Sharing grayed out

Lawton

Sharing grayed out
Private network. In network and sharing center I have network discovery, file
sharing, print sharing, public sharing and printer sharing all turned on.
When I try to share a disk the sharing option is grayed out same with the
printer. What am I overlooking?
dmex

Re: Sharing grayed out

you cant share the root drive because its shared by default...In the
address bar type \\compnamehere\C$ to access the root drive just chnage
the c to what hard-drive ou want to access, printers are shared by
default aswell same procedure \\compnamehere\\printers$

--
dmex
dmex

Re: Sharing grayed out

correction for printers \\compnamehere\\printers without the $ but for
hard drives you still need the $ \\compname\\c$ or \\compname\d$

--
dmex
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Sharing grayed out
Hi
For security reason sharing of whole Drive is blocked.
You can share public folders, or create new folders, and establish for them
your own rules.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Lawton" <Lawton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Private network. In network and sharing center I have network discovery,
> file
> sharing, print sharing, public sharing and printer sharing all turned on.
> When I try to share a disk the sharing option is grayed out same with the
> printer. What am I overlooking?

dmex

Re: Sharing grayed out

The whole drive is shared on every vista and XP machine by default and
can be accessed allready without you changing anything.

--
dmex
jg211

Re: Sharing grayed out

i havent seemed to figure it out i have vista ultimate 32 bit and i used
to be able to share any folder on the hd now it is some how greyed out i
liked the fact i could play a game from one computer on another now i
cannot what happend??? could a program such as spybot adware or ccleaner
be the cause i dont seem to understand as the advanced sharing tab below
is able to be clicked my problems all seem to relate to a software
curruption of some sort on the pc when im on the 2nd machine with xp it
says

--
jg211
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Sharing grayed out
These search results may help.

a.. Why the Share is grayed out on Vista
A: If you disable File haring Wizard on the Vista, the Share would be
grayed out . Please refer to this how to for more information: How to
disable/enable ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/sharing2.htm

a.. grayed out for a root drive in Vista. It is recommended to share a >>
folder ... . On my Vista Laptop, the Share is grayed out because of the File
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...8037f203c0b2e0

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net