How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?

noctcrawler

How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?
When I check the status of my network adapter, it says that DHCP is not
enabled. How do I enable it in Windows Vista Ultimate? I'm trying to enable
it for ICS to/with a windows XP Pro computer. The other computer (XP) is not
auto configuring itself with the right type of network settings. (IP, Subnet
mask, & Gateway) For instance: it will configure itself to use 169.254.37.72,
255.255.0.0 instead of 192.168.0.(2-255), 255.255.255.0, and Default Gateway
of 192.168.0.1.

Malke

Re: How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?
noctcrawler wrote:

> When I check the status of my network adapter, it says that DHCP is not
> enabled. How do I enable it in Windows Vista Ultimate? I'm trying to
> enable it for ICS to/with a windows XP Pro computer. The other computer
> (XP) is not auto configuring itself with the right type of network
> settings. (IP, Subnet mask, & Gateway) For instance: it will configure
> itself to use 169.254.37.72, 255.255.0.0 instead of 192.168.0.(2-255),
> 255.255.255.0, and Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1.

If you are really using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), you can not use
DHCP which is why it is greyed out. You need to set static IP addresses for
all machines.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
noctcrawler

Re: How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?
Ok, so if I can't use DHCP with ICS, how do I add a DHCP server to my OS if I
disable ICS? And would this then enable a shared internet connection without
using Windows ICS? ICS sucks!!! If the other computer can't get internet with
ICS enabled, then it's useless!! How do I implement ICS without ICS?

"Malke" wrote:

> noctcrawler wrote:
>
> > When I check the status of my network adapter, it says that DHCP is not
> > enabled. How do I enable it in Windows Vista Ultimate? I'm trying to
> > enable it for ICS to/with a windows XP Pro computer. The other computer
> > (XP) is not auto configuring itself with the right type of network
> > settings. (IP, Subnet mask, & Gateway) For instance: it will configure
> > itself to use 169.254.37.72, 255.255.0.0 instead of 192.168.0.(2-255),
> > 255.255.255.0, and Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1.

> If you are really using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), you can not use
> DHCP which is why it is greyed out. You need to set static IP addresses for
> all machines.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Dave

Re: How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?
Buy a router. They have a DHCP server built in.

Internet -> Router -> PC's

http://www.pcmech.com/article/router-basics/

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"noctcrawler" <noctcrawler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so if I can't use DHCP with ICS, how do I add a DHCP server to my OS
> if I
> disable ICS? And would this then enable a shared internet connection
> without
> using Windows ICS? ICS sucks!!! If the other computer can't get internet
> with
> ICS enabled, then it's useless!! How do I implement ICS without ICS?
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> noctcrawler wrote:
>>
>> > When I check the status of my network adapter, it says that DHCP is not
>> > enabled. How do I enable it in Windows Vista Ultimate? I'm trying to
>> > enable it for ICS to/with a windows XP Pro computer. The other computer
>> > (XP) is not auto configuring itself with the right type of network
>> > settings. (IP, Subnet mask, & Gateway) For instance: it will configure
>> > itself to use 169.254.37.72, 255.255.0.0 instead of 192.168.0.(2-255),
>> > 255.255.255.0, and Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1.

>> If you are really using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), you can not
>> use
>> DHCP which is why it is greyed out. You need to set static IP addresses
>> for
>> all machines.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS-MVP
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> Don't Panic!

RalfG

Re: How do I enable DHCP on my network adapter?
How are you connecting to the internet and LAN? It's been a while since I
used ICS but as I recall it provides the DHCP server and NAT for the
connected client PCs. First off you need a cross-over cable for the
server-client PC ethernet connection. The ICS server adapter's address MUST
be 192.168.0.1. If any other devices are using that address you'll have to
change them to something else (in the same range) or ICS can't work. Almost
none of the FREE software firewalls are compatible with ICS so stick with
the Windows firewall on the ICS server computer.

If you're using a broadband internet connection you'll need 2 ethernet or
WLAN connections in the ICS server, or some combination of each, with one of
the connections being designated the ICS connection. The ICS connection only
connects to client computers and provides their LAN addresses through DHCP.
The second ethernet/wlan connection in the ICS server computer only connects
to the broadband modem and gets its own configuration settings from the ISP
or the broadband modem.

My memory of ICS from WinME and XP is that it worked quite well but
depending on how your PCs are typically used it might be preferable to
install a router instead of using ICS. With discounts inexpensive routers
often don't cost much more than a second ethernet card or WLAN adapter
would.