Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?

Mike Jacobs

Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?
I've tried posting this question on two other forums. I need the help of the
pros on this one!

Once I open IE7 or FF it will not connect to the internet. No other apps
work via internet either. I've disconnected the cable modem and rebooted and
still get the same thing. Once I hit the "check for solution" on the IE
screen, it says my connection is fine. I've tried this setup on my 2nd HD on
the computer (XP) and it works great. Why is it my Vista 64 setup isn't
working correctly. I've looked through my ipconfig/all command. I've virus
checked (and safe boot w/check). I am in serious debt to whomever can help
me. I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything that helps. I
really do not want to format just for this one issue. Is there something in
the Event Viewer I could pull up and see what's going on, or post my config?
Please help!

Thanks,
Mike
jamesvdm

RE: Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?
Hi Mike

Sometimes disabling IPv6 can help with Vista network issues. Try doing this
using instructions in the first post here
http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Di...pict39723.html

Reboot after that.

Good luck.

James

"Mike Jacobs" wrote:

> I've tried posting this question on two other forums. I need the help of the
> pros on this one!
>
> Once I open IE7 or FF it will not connect to the internet. No other apps
> work via internet either. I've disconnected the cable modem and rebooted and
> still get the same thing. Once I hit the "check for solution" on the IE
> screen, it says my connection is fine. I've tried this setup on my 2nd HD on
> the computer (XP) and it works great. Why is it my Vista 64 setup isn't
> working correctly. I've looked through my ipconfig/all command. I've virus
> checked (and safe boot w/check). I am in serious debt to whomever can help
> me. I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything that helps. I
> really do not want to format just for this one issue. Is there something in
> the Event Viewer I could pull up and see what's going on, or post my config?
> Please help!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Rob A.

RE: Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?
This might be the last resort but I had the same problem and tried all of the
suggested solutions in other forums to no avail including :

- ipconfig release and renew
- disconnect firewall
- turn off user account control
- change power settings
- disable ipv6
- Disable and reenable BFE
- Used Network Magic

The only thing that worked for me was to reinstall vista. It took hours but
it was worth it.

"Mike Jacobs" wrote:

> I've tried posting this question on two other forums. I need the help of the
> pros on this one!
>
> Once I open IE7 or FF it will not connect to the internet. No other apps
> work via internet either. I've disconnected the cable modem and rebooted and
> still get the same thing. Once I hit the "check for solution" on the IE
> screen, it says my connection is fine. I've tried this setup on my 2nd HD on
> the computer (XP) and it works great. Why is it my Vista 64 setup isn't
> working correctly. I've looked through my ipconfig/all command. I've virus
> checked (and safe boot w/check). I am in serious debt to whomever can help
> me. I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything that helps. I
> really do not want to format just for this one issue. Is there something in
> the Event Viewer I could pull up and see what's going on, or post my config?
> Please help!
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Mike Jacobs

RE: Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?
I've tried them all! Ah, i hope a fresh install will correct the problem.
Thanks for the help...

"Rob A." wrote:

> This might be the last resort but I had the same problem and tried all of the
> suggested solutions in other forums to no avail including :
>
> - ipconfig release and renew
> - disconnect firewall
> - turn off user account control
> - change power settings
> - disable ipv6
> - Disable and reenable BFE
> - Used Network Magic
>
> The only thing that worked for me was to reinstall vista. It took hours but
> it was worth it.
>

> "Mike Jacobs" wrote:
>
> > I've tried posting this question on two other forums. I need the help of the
> > pros on this one!
> >
> > Once I open IE7 or FF it will not connect to the internet. No other apps
> > work via internet either. I've disconnected the cable modem and rebooted and
> > still get the same thing. Once I hit the "check for solution" on the IE
> > screen, it says my connection is fine. I've tried this setup on my 2nd HD on
> > the computer (XP) and it works great. Why is it my Vista 64 setup isn't
> > working correctly. I've looked through my ipconfig/all command. I've virus
> > checked (and safe boot w/check). I am in serious debt to whomever can help
> > me. I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything that helps. I
> > really do not want to format just for this one issue. Is there something in
> > the Event Viewer I could pull up and see what's going on, or post my config?
> > Please help!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike

Rob A.

RE: Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?
Good luck. After I did it, I am wondering if I needed to do such a radical
step. For instance, I may have been able to attain the same result bu
uninstalling the network devices and reinstalling them. In any case, if you
decide to reistall Vista, make sure you back up your files (mail, documents,
etc.).

"Mike Jacobs" wrote:

> I've tried them all! Ah, i hope a fresh install will correct the problem.
> Thanks for the help...
>
> "Rob A." wrote:
>
> > This might be the last resort but I had the same problem and tried all of the
> > suggested solutions in other forums to no avail including :
> >
> > - ipconfig release and renew
> > - disconnect firewall
> > - turn off user account control
> > - change power settings
> > - disable ipv6
> > - Disable and reenable BFE
> > - Used Network Magic
> >
> > The only thing that worked for me was to reinstall vista. It took hours but
> > it was worth it.
> >

> > "Mike Jacobs" wrote:
> >
> > > I've tried posting this question on two other forums. I need the help of the
> > > pros on this one!
> > >
> > > Once I open IE7 or FF it will not connect to the internet. No other apps
> > > work via internet either. I've disconnected the cable modem and rebooted and
> > > still get the same thing. Once I hit the "check for solution" on the IE
> > > screen, it says my connection is fine. I've tried this setup on my 2nd HD on
> > > the computer (XP) and it works great. Why is it my Vista 64 setup isn't
> > > working correctly. I've looked through my ipconfig/all command. I've virus
> > > checked (and safe boot w/check). I am in serious debt to whomever can help
> > > me. I've looked and looked and I haven't found anything that helps. I
> > > really do not want to format just for this one issue. Is there something in
> > > the Event Viewer I could pull up and see what's going on, or post my config?
> > > Please help!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike

craig28

Re: Cannot connect to internet, yet I have a connection?

Try this and let me know.
'Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233)

--
craig28