how to add name to file sharing permission

Tiffany

how to add name to file sharing permission
Hi,

My office is using Window Vista. We are small business enterprise. I have
created a workgroup for all the people working here (only 4 of us). I have
some files which i want to share with some people. How can i add their names
in the file sharing permission. I tried but not able to do so. Can you help?

Thanks
Tiffany

RE: how to add name to file sharing permission
sorry... to add, i did try to type in my colleague's computer name but it
return error and the error msg is "unable to locate user xxxxxx-PC". I
checked and the name is correct. What could have gone wrong?

Kindly advise

"Tiffany" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My office is using Window Vista. We are small business enterprise. I have
> created a workgroup for all the people working here (only 4 of us). I have
> some files which i want to share with some people. How can i add their names
> in the file sharing permission. I tried but not able to do so. Can you help?
>
> Thanks

Mick Murphy

RE: how to add name to file sharing permission

Permissions/Share info is there as well, down towaeds the bottom .

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from another computer.

..

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Tiffany" wrote:

> sorry... to add, i did try to type in my colleague's computer name but it
> return error and the error msg is "unable to locate user xxxxxx-PC". I
> checked and the name is correct. What could have gone wrong?
>
> Kindly advise
>
> "Tiffany" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > My office is using Window Vista. We are small business enterprise. I have
> > created a workgroup for all the people working here (only 4 of us). I have
> > some files which i want to share with some people. How can i add their names
> > in the file sharing permission. I tried but not able to do so. Can you help?
> >
> > Thanks

Malke

Tiffany wrote:

> sorry... to add, i did try to type in my colleague's computer name but it
> return error and the error msg is "unable to locate user xxxxxx-PC". I
> checked and the name is correct. What could have gone wrong?
>
> Kindly advise
>
> "Tiffany" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My office is using Window Vista. We are small business enterprise. I have
>> created a workgroup for all the people working here (only 4 of us). I
>> have some files which i want to share with some people. How can i add
>> their names in the file sharing permission. I tried but not able to do
>> so. Can you help?

In a Workgroup (peer-to-peer; i.e., without a server) environment,
authentication is done on the local computer. You need to add matching user
accounts/passwords on all the machines and then the computer hosting the
shared resource will allow the connection from the computer requesting it.
With only four machines, this is not an onerous task.

You do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Malke
--