DHCP Service Fails to Start with "Access Denied" Error

cwilkens

DHCP Service Fails to Start with "Access Denied" Error
This morning, my laptop stopped connecting to the internet. I could see it
get hung up while getting an IP address.

After poking around, I discovered that the DHCP service repeatedly failed to
start. Specifically, it failed with an error 5 "Access Denied" message, and
continues to do so when I attempt to start it manually. So far I have
1. Ensured that all services on which DHCP is dependent are running (they are)
2. Played with the account to use for the DHCP service
3. Followed the directions in KB article 943996 which prescribes editing
permissions on registry keys.
4. Compared the dhcp security descriptor to that of the following post
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...=en-us&m=1&p=1
and observed that they were the same, except for an extra SACL. I did not
attempt to change the security descriptor, as I assumed it was just giving
extra permissions.

None of these things have had any effect, except that changing the user
account generated another error until I changed it back.

My computer is a Thinkpad X61 running Vista Business. I know of no new
software, updates, or anything that should have caused this issue.

Can anyone help with this problem? I can't generally use a static IP address.

Thanks!
jamesvdm

RE: DHCP Service Fails to Start with "Access Denied" Error
Lenovo machines ship with a heap of software that messes with network
settings, therefore I would run Thinkpad Software Update and apply all
updates from Lenovo.

I hope this helps you out.

James

"cwilkens" wrote:

> This morning, my laptop stopped connecting to the internet. I could see it
> get hung up while getting an IP address.
>
> After poking around, I discovered that the DHCP service repeatedly failed to
> start. Specifically, it failed with an error 5 "Access Denied" message, and
> continues to do so when I attempt to start it manually. So far I have
> 1. Ensured that all services on which DHCP is dependent are running (they are)
> 2. Played with the account to use for the DHCP service
> 3. Followed the directions in KB article 943996 which prescribes editing
> permissions on registry keys.
> 4. Compared the dhcp security descriptor to that of the following post
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...=en-us&m=1&p=1
> and observed that they were the same, except for an extra SACL. I did not
> attempt to change the security descriptor, as I assumed it was just giving
> extra permissions.
>
> None of these things have had any effect, except that changing the user
> account generated another error until I changed it back.
>
> My computer is a Thinkpad X61 running Vista Business. I know of no new
> software, updates, or anything that should have caused this issue.
>
> Can anyone help with this problem? I can't generally use a static IP address.
>
> Thanks!

cwilkens

RE: DHCP Service Fails to Start with "Access Denied" Error
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried installing all Lenovo updates, but it
didn't help.

Ultimately, a "System Restore" to a time prior to the issue fixed it.