Can't get to an one XP machine from Vista

Karen

Can't get to an one XP machine from Vista
I have 6 machines (1 Vista, 1 Windows Home Server, 4 WinXP) on my Windows
Network. For some reason, the Vista machine doesn't see one of my XP
machines. I can access the public folders on the Vista machine from all of
my machines and I can access the Shared folders on the problem XP machine
from all the other machines; it's just the Vista machine that doesn't see
the XP machine.

How do I troubleshoot this? I can't figure out how to even see my network
from the Vista machine; it just shows me the machines it wants to display.

For the record, I have the guest account enabled on all machines. It's
always worked and that's what I want to continue to use.

Dan S.

Re: Can't get to an one XP machine from Vista
on 2/21/2008, Karen supposed :
> I have 6 machines (1 Vista, 1 Windows Home Server, 4 WinXP) on my Windows
> Network. For some reason, the Vista machine doesn't see one of my XP
> machines. I can access the public folders on the Vista machine from all of
> my machines and I can access the Shared folders on the problem XP machine
> from all the other machines; it's just the Vista machine that doesn't see the
> XP machine.
>
> How do I troubleshoot this? I can't figure out how to even see my network
> from the Vista machine; it just shows me the machines it wants to display.
>
> For the record, I have the guest account enabled on all machines. It's
> always worked and that's what I want to continue to use.

Here's the answer to the same issue I had last week. I'm not sure if
it's what you're looking for.

Karen

Re: Can't get to an one XP machine from Vista
My understanding is that the transponder is not involved in actually
connecting to/sharing with other machines; its only function is to put
things on the network map.

From what I can tell, none of the other machines have the transponder
installed and they are all visible to the Vista Machine. In fact, the
problem machine was also visible at one point but it has not been for about
2 weeks.. I don't understand what I have to do to get the Vista machine to
just display the shared resources in the workgroup.

"Dan S." <danUNDERscoreGOEShereSLAUGHTER@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> on 2/21/2008, Karen supposed :
>> I have 6 machines (1 Vista, 1 Windows Home Server, 4 WinXP) on my Windows
>> Network. For some reason, the Vista machine doesn't see one of my XP
>> machines. I can access the public folders on the Vista machine from all
>> of my machines and I can access the Shared folders on the problem XP
>> machine from all the other machines; it's just the Vista machine that
>> doesn't see the XP machine.
>>
>> How do I troubleshoot this? I can't figure out how to even see my
>> network from the Vista machine; it just shows me the machines it wants to
>> display.
>>
>> For the record, I have the guest account enabled on all machines. It's
>> always worked and that's what I want to continue to use.

> Here's the answer to the same issue I had last week. I'm not sure if it's
> what you're looking for.
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Karen

Re: Can't get to an one XP machine from Vista
I decided to try to add the SharedDocs folder on the invisible machine to
"My Computer" on the Vista Machine and ...lo and behold, I can access to the
folders without any problem. They still don't appear in the Network tree of
the common file dialogs though -- Why not?