Can't remote into Vista Ultimate machines

eappell@gmail.com

Can't remote into Vista Ultimate machines
I have a desktop machine that has had Windows XP on it for a few
years. I've set up remote desktop on it so I can remote in from work
and that's worked fine for a long time.

About 6 months ago I built a home theater PC and installed VIsta
Ultimate on it. I can't remote into that machine from my desktop
machine, which is on the same network. In fact, I have several drives
shared on that machine and I can easily read and write to them from my
desktop without any problems at all, I just can't remote into it. My
setup is, I have a wired network which goes into a switch. A wireless
router is connected to the switch, and a dsl modem is connected to the
wireless router. The HTPC is connected to a Buffalo router which is
just acting as a switch so I can connect several devices to it from
that location. I have forwarded the ports for remote desktop in the
main router. I have checked the settings for Remote Desktop MANY
times on the Vista machine and it's definitely set correctly. I DO
NOT have the Windows Firewall running on the Vista machine, and there
are no other firewalls installed on that machine. That's my first
problem...

So a few weeks ago the boot drive on my desktop machine died. I
decided it was time to install Vista Ultimate on that machine, so I
did, and now I can't remote into that machine from work any more.
Again, I've checked and re-checked the Remote settings, and made sure
the firewall is disabled on the machine, but I cannot get into the
machine any more from work. One strange thing though - I can remote
into the desktop from the HTPC. SO I think I've actually got two
different issues here:

1. The HTPC is not accessible from any machine remotely
2. The desktop machine is not accessible remotely from outside the
network

I should also say that I use the DynDNS windows service to update my
IP and resolve it to a domain, which I've used for years.

Any idea what I could be missing here?

Thanks for the help!

Eddie
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't remote into Vista Ultimate machines
Do a simple test. Can you telnet port 3389?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

<eappell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a desktop machine that has had Windows XP on it for a few
> years. I've set up remote desktop on it so I can remote in from work
> and that's worked fine for a long time.
>
> About 6 months ago I built a home theater PC and installed VIsta
> Ultimate on it. I can't remote into that machine from my desktop
> machine, which is on the same network. In fact, I have several drives
> shared on that machine and I can easily read and write to them from my
> desktop without any problems at all, I just can't remote into it. My
> setup is, I have a wired network which goes into a switch. A wireless
> router is connected to the switch, and a dsl modem is connected to the
> wireless router. The HTPC is connected to a Buffalo router which is
> just acting as a switch so I can connect several devices to it from
> that location. I have forwarded the ports for remote desktop in the
> main router. I have checked the settings for Remote Desktop MANY
> times on the Vista machine and it's definitely set correctly. I DO
> NOT have the Windows Firewall running on the Vista machine, and there
> are no other firewalls installed on that machine. That's my first
> problem...
>
> So a few weeks ago the boot drive on my desktop machine died. I
> decided it was time to install Vista Ultimate on that machine, so I
> did, and now I can't remote into that machine from work any more.
> Again, I've checked and re-checked the Remote settings, and made sure
> the firewall is disabled on the machine, but I cannot get into the
> machine any more from work. One strange thing though - I can remote
> into the desktop from the HTPC. SO I think I've actually got two
> different issues here:
>
> 1. The HTPC is not accessible from any machine remotely
> 2. The desktop machine is not accessible remotely from outside the
> network
>
> I should also say that I use the DynDNS windows service to update my
> IP and resolve it to a domain, which I've used for years.
>
> Any idea what I could be missing here?
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Eddie

eappell@gmail.com

Re: Can't remote into Vista Ultimate machines
Do you mean from outside the network? No, I can't telnet in on any
port I've tried. If you mean can I telnet in from another PC on the
same network, I'll have to try that tonight when I get home from
work.

Last night I found that no matter what I did, my network is not
accessible from outside - I went to network-tools.com, used their
ping, and all I get is "Timed Out". I tried using the IP that DynDNS
reports is my IP, and I also tried the host name that DynDNS assigned
to me. Same result with both. So I'm wondering if maybe the DynDNS
service isn't getting out. Maybe my IP has changed, but it can't
update the service? Not sure if it uses a special port though, and
haven't been able to find out if it does...

The only way I can remote into the desktop from the htpc is to use the
network name of the desktop. Works flawlessly. So the problem
definitely isn't a remote desktop issue...

Any other ideas I can try? I'll try the telnet from my htpc tonight.

Thanks again for the help,

Eddie

On Feb 21, 5:28*pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
<blinNoEmailple...@mvps.org> wrote:
> Do a simple test. Can you telnet port 3389?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
> <eapp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a desktop machine that has had Windows XP on it for a few
> > years. *I've set up remote desktop on it so I can remote in from work
> > and that's worked fine for a long time.

> > About 6 months ago I built a home theater PC and installed VIsta
> > Ultimate on it. *I can't remote into that machine from my desktop
> > machine, which is on the same network. *In fact, I have several drives
> > shared on that machine and I can easily read and write to them from my
> > desktop without any problems at all, I just can't remote into it. *My
> > setup is, I have a wired network which goes into a switch. *A wireless
> > router is connected to the switch, and a dsl modem is connected to the
> > wireless router. *The HTPC is connected to a Buffalo router which is
> > just acting as a switch so I can connect several devices to it from
> > that location. *I have forwarded the ports for remote desktop in the
> > main router. *I have checked the settings for Remote Desktop MANY
> > times on the Vista machine and it's definitely set correctly. *I DO
> > NOT have the Windows Firewall running on the Vista machine, and there
> > are no other firewalls installed on that machine. *That's my first
> > problem...

> > So a few weeks ago the boot drive on my desktop machine died. *I
> > decided it was time to install Vista Ultimate on that machine, so I
> > did, and now I can't remote into that machine from work any more.
> > Again, I've checked and re-checked the Remote settings, and made sure
> > the firewall is disabled on the machine, but I cannot get into the
> > machine any more from work. *One strange thing though - I can remote
> > into the desktop from the HTPC. *SO I think I've actually got two
> > different issues here:

> > 1. The HTPC is not accessible from any machine remotely
> > 2. The desktop machine is not accessible remotely from outside the
> > network

> > I should also say that I use the DynDNS windows service to update my
> > IP and resolve it to a domain, which I've used for years.

> > Any idea what I could be missing here?

> > Thanks for the help!

> > Eddie- Hide quoted text -

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't remote into Vista Ultimate machines
If you can't telnet port 3389 from the Internet, you need to work on the
router. Or these search result may help.

remote desktopTo use Remote Desktop, you need a WinXP Pro as the host and a
remote computer running Win9x or a more recent version of Windows as the
client that must have ...
www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

Troubleshooting terminal server issuesTo modify the limit, go to
MMC>Terminal Services Configuration>Connections, double-click a connection,
i.e. RDP-TC, then select the Network Adapter tab. ...
www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingts.htm