Vista & XP Printer Share Problems

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9uZXM1NTg=?=

Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
I am having trouble connecting to shared printers on XP based machines from
any Vista machine I try.
The printers are shared correctly and other XP, 2000, 98SE, etc. machines
can connect to them fine.
One machine has an HP 1100 LaserJet attached and is using the default HP
1100 LaserJet (MS) driver.
Another has a Canon iP1700 attached and is using Canon's latest driver from
their website.

For the HP, Vista will see the share, but when you try to connect it just
says "Access Denied."

For the Canon, Vista will see the share, you can connect, and it will pull
the correct driver and install the printer. When you try to print it will
spool the job for a couple seconds, but nothing ever comes out of the printer
and the job just disappears. Also on the XP machine the Canon is connected to
the Event log shows this error:
>Event Type: Error
>Event Source: Print
>Event Category: None
>Event ID: 6161
>Date: 3/7/2007
>Time: 11:26:52 PM
>User: BN-GOLD\Guest
>Computer:
>The document Test Page owned by Guest failed to print on printer Canon iP1700. Data type: NT EMF >1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 717461. Number of bytes printed: 32. Total number of pages in the >document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\192.168.0.30. Win32 error code returned by >the print processor: 259 (0x103).

Note: The HP and Canon printers are on separate XP machines. Also I have
more than one Vista machine and the same thing happens on all.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I
verified that all the permissions on the XP machines are correct. I have also
tried adding the printers to Vista as Local Ports using the UNC paths. If any
more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
=?Utf-8?B?ZWRkeWFk?=

RE: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
Hi, try the following link which gives a link to a Microsoft help site and I
am sure it will solve your problem as it did for me.
http://www.winvistabeta.com/groups/1...k/message.aspx
It is a problem of the IRPStackSize on the XP machine.

"Bones558" wrote:

> I am having trouble connecting to shared printers on XP based machines from
> any Vista machine I try.
> The printers are shared correctly and other XP, 2000, 98SE, etc. machines
> can connect to them fine.
> One machine has an HP 1100 LaserJet attached and is using the default HP
> 1100 LaserJet (MS) driver.
> Another has a Canon iP1700 attached and is using Canon's latest driver from
> their website.
>
> For the HP, Vista will see the share, but when you try to connect it just
> says "Access Denied."
>
> For the Canon, Vista will see the share, you can connect, and it will pull
> the correct driver and install the printer. When you try to print it will
> spool the job for a couple seconds, but nothing ever comes out of the printer
> and the job just disappears. Also on the XP machine the Canon is connected to
> the Event log shows this error:
> >Event Type: Error
> >Event Source: Print
> >Event Category: None
> >Event ID: 6161
> >Date: 3/7/2007
> >Time: 11:26:52 PM
> >User: BN-GOLD\Guest
> >Computer:
> >The document Test Page owned by Guest failed to print on printer Canon iP1700. Data type: NT EMF >1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 717461. Number of bytes printed: 32. Total number of pages in the >document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\192.168.0.30. Win32 error code returned by >the print processor: 259 (0x103).

> Note: The HP and Canon printers are on separate XP machines. Also I have
> more than one Vista machine and the same thing happens on all.
>
> Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? I
> verified that all the permissions on the XP machines are correct. I have also
> tried adding the printers to Vista as Local Ports using the UNC paths. If any
> more info is needed, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

lmmohr

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems

I finally whipped this SOB !!!

In trying to get a Vista Basic laptop to connect to a shared XP HP
Deskjet 2230 in my home network, I'd tried most of the suggestions on
the thread (and a lot of others, too)

The Vista machine would see the XP shared printer and go through the
setup process and even say it's been sucessful...but no print. I could
see the print request "hit" the destination printer, so figured the
problem was the driver.

Then I remembered that during the original setup, Windows would load
the driver automatically by going to the other computer. What I think
had happened is that that driver was the XP driver, not the native Vista
driver.

So here's what I did.

I had originally setup a Local Port on '\\-share' (file://\\share)
computer\share printer .-

I setup a another Local drive on LPT:1 and forced the driver selection
to Windows Update. It took a while to find the Vista driver for my
printer, but it loaded.

