Lan questions... vista ultimate... home network...please help.

Neerav

Lan questions... vista ultimate... home network...please help.
i have two vista machines connected to a router which in turn connects me to
the internet. the network is all set and internet is working fine. one
machines is a desktop wired to the router and other is a wireless laptop. i
have enabled file sharing in network sharing options in each computer. as a
result windows media player is able to play music on the other computer.
what i want is that each machine could access a particular drive of the
other machine like it is one networked pcs. i cannot find the settings for
the same. call i can do is play music on the other pc.

also, what is map network drive?

the following options are on in network sharing...

network discovery ON
File sharing ON
oublic folder sharing ON
Password proteted sharing Off
Media Sharing ON

Mick Murphy

RE: Lan questions... vista ultimate... home network...please help.

Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Neerav" wrote:

> i have two vista machines connected to a router which in turn connects me to
> the internet. the network is all set and internet is working fine. one
> machines is a desktop wired to the router and other is a wireless laptop. i
> have enabled file sharing in network sharing options in each computer. as a
> result windows media player is able to play music on the other computer.
> what i want is that each machine could access a particular drive of the
> other machine like it is one networked pcs. i cannot find the settings for
> the same. call i can do is play music on the other pc.
>
> also, what is map network drive?
>
> the following options are on in network sharing...
>
> network discovery ON
> File sharing ON
> oublic folder sharing ON
> Password proteted sharing Off
> Media Sharing ON

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Lan questions... vista ultimate... home network...please help.
Hi
Here you have a simple explanation to Mapping,
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#map
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Neerav" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>i have two vista machines connected to a router which in turn connects me
>to the internet. the network is all set and internet is working fine. one
>machines is a desktop wired to the router and other is a wireless laptop. i
>have enabled file sharing in network sharing options in each computer. as a
>result windows media player is able to play music on the other computer.
>what i want is that each machine could access a particular drive of the
>other machine like it is one networked pcs. i cannot find the settings for
>the same. call i can do is play music on the other pc.
>
> also, what is map network drive?
>
> the following options are on in network sharing...
>
> network discovery ON
> File sharing ON
> oublic folder sharing ON
> Password proteted sharing Off
> Media Sharing ON

Neerav

Re: Lan questions... vista ultimate... home network...please help.
i would like both my networked computers to have fixed ips rather than
dynamic ones. i checked the router's gui but couldnt find any option under
lan that could help me.

if i directly fill in the ip i want in lan properities will it do or do i
need some router settings? also, what should i fill in the subnet mask and
dns?

Neerav