Windows Vista Loses Wireless Profile on Reboot

sgeoffrey

Windows Vista Loses Wireless Profile on Reboot

Windows Vista Notebook just purchased at Christmas from Dell, with a
Linksys WRV200 wireless router.

Wired access via this router works great from a separate computer
(desktop).

However, wireless access has some strange issues. Can create the
wireless profile and enter the WPA password and connect to the router
wirelessly just fine and surf away. But, after the notebook is
shutdown and fired back up, attempts to connect to that same wireless
connection (same one used 10 minutes earlier) causes Vista to announce
it can not use the profile. Eventually removing, rebooting and
recreating the wireless profile allows the connection until the next
time the notebook is shutdown.

I am not sure whether there are artifacts of a corrupt profile that
keep coming back to haunt us every time we recreate the profile
eventhough we believe we have removed it each time?

From the research I have already done I don't believe the issue should
be the age of the router vs the way Vista handles wireless, nor should
the firmware be too far out of date on the wireless router
(hopefully). Vista also has not been patched at all for a patch to
have been the issue.

Scott
Barb Bowman

Re: Windows Vista Loses Wireless Profile on Reboot
need to see an ipconfig /all when it is in this bad condition
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

also please DO check the firmware on the router and confirm it is
the latest available

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
sgeoffrey

On Feb 19, 6:07*am, Barb Bowman <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> need to see an ipconfig /all when it is in this bad conditionhttp://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipconfig-all-how-to-get-text-o...
>
> also please DO check the firmware on the router and confirm it is
> the latest available
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:10:20 -0800 (PST), sgeoffrey
>

> <scottgeoff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Windows Vista Notebook just purchased at Christmas from Dell, with a
> >Linksys WRV200 wireless router.

> >Wired access via this router works great from a separate computer
> >(desktop).

> >However, wireless access has some strange issues. *Can create the
> >wireless profile and enter the WPA password and connect to the router
> >wirelessly just fine and surf away. *But, after the notebook is
> >shutdown and fired back up, attempts to connect to that same wireless
> >connection (same one used 10 minutes earlier) causes Vista to announce
> >it can not use the profile. *Eventually removing, rebooting and
> >recreating the wireless profile allows the connection until the next
> >time the notebook is shutdown.

> >I am not sure whether there are artifacts of a corrupt profile that
> >keep coming back to haunt us every time we recreate the profile
> >eventhough we believe we have removed it each time?

> >From the research I have already done I don't believe the issue should
> >be the age of the router vs the way Vista handles wireless, nor should
> >the firmware be too far out of date on the wireless router
> >(hopefully). *Vista also has not been patched at all for a patch to
> >have been the issue.

> >Scott

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

This is what happens when you are not paying attention and are helping
someone over the phone.... :-)

Turns out the OS is XP so I will repost with more info in the right
forum.....