when trying to use the client deployment tools I get the following error:
> > >
> > > "Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that is connected
> > > the Small Business Server"
> > >
> > > The clients are connected via wireless to the server and there is only one
> > > connection active (the wireless one).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.

Schyler Jones

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
I figured out that you need to run the ConnectComputer wizard on the Wired
Connection. Disable all others and it will run. Would be nice if the error
message would tell you this so I am not spending 1/2 hour of the client's
time troubleshooting.

"Alex Zamfir" wrote:

> Thanks again for the reply Robert.
>
> IPv6 is disabled. Same error. The chicagotech post didn't help either. Any
> other ideeas? Thanks a lot in advance.
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Try to disable IPv6 if you haven't done so. Or check this post. Please post
> > back with the result.
> >
> > Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled
> > http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=3583
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Alex Zamfir" <AlexZamfir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks very much for the reply Robert. I did all that you suggested and
> > > now
> > > when trying to use the client deployment tools I get the following error:
> > >
> > > "Make sure that only one network adapter is enabled and that is connected
> > > the Small Business Server"
> > >
> > > The clients are connected via wireless to the server and there is only one
> > > connection active (the wireless one).
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any new suggestions.

Colm

Re: Unauthenticated Network?
I too am getting this, at the moment on both my laptop (New Dell with Vista
Business) and my desktop, joined to a standard Windows Server R2 domain.
Yellow warning triangle with exclamation mark, network connection showing as
unauthenticated.
It's interfering with my offline files on the laptop. Both machines fully
patched and running SP1, though it was happening before this.

Anyone any ideas? This 'unauthenticated network' thing seems do be
completely undocumented by MS, I can't find anything on it.

-Colm