File sharing

Leo10

File sharing
I need to get my vista machine to file share with my mac os x machine and i
cant seem to figure this out. It someone could help.
Brink

Re: File sharing

Leo10;619694 Wrote:
> I need to get my vista machine to file share with my mac os x machine
> and i
> cant seem to figure this out. It someone could help.

Hi Leo,

I do not know if it possible or the procedures for a Mac, but this will
show you how to setup things in Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...ng-enable.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mick Murphy

Re: File sharing
Shaun, Malke has the answer to this!
I forgot to copy it!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Brink" wrote:

> Leo10;619694 Wrote:
> > I need to get my vista machine to file share with my mac os x machine
> > and i
> > cant seem to figure this out. It someone could help.

> Hi Leo,
>
> I do not know if it possible or the procedures for a Mac, but this will
> show you how to setup things in Vista.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...ng-enable.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> Brink

> '*Vista Forums*'
> (http://www.vistax64.com/index.php?referrerid=2980)

Mick Murphy

RE: File sharing
If you don't get your answer, start a new thread:

"File sharing: Mac and Vista?"

That way it will be noticed.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Mick Murphy;620434 Wrote:
> Shaun, Malke has the answer to this!
> I forgot to copy it!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>
> > Leo10;619694 Wrote:
> > I need to get my vista machine to file share with my mac os x machine
> > and i
> > cant seem to figure this out. It someone could help.> >

Thanks Mick, that allowed me to find it.

Leo,

Here is the link that Mick is referring to. I hope it helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...vista-mac.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Malke

Re: File sharing
Leo10 wrote:

> I need to get my vista machine to file share with my mac os x machine and
> i cant seem to figure this out. It someone could help.

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP.

You must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista.
You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines.

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Malke