Now that I had the Vista driver for my printer loaded (over the
earlier one) I ssimply went back to the LPT:1 printer and changed to the
correct Local Port in the printer properties/port selection,

Hope this helps someone else.

Larry
K9LMM

--
lmmohr
Mick Murphy

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
You go to the Printer's manufacturur's site and download the vista compatible
Driver.
You never use Windows Update 3rd party hardware drivers!!!!!!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"lmmohr" wrote:

> I finally whipped this SOB !!!
>
> In trying to get a Vista Basic laptop to connect to a shared XP HP
> Deskjet 2230 in my home network, I'd tried most of the suggestions on
> the thread (and a lot of others, too)
>
> The Vista machine would see the XP shared printer and go through the
> setup process and even say it's been sucessful...but no print. I could
> see the print request "hit" the destination printer, so figured the
> problem was the driver.
>
> Then I remembered that during the original setup, Windows would load
> the driver automatically by going to the other computer. What I think
> had happened is that that driver was the XP driver, not the native Vista
> driver.
>
> So here's what I did.
>
> I had originally setup a Local Port on '\\-share' (file://\\share)
> computer\share printer .-
>
> I setup a another Local drive on LPT:1 and forced the driver selection
> to Windows Update. It took a while to find the Vista driver for my
> printer, but it loaded.
>
> Now that I had the Vista driver for my printer loaded (over the
> earlier one) I ssimply went back to the LPT:1 printer and changed to the
> correct Local Port in the printer properties/port selection,
>
> Hope this helps someone else.
>
> Larry
> K9LMM
>

> --
> lmmohr

lmmohr

Mick Murphy;773758 Wrote:
> You go to the Printer's manufacturur's site and download the vista
> compatible
> Driver.
> You never use Windows Update 3rd party hardware drivers!!!!!!
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "lmmohr" wrote:
> > > >

> > > I finally whipped this SOB !!!
> > >
> > > In trying to get a Vista Basic laptop to connect to a shared XP HP
> > > Deskjet 2230 in my home network, I'd tried most of the suggestions on
> > > the thread (and a lot of others, too)
> > >
> > > The Vista machine would see the XP shared printer and go through the
> > > setup process and even say it's been sucessful...but no print. I

> > could
> > > see the print request "hit" the destination printer, so figured the
> > > problem was the driver.
> > >
> > > Then I remembered that during the original setup, Windows would load
> > > the driver automatically by going to the other computer. What I

> > think
> > > had happened is that that driver was the XP driver, not the native

> > Vista
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > So here's what I did.
> > >
> > > I had originally setup a Local Port on '\\-share' (file://\\share)
> > > computer\share printer .-
> > >
> > > I setup a another Local drive on LPT:1 and forced the driver

> > selection
> > > to Windows Update. It took a while to find the Vista driver for my
> > > printer, but it loaded.
> > >
> > > Now that I had the Vista driver for my printer loaded (over the
> > > earlier one) I ssimply went back to the LPT:1 printer and changed to

> > the
> > > correct Local Port in the printer properties/port selection,
> > >
> > > Hope this helps someone else.
> > >
> > > Larry
> > > K9LMM
> > >

> > > --
> > > lmmohr

Mick...don't belive that's true. Windows Update is a MS function, not
Third Party and drivers have been signed and provide by the OEM to
Microsoft in most cases.

Larry

--
lmmohr
surfmavk

Re: Vista & XP Printer Share Problems
I have been bugged by this problem for months. The problem I still have is
that HP would load the Vista driver onto my XP computer. I have loaded the
printer driver for Vista on my Vista laptop but when I tried to do it with
the XP computer it would not load. Hence, I am still unable to wirelessly
connect my Vista laptop to the XP-shared printer.

This sucks so bad. What's next for me to try?

"lmmohr" wrote:

> Mick Murphy;773758 Wrote:
> > You go to the Printer's manufacturur's site and download the vista
> > compatible
> > Driver.
> > You never use Windows Update 3rd party hardware drivers!!!!!!
> > --
> > Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

> > > could

> > > think
> > > Vista

> > > selection

> > > the

> Mick...don't belive that's true. Windows Update is a MS function, not
> Third Party and drivers have been signed and provide by the OEM to
> Microsoft in most cases.
>
> Larry
>

> --
> lmmohr