Can't connect to cable internet with Vista through my hub(8 pt swi

New_Vista_User

Can't connect to cable internet with Vista through my hub(8 pt swi
I know it isn't the cables or the switch because I plug an XP box into the
same cable and I have internet.
When I try to connect through my LAN, it says network cable unplugged, but
it isn't.
Vista box works directly from the modem though, so I also know that it isn't
a prob with the NIC.
Switch has a loopback addy of 127.0.0.1... but no LEDs are lighting up on
the card or the switch where I am plugged in...
Can someone please help me get my internet working through my hub.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
I just bought this computer and it has a pro Network: 10/100/1000 Mbps
Gigabit Ethernet Connector (RJ-45)
my new computer is here:
http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-...206583564.html

Bob F.

Re: Can't connect to cable internet with Vista through my hub(8 pt swi
"New_Vista_User" <New_Vista_User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know it isn't the cables or the switch because I plug an XP box into the
> same cable and I have internet.
> When I try to connect through my LAN, it says network cable unplugged, but
> it isn't.
> Vista box works directly from the modem though, so I also know that it
> isn't
> a prob with the NIC.
> Switch has a loopback addy of 127.0.0.1... but no LEDs are lighting up on
> the card or the switch where I am plugged in...
> Can someone please help me get my internet working through my hub.
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> I just bought this computer and it has a pro Network: 10/100/1000 Mbps
> Gigabit Ethernet Connector (RJ-45)
> my new computer is here:
> http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-...206583564.html

Nice computer! Now, what switch are you using and what modem? Who is your
provider. Into what ports is everything connected? Are you observing any
cross connect cable requirements between devices. (Some device will detect
this and take care of it automatically, and some will not). Can you do an
IP "config /all" from you computer?
BobF.

New_Vista_User

Re: Can't connect to cable internet with Vista through my hub(8 pt
Thanks Bob for your speedy reply...
the switch is a "Surecom EP-808X" and I have tried all ports, so it isn't a
bum port...
The Modem is a Motorola SB5102 cable modem.
I don't own any crossover cables, but I have seen others having
compatability issues between Surecom and Vista.
I did do a ipconfig /all and it told me that the media is disconnected and
that WINS proxy was disabled, and that it had no IP addy.
The network card is a Gigabit 10/100/1000 PCI-E pro card.
no lights blink on the card unless it is plugged directly into the modem...
the cable is fine because I can plug it into another XP box and it works
automatically

Modem Plugs into Uplink and then I plug Vista into port 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or
7...
nothing works.
unplug RJ45 from switch and directly into modem, I have internet.
If I plug this XP box into the same cable from the switch it works fine.

Thanks for your attention, Bob.

"Bob F." wrote:

> "New_Vista_User" <New_Vista_User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know it isn't the cables or the switch because I plug an XP box into the
> > same cable and I have internet.
> > When I try to connect through my LAN, it says network cable unplugged, but
> > it isn't.
> > Vista box works directly from the modem though, so I also know that it
> > isn't
> > a prob with the NIC.
> > Switch has a loopback addy of 127.0.0.1... but no LEDs are lighting up on
> > the card or the switch where I am plugged in...
> > Can someone please help me get my internet working through my hub.
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> > I just bought this computer and it has a pro Network: 10/100/1000 Mbps
> > Gigabit Ethernet Connector (RJ-45)
> > my new computer is here:
> > http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-...206583564.html
> >

> Nice computer! Now, what switch are you using and what modem? Who is your
> provider. Into what ports is everything connected? Are you observing any
> cross connect cable requirements between devices. (Some device will detect
> this and take care of it automatically, and some will not). Can you do an
> IP "config /all" from you computer?
> BobF.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Can't connect to cable internet with Vista through my hub(8 pt swi
Hi
Most cable ISP allows only one computer to connect at the same time and some
even use MAC authentication to allow only one specific computer to connect.
In order to use more than one computer you need a Cable/DSL Router.
In addition even if your ISP allows more than one computer it is very unsafe
to connect few computers directly to the Internet since you are Not forming
a private LAN but sits with you private information directly on the Internet
with ports open when you use the computers’ File and printer sharing.
An Entry Level Cable/DSL Router is a combo unit with Routing Circuits and a
Switch to connect few-wired computer.
An Entry Level Cable/DSL Wireless Router is a combo unit Routing Circuits
and a Switch to connect few-wired computer and an access point to allow
wireless computer too.
Any computer that is connected to the switch, or the Wireless Access Point
can become part of a Local network. The computers can use a single Internet
connection, and share Files and Printers regardless of whether it is Wired,
or Wireless.
Jack (MVP-Networking